Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Thinking of switching to CDV from Vonage

Regular Contributor

Thinking of switching to CDV from Vonage

I am thinking of switching to CDV from Vonage.  Had a few questions.

Currently we have vonage and sbc basic pots.  Which have what vonage calls NAN backup where if vonage or internet goes down it rolls over to a number you designate.  So in this case I have it go to my sbc land line.  Does comcast offer some thing like this where I could forward it to my cell phone?

What does the web interface look like?

In general what does every one think of it positive/negative...better then VoIP, POTS, etc.

TIA!
Most Valued Poster

Re: Thinking of switching to CDV from Vonage

GDM_Husky wrote:
I am thinking of switching to CDV from Vonage.  Had a few questions.

Currently we have vonage and sbc basic pots.  Which have what vonage calls NAN backup where if vonage or internet goes down it rolls over to a number you designate.  So in this case I have it go to my sbc land line.  Does comcast offer some thing like this where I could forward it to my cell phone?

What does the web interface look like?

In general what does every one think of it positive/negative...better then VoIP, POTS, etc.

TIA!

The equipment that comes with Comcast Digital has a 8 hour back up battery. So if you do not use your phone much, that battery will last a good while.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Regular Contributor

I know what comes with CDV but that doesn't answer my question.  CDV could be out just by itself and in that case the battery backup does squat.

Again my question still stands.
Most Valued Poster

GDM_Husky wrote:
I know what comes with CDV but that doesn't answer my question.  CDV could be out just by itself and in that case the battery backup does squat.

Interesting!! 5 Moderator's on this Board and still NO Reply
Most Valued Poster

GDM_Husky wrote:

Did you check out the Q&A'a  lots of answers there.Smiley Wink
Regular Contributor

Yes I did and it's not even talked about.
Most Valued Poster

GDM, hopefully this will help.  Comcast, like most other ISPs have (hopefully in your service area) their facility on backup power source, such that if your community you live in does lose commercial power Comcast will still generate a signal.  The modem Comcast provides serves both HSI access and your CDV, and should come equipped with an 8-hour battery life as backup.  So if the commercial power goes out, and your local Comcast center does not, then you will still have phone service.

I've had two outages since I've had CDV installed in Oct '05, and both times had phone service. 

Of importantance here, you should have a standard analog phone in the event your house does lose commercial power, cause if you have cordless phones they need commercial power to function.  Now if you have battery back up system for your cordless phones, this will work.

I'm not familiar with CDV if the system can roll calls to another number.
But don't take my word for it, ask a Comcast Forum Expert, or goto http://www.dslreports.com/

Signature courtesy of Bladerunner
Regular Contributor

Thanks for info and it's good to know.  The NAN is just a nice saftey backup that I am not sure I want to give up.  Comcast sales has no clue.
Most Valued Poster

GDM_Husky wrote:
  Comcast sales has no clue.

If they don't KNOW! I would say forget it! Smiley Sad Keep what you have..
Regular Contributor

I would but I saw some where on here or another forum that they did have it.  It would be nice if a comcast rep could respond or if some one that has CDV look in the web interface for it.
Most Valued Poster

Regular Contributor

doesn't show what i am talking about
Most Valued Poster

GDM_Husky,

At this time, no, Comcast CDV does not offer the ability to have your calls auto-forwarded to an alternate number if they cannot be completed.  As for call forwarding, CDV does offer Call Forwarding Selective, which will allow you to set up a list of callers who will always be forwarded to a number you specify.  And there is Call Forwarding Variable, which will forward all calls to a designated phone number - this is the closest feature to what you are looking for but the difference is that you will have to enable this feature in order for the calls to be forwarded.

As for the homepage for the digial voice portal, I don't have any links to actually show you exactly what the portal looks like, but here are some FAQs on CDV that help describe some of the features and how to use them:

What can I view on the Home screen of the Comcast Digital Voice® DVC?
What can I view on the Call History screen of the Comcast Digital Voice® DVC?

Along with a few additional FAQs located here to help answer a few additional questions.

As for the quality of the service, I personally don't have this service myself but the general consensus of customers who have the service (a few threads that discuss the service: one, two) is that they like the service.  Some of the major differences is that POTS uses the old fashioned telephone technology while CDV and other VoIP services utilize more of a completely digital technology so the sound is cleaner and is generally less staticy.  And the difference between CDV and VoIP is that VoIP piggy-backs on top of your Internet connection so if you are downloading intensively on the Internet at the same time you are on a VoIP phone service, these activities can affect each other which can cause VoIP packets to become delayed and cause other degraded Internet and phone performance.  But with CDV, this service operates on a different bandwidth from your Internet connection so you can remain online and on the phone and neither service will experience any degredation in quality.  Also, many of the VoIP services do not offer a true e-911 service so if you need to make an emergency 911 call on a VoIP line, you may not always be routed to your closest 911 center which can cause delays in these types of emergencies.  But with CDV, a true e-911 service is provided to you so you can be guaranteed to have any 911 calls routed correctly in your area.

Overall, since I am a Comcast employee and representative here, my opinions on CDV versus VoIP may be a little biased so I may not be able to provide you with the evidence you are looking for but perhaps other forum members who drop by here who have the service might be able to post their feedback on the service.

Hope this helps to answer your questions but let us know if you have any more.

Forgot to finish a sentence before submitting initial post.

Message Edited by Jason1 on 08-24-2006 04:53 PM

Most Valued Poster

GDM_Husky wrote:
I would but I saw some where on here or another forum that they did have it.  It would be nice if a comcast rep could respond or if some one that has CDV look in the web interface for it.

GDM, I logged into the CDV web interface, and there is no mention of NAN.  Because Vonage had this service, this meant that they experienced quite a few disruptions such they needed this capability.  Keep in mind that Vonage is still relatively new and don't have the infrastructure Comcast does.  At least in my area, my service has been great for my TV, Internet and phone!
But don't take my word for it, ask a Comcast Forum Expert, or goto http://www.dslreports.com/

Regular Contributor

Jason1 thanks for the feedback and everyone else.  Hopefully some more users will chime in but I may go ahead and switch.
Most Valued Poster

GDM_Husky wrote:
Jason1 thanks for the feedback and everyone else.  Hopefully some more users will chime in but I may go ahead and switch.

Hi,

It's still early in the Day..  you might get more feed back later on tonight!
Regular Contributor

I went and tested out someone's CDV and liked it.  On the phone now trying to get it but for some reason the system can't port my vonage #.  On hold while they try to figure out why.  They can't figure out why the port system won't allow it to switch.  Rate center and everything matches so now they are going to try to find out why and call me back.

Message Edited by GDM_Husky on 08-25-2006 10:02 AM

Most Valued Poster

GDM_Husky wrote:
I went and tested out someone's CDV and liked it.  On the phone now trying to get it but for some reason the system can't port my vonage #.  On hold while they try to figure out why.  They can't figure out why the port system won't allow it to switch.  Rate center and everything matches so now they are going to try to find out why and call me back.

Message Edited by GDM_Husky on 08-25-2006 10:02 AM

I bet Vonage is trying to Block the switching over..  I heard that Verzion tries the same thing and gives the other Company's alot of trouble.. they don't want to lose you!  LOL!!   Do you have a "Pic" Freeze on your line?? That might cause a problem too...

Good Luck and keep us posted!!
Regular Contributor

What's a Pic freeze?
Most Valued Poster

GDM_Husky wrote:
What's a Pic freeze?

I forgot what the "PIC" Stands for, but no changes can be made on your Account without your Approval.. I have that plus a Password too..  I got Slammed 2 times  , so now I have a "PIC" Freeze..

You might have to call Vonage and give them Permission to release your Account to Comcast?? 
Regular Contributor

I have never heard of that for VoIP let alone Vonage.  Now a regular POTS line yes you can get slammed but haven't heard anyone getting slammed on VoIP
Expert

I think the original purpose of PIC freezes was to prevent unwanted changes to your default long distance carrier. But maybe it has been extended to normal phone service, because of number portability.
Contributor

Today was my third try over several days to explore the Comcast site, where I was prompted to install Flash8.  Each time I tried,  I got "Page Not Found". 

In my research thus far, I like the idea of Comcast doing the installing. I was told that all extensions would work, and that my home security system would also work without problems.

My interest lies in saving long distance charges for calling out of state.

However, with the add-ons, my basic land line local phone bill is $12.95/mo, but with the add-ons comes to $29.31. With the $39.95+add-ons after a year if I take the promo, that's a heft sum for me.

I have been a subscriber through 3 changes of ownership (Viacom, Excite, @Home) before Comcast,. Though the brochure I received promoting $33/mo for 12 months all 3 services "for customers in good standing"  I  have been told by 3 phone reps that the offer is only for new customers.  I would get the $33/mo/12mo, but that would be added to my current bill.

I have considered some sort of pre-paid cell phone for an emergency.

I have enjoyed reading through the site.

Thank you.

Frequent Visitor

Drewby wrote:

GDM_Husky wrote:

Interesting!! 5 Moderator's on this Board and still NO Reply

Well I just came from the land of SBC and COX cable. A couple of years ago COX installed generators every couple of blocks in town.

Here in a rural setting with all the Comcast package if there is power lost it is your battery on your modem and a couple hanging on the poles. And 6-8 hours would be a good guess as long as everybody stayed off line.
Most Valued Poster

Stick with Vonage and save $15 a month. (Okay, save $8 a month for the first year, and then $15 thereafter). Comcast should offer a much more competitive rate for customers that have Cable TV, HSI, and phone service with them!!! As for me, I have my cell phones for long distance, and my EXTREMEMLY reliable land line phone service which only costs about $46 a month tax and all(with caller ID and call waiting deluxe). I'm not willing to sacrifice my phones dependablility to save only $6 or $7. (Probably less savings than that after you add in the various fees and taxes)

(fixt improper cipherin')

Message Edited by BluegrassMan on 08-29-2006 08:00 PM

Firefox 3
Regular Contributor

Update:

Well called comcast back since no word.  Talked to tech support today and it looked like the order was going to go through and did the same thing.  So now tech support is on it and he hopes to have it fixed by tomorrow, we shall see.  He said no reason for it not to take at all.

First off Vonage isn't as good it's too choppy as of late and no resolution from them on that.  I pay $29 with taxes for vonage.and have a SBC line as a back up just plan old POTS with caller id and it costs $21 so I won't be saving anything per say but consoldiating.  SBC/ATT unlimited phone service is a joke $48.95 and after taxes it's $65.

Update #2:

Just got the call back from the tech support person and we completed the order.  Install is set for next week got free install and first month free.

Message Edited by GDM_Husky on 08-30-2006 12:02 PM

Most Valued Poster

Hi,

Keep us posted.. I am very curious about this Service, but would never give up my land line..
Most Valued Poster

Drewby wrote:
Hi,

Keep us posted.. I am very curious about this Service, but would never give up my land line..

Drewby, but CDV is another land line service.  You remind me of Linus, get rid of the security blanket!

Most Valued Poster

N3tb0y wrote:

Drewby wrote:
Hi,

Drewby, but CDV is another land line service.  You remind me of Linus, get rid of the security blanket!

Yes, but with one major difference. When our HSI service is out (which happens all too much here) my landline phone still works Smiley Wink
Firefox 3
Most Valued Poster

BluegrassMan wrote:

N3tb0y wrote:

Drewby wrote:
Hi,

Yes, but with one major difference. When our HSI service is out (which happens all too much here) my landline phone still works Smiley Wink

Yep! And no Battery Back Up needed!   LOL!!
Most Valued Poster

BluegrassMan wrote:

N3tb0y wrote:

Drewby wrote:
Hi,

BGM and Drewby, do you guys have cordless phones on your landline phone?

Most Valued Poster

N3tb0y wrote:

BluegrassMan wrote:

N3tb0y wrote:

Drewby wrote:
Hi,

BGM and Drewby, do you guys have cordless phones on your landline phone?

Hi,

I have 8 Phones on one line and only one of them is a Cordless!   
Most Valued Poster

I have both cordless and corded N3. Although I must say in the 4 years I've lived in this house, I have only had one power outage of any duration (about 10 minutes). Wish I could say the same for my HSI! I'd conservatively guess my HSI has been out no less than 20 times in the past year. Sometimes for an hour or two, other times over 24 hours.
Firefox 3
Most Valued Poster

Drewby wrote:
Hi,

Then I guess that one, doesn't work when the power goes out.

Expert

>>"I have 8 Phones on one line and only one of them is a Cordless!"

That many ?........

Hmmm.......  exactly what, goes on behind closed doors at your premises, Drewby ???

Message Edited by EG on 08-30-2006 09:03 PM

Most Valued Poster

BluegrassMan wrote:
I have both cordless and corded N3. Although I must say in the 4 years I've lived in this house, I have only had one power outage of any duration (about 10 minutes). Wish I could say the same for my HSI! I'd conservatively guess my HSI has been out no less than 20 times in the past year. Sometimes for an hour or two, other times over 24 hours.

WOW, I'd be one high strung person at Comcasts desk, during office hours of course, just being a nuisance so they understand  why majority of their customers are **bleep**off!

(Sorry, that was my out loud voice)

Most Valued Poster

N3tb0y wrote:

Drewby wrote:
Hi,

Then I guess that one, doesn't work when the power goes out.

7 out 8  ain't bad!  LOL!!  Reason that I have cordless is for outside, otherwise.. I wouldn't bother with Cordless.. 
Most Valued Poster

Yep. I think I've called Comcast more the past year than I've called my own mother!! That's a sad, sad fact.Smiley Sad
Firefox 3
Most Valued Poster

EG wrote:
>>"I have 8 Phones on one line and only one of them is a Cordless!"

That many ?........

Hmmm.......  exactly what, goes on behind closed doors at your premises, Drewby ???

Message Edited by EG on 08-30-2006 09:03 PM

LOL!!!  I have 2 numbers on One Line, plus Fax...   My Doors are always Opened!  LOL!! 
Most Valued Poster

Drewby wrote:

LOL!!!  I have 2 numbers on One Line, plus Fax...   My Doors are always Opened!  LOL!! 

And just what doors are we talking about here?

Most Valued Poster

BluegrassMan wrote:
Yep. I think I've called Comcast more the past year than I've called my own mother!! That's a sad, sad fact.Smiley Sad

LOL!!!!
Most Valued Poster

We are just waitng to get a call from Comcast. Boy $33.00 a month for a year. The equipment has an 8 hour back up battrey. So that would last a very long time. Even if the power is off, the phone will work. Now we have a few cordless that will not, but one wall that will.
I cannot wait. Oh and we also have cells so we are all covered
Oh to the question of the power and the cell, just plug it into the car.Smiley Wink
New Poster

Hi, yes. CDV has a feature of forwarding your phone calls to a certain phone number after a specific ring count, or if your CDV is not available. Smiley Happy