Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Very strange number on Caller ID... my own!

Contributor

Very strange number on Caller ID... my own!

This morning at 10:12 AM my own telephone number was logged on my phone's Caller ID.  Sadly, I wasn't around to answer myself ;-)

Since my number is owned by Comcast, I assume the call was generated by Comcast.  Anyone else had this happen?  Any idea why it would happen?

TIA.

Regular Visitor

Re: Very strange number on Caller ID... my own!

I got a call this evening my name and number. Calling myself, that's a new one. but I did answer it to find out what was going on. It was from (Rachel from cardholders services). These calls from whoever these people are have been going on for some time now. But never used my name and number to call myself. I did call Ncc Police. I was told that someone else had called them about the same thing. They said that someone would call me back, but nothing yet. I don't know what this (Rachel) people are up too, but I would like to see them arrested....

New Poster

The very same thing happened to me @ 11:52 am today, June 18,2014.

I did answer the phone and a man who sounded Indian or MiddleEastern  told me he was calling from the anti-fraud dept of somewhere. I could not understand what he was saying, and told him so. Upon hearing that, he spoke even  louder sounding very annoyed with me. I told him I was  still not understanding what he was saying and I hung up on him.

Considering calling the local police, but not sure if I should contact them or somewhere else.

I would like to know  what other info he has about me.

Contributor

Well, if that was a legitimate call, I'll eat my hat.  Or anybody else's hat.  If it was legit, this is what companies get for outsourching their tech support.  And yeah, I'm looking at you, too, Comcast.  To be fair, I've only had one or two calls to Comcast support where I've had to ask the person to repeat themselves.  For frontline tech support (a relatively thankless job, lemme tell ya), they do seem well-trained and reasonably knowledgeable.

And while I don't want to come off as a cranky ol' paranoid hermit, I simply don't answer calls from numbers I don't recognize.  I used to, and 99 times out of 100, they were phishing, soliciting, or otherwise useless.  My philosophy is simple: if it's important, they'll leave a message.  I've had my credit card company leave me messages several times when they suspected fraud.  The tele-spammers never do.

Regular Visitor

I've been getting a lot of 'self' calls lately. Got one this morning, in fact. Kind of strange seeing my own number on the screen. I never answer them, and they never leave messages.

My question is: what is Comcast doing about all these spoofing calls? It's getting to where one cannot trust Caller ID any more. some of the 'numbers' I get are utterly nuts, and I'm running out of room blocking the repeat offenders.

I screen all my calls, and am beginning to think that maybe I should kill my landline- with a number I've had for over 20 years, and dissolve my 'triple play', since it's become a junk-catcher.

The ball is in your court, Comcast.

Regular Visitor

Same thing happened to me this morning, saw our last name oogling me on our phone.  I am already having issues with our phone and was on it last night but then the inevitable happened and i got thrown off.  We do screen our calls but we cant get our messages yet.  One more mountain to climb.  Boy aren't computers fun?  Tomorrow morning Im sleeping in.

Regular Contributor

Is it possible to add one's own home phone number to the blocked caller list to stop this sort of thing?

Regular Visitor

I wanted to add my name to the growing list of Comcast customers whose home telephone number is calling itself. My call came in on July 26th at 159p. I was not at home at the time. I believe that my number is being spoofed, but I do not know what to do about it.

New Poster

I got the same call today@ 9:30 am Nov 17, 2014.

I answered the phone. It was strange my name and phone number appeared on caller ID. It was a man's voice with an accent.  I also had a hard time understanding what he was saying....some of what I understood:  "Just as I got to your number, I could get to your computer" also he wanted me to type some program name and I hung up. Did not understand what program he wanted me to run.

My wife wants me to call the local police.

If this is a COMCAST bug, I think I may cancel my contract.

Service Expert

dhamid01 wrote:

I answered the phone. It was strange my name and phone number appeared on caller ID. It was a man's voice with an accent.  I also had a hard time understanding what he was saying....some of what I understood:  "Just as I got to your number, I could get to your computer" also he wanted me to type some program name and I hung up. Did not understand what program he wanted me to run.

It is not a COMcast bug.... it is a SPAMMER "spoofing" the callerID to showthe number he has dialed....  happening everywhere now...  don't fall for it!!!

-=Ray=-

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

My husband called my job and on my caller id at work, was another persons name with my telephone number listed. When I called Xfinity over the weekend, they assigned me another phone number I then sent the new phone number to everyone in my phone book. The phone number never was assigned. I then called again yesterday and the phone number is now assigned to someone else. How does that happen Xfinity. I am about to drop my landline and I will just use my cell phone for all phone calls.

New Poster

Adding my "voice" to the list.  Just received a call and Caller ID showed my name and number.  This has happened at least 6 times already.  I have not picked up the phone though.

New Poster

Add me to the list also!  Sometimes it is "Rachel at card member services..." at other times it is "Hello Seniors..."

I am trying to get registered with nomorobo.com but it is tough.

New Poster

It's happened a few time in the past week for me. Comcast rep said they were sending instructions on how to stop it but I never received the email. I plan to call them back after this.

Regular Contributor

Please post the instructions -- I would also like to know how to prevent this !

Thanks!

Service Expert

Anon465377 wrote:

Please post the instructions -- I would also like to know how to prevent this !

Thanks!

MyAccount ----->  Voice & Text ------> Preferences------->  Voice------->  CALL BLOCKING..... enter numbers there if they are legally formatted numbers.... you cannot add invalid numbers and unfortunately, SPOOFING/SPAMMERS do this on their end to get BY call-blocking features...

-=Ray=-

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Is it possible to add one's own number to the blocked list?  This issue that I've run into is that the Spammers are Spoofing my own phone number.

Service Expert

Anon465377 wrote:

Is it possible to add one's own number to the blocked list?  This issue that I've run into is that the Spammers are Spoofing my own phone number.

Nope.... I tried that a few months ago and it would not allow it....  sorry!!!!

-=Ray=-

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

No probelm, Ray.  

Thanks for the response, though.  I had tried to add my number to the blocked list also, but couldn't.

Regular Visitor

This happened to me once. When I answered there was no one on the other end. The call was cut short. Obviously a robocaller has tapped into our number to use as their out call number. Somewhere, someone may be receiving calls from my number saying "Hi, this is Rachel calling from credit card services."

Regular Visitor

dhamid01 wrote:

Calling the police in this instance will be useless. They cannot do anything. I get these type of calls a lot. Sometimes if I'm not busy and in a good mood I play along with them and keep on the line (waste their time). I even went along with one guy who had a grant for me. He gave a number to call and said he would call me once I talked to his supervisor at that number. When he did call back he asked me if I had spoken to his supervisor. I laid into him asking him just how stupid did he think I was. He cursed me and hung up. Never called back, at least not from that same number. Best thing to do is just hang up on them. Or, if you're like me, have some fun.

New Poster

Today, Mar 2, 2015, I also received a call from a spammer using my own phone information on caller ID.  While I appreciate that XfinityComcast has upped the # of blockable calls from 10 to 25, 25 is woefully inadequate.  And anyway - these people used MY number.  This was the spam from RACHEL FROM CARDHOLDER SERVICES which has a history for many years of hijacking people's phone numbers.  Comcast has to become involved or consider themselves complicit. Somebody is selling these numbers to spammers, and if it tunrs out to be Comcast, they make money out of it and indeed should be considered accomplices in this practice. 

Contributor

It's not Comcast...apparently, nefarious callers that don't want to be ignored have found a new way to get you to answer the phone. In one case, the dubious caller used the local VA's phone number; since my Dad is a WWII Vet and has used their services, I didn't hesitate to answer. The question is, how did they know that, and how did they manage to call via the VA's phone system? The robo-call turned out to be from a credit card company...their automated message began with "there's nothing wrong with your credit card", etc., but I hung up.The other call using my own phone number was the same sort of deal. This tactic appears to be a form of hacking, and therefore, is illegal.

Considering reporting this issue to the Attorney General's office. There's got to be a way to stop annoying robo-calls from using fake phone numbers to get us to answer.  

Regular Visitor

I recently installed "Nomorobo." Thought I'd give it a try. So far so good. This is a free service app that redirects robocallers to a dead end. It works on land lines (VOIP) but very few (if any) wireless carriers support it. When a robo caller called in the past I'd run to the phone to pick up just to be greeted by "Rachel" or one of her girlfriends. Now with Nomorobo I wait for a second ring. If it's a robocaller the phone rings once and redirects the call to an established "dead end," if you will. If it's a legit call the phone will continue to ring and I pick up. The Nomorobo system developer has registered thousands of numbers from robocallers that are now redirected. If you get a call go through (and it's happened once or twice) you register that number and hopefully you will not hear from them again. I know it's not foolproof. But it has cut down immensely on my jumping up to get the phone. My wife is beginning to learn. Wait for the second ring before answering. I am able to check the incoming numbers if I want to just to make sure that a legit number has not been blocked. I have spot checked several numbers and none of them were working numbers. You can identify a legit number and report to allow it access. Nomorobo of course does not prevent people from hijacking numbers like from the VA. If you want to give it a try (you can always delete it) just Google "Nomorobo" and follow the link to the site. Follow instructions carefully and it's simple. I skimmed over them and it took me forever to figure out that I hadn't followed the instructions properly.

Too bad this is not available for my wireless. Verizon, my carrier, does not support it. I have been trying an app called "Truecaller" which just identifies a spammer but allows the call to go through. When I see "SPAM" in the caller ID I ignore the call. One drawback, my directory under the letter "S" is filled with "SPAM" numbers that have been logged in. Haven't figured this out yet. I have a Windows phone. There may be better apps out there for Android and others.

Reporting the callers is a good idea but it's hard to catch them. Remember, our cells phones (and those who use them) have more technology to evade than NASA had to put the first rocket into orbit.

Regular Visitor

@ "ALD565" : As "grayreb" stated it's not Comcast. See my post regarding Nomorobo. Comcast supports it. I have Comcast service. It's been working for me.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats