Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Unable to port number from Vonage?

New Poster

Unable to port number from Vonage?

I'm trying to port a number currently serviced by Vonage to Xfinity voice as part of my triple play package and placed an order last week to port the number over.  I got a call from a CSR today who said it could not be done and there was "nothing she could  do" (always a great customer service response) due to something related to "rate centers" which she was unable to explain further.  I know Comcast ties rate centers to E911 service but I am still unable to comprehend how one VOIP provider (Vonage) can host my number at my current address (including E911) but another provider (Comcast) is unable to do the exact same thing??  Seems like am arbitrary limitation in Comcast's systems/policies.  Does anyone know a way to work through this or at least get a logical explanation for why it can not be done?

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Unable to port number from Vonage?

Can't really answer your question but you can file a complaint with the FCC online over number portablilty.  I presume they are saying that the number is located outside the area covered by your service center and that they can't transmit the location to 911.  But have no idea why they couldn't

http://www.fcc.gov/complaints

New Poster

i got the same line of bs from them. I cannot even get my Comcast voice hooked up. First lie was port my number from Vonage. Second was you can use the modem you have with no monthly cost. lies never end with comcast reps.So now I'm billed already for my Comcast phone(supposed to be in service today). But now we have a modem problem. I'm cancelling phone and will jsut keep paying vonage at least they have reliable service and good customer service. Was never unhappy with Vonage I just need to save some money on monthly bills. My Internet is $66.95 and vonage is another $35.08 but comcast could do it for 69.99 so I bit the bullet and did it. Now I cannot have my phone number i don't have an approved modem the list of bs goes on for a mile.

Regular Contributor

Like everybody else I was told I could port my ooma VOIP number to Comcast.  At least 4 Comcast people told me no problem!  I signed up for Voice and the service was activated but with a Comcast number.   I kept the ooma running for 3 months trying to get it ported until I finally talked to some one higher up at Comcast that could explain it to my satisfaction.

Because when I started with ooma years ago, you could choose your new number from a list or pay them $40 to port your number from Ma Bell.  Even though I had the same Ma Bell number for 20 years I was too cheap to port it.  I convinced myself and my wife it would be OK just to email everybody on our contact list the new number.  So I picked a number from the list in the same area code knowing full well I live in the biggest area code calling area on the planet.  You had to register your exact address with ooma for the E911 to work. 

Turns out E911 "rate areas" for Ma Bell and Comcast are not like VOIP numbers, they are tied to your billing address.  The ooma number I pick was from another nearby town, not the one on my mailing (billing) address.

So if you have a VOIP service like Vonnage, check where your rate center is according to their records before you try to port.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation