Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Telephony modem - rent v purchase

New Poster

Telephony modem - rent v purchase

I have called into Comcast call center 3 times over the past 2 days.  I currently  have Comcast internet and phone. Instead of renting a modem I wish to buy one (am renting an almost 5 year old modem).  I was told by one rep I could buy one, I was told by another rep I could not.  I was told I could update my rental at a payment center, I was told by the payment center I could not.  A friend of mine tells me he owns his own modem and Comcast even installed it for him.  I would like a definitive answer before I travel from store to store, or Best Buy to Best Buy, or wherever I may have to go to buy an approved modem, if I must rent from Comcast, or if I can purchase one. 

Thanks in advance

Barbara

Text from friend " I bought an Arris Touchstone Telephony modem and had it here when they were going to install me.  It doesn't have a wireless router in it, so if you buy one, you have to also buy a router for it, but those can be bought cheaply."

Accepted Solutions
Expert

Re: Telephony modem - rent v purchase

Select Best Buy's with Comcast Connection Centers were selling the Arris TM722G eMTA telephony modem the last couple of years.  This was the only place to get a eMTA that Comcast would provision on a subscribers account.  

Due to low traffic at these connection centers which were staffed by Comcast sales reps, many have closed.  Arris was maintaining a list of centers that sold eMTA's, but it is no longer 100% accurate.  The list of Comcast Connection Centers can be found here.  This was not a nationwide program.

Best Buy sells you the eMTA and handles the warranty, The Comcast agent then sets up the unit to your account, so it can be activated when you get it connected.  Some area's allow self install, some others do not, the local Comcast rep can tell you.

If you go this route, make sure you get a receipt for your old eMTA when you turn it into the local Comcast office, so there are no issues in case they do not remove the rental from your account.

All Replies
Expert

Select Best Buy's with Comcast Connection Centers were selling the Arris TM722G eMTA telephony modem the last couple of years.  This was the only place to get a eMTA that Comcast would provision on a subscribers account.  

Due to low traffic at these connection centers which were staffed by Comcast sales reps, many have closed.  Arris was maintaining a list of centers that sold eMTA's, but it is no longer 100% accurate.  The list of Comcast Connection Centers can be found here.  This was not a nationwide program.

Best Buy sells you the eMTA and handles the warranty, The Comcast agent then sets up the unit to your account, so it can be activated when you get it connected.  Some area's allow self install, some others do not, the local Comcast rep can tell you.

If you go this route, make sure you get a receipt for your old eMTA when you turn it into the local Comcast office, so there are no issues in case they do not remove the rental from your account.

New Poster

New Poster

Thank you... I will check it out

Regular Visitor

So, if I understand correctly, despite the fact that the TM822G is listed on Comcast's list of approved devices, there is no way to obtain it for use with triple-play?

Secondly, I was just at Best Buy and the Comcast rep told me that I would need to pay to have a Comcast tech come out and program any modem that I would buy. We currently are using two modems--one that I had previously purchased for Internet and the one we are leasing for phone. I'd like to buy a modem, consolidate to just that one modem, and sell the other one. Is there a reasonable path to achieving that?

Expert

The TM822's are not sold at retail, so Comcast will not provision one that someone picks up.

Yes, many area's need a tech visit to install any telephony modem.  If you wiring is in place properly, then you can go to one unit, and if you own the modem, do with it what you want.  The existing telephony modem would be returned to Comcast.

Regular Visitor

This is about as screwed up and confusing mess that I can imagine. I went to chat and the Comcast rep there told me that I could purchase a modem and referred me to the list of approved devices. I called the activation number and the rep there told me that I could go out and purchase a modem from the approved list and then call the 800 number to get it activated. In both cases, I made it clear that I had triple play.

Then I dropped by a Best Buy store to check on what modems were currently available and the Comcast rep told me that I could buy a 722, but that then I would have to get a tech to "program" it. What gives? Is this just a way to increase installation revenues, or is replacing two modems with one a really big, challenging deal?

Finally, does anybody at Comcast really know what the deal is, or is that the reason that a visit from a tech is needed--they are the only one skilled enough to navigate through the cloud of confusion within Comcast?

New Poster

First call to the 800 number at Comcast I was told to go to Best Buy to purchase an approved modem as my modem was "very outdated"(tired of paying $7.00 month)...rep gave me 2 models..one modem, one gateway....bought modem, brought home, wrong modem.

Second call to Comcast...still can purchase modem..just tell them you need a telephony modem. Back to Best Buy...they don't have them.

Third call to Comcast.....can upgrade modem (still pay $7.00 month), but cannot purchase modem...must bring to payment center to exchange.

Trip with modem to payment center....You cannot do that here. you must schedule an appointment to have tech come to your home and you must pay for a service call. 

Fourth call to Comcast...You cannot buy a modem..you have to lease..go to payment center (In utter frustration...I said "been there, done that"....ok then...Comcast will update yours and send a tech out...no charge (which we shall find out when we get our next bill)

Next step....AT&T I spose.....if I am not going to get any customer service, I might as well pay half the price

New Poster

I was successful in purchasing my own telephony modem, installing and having it activated by Comcast remotely.  I live in southern NH and the modem rental charge recently increased to $10/month.  I already have my own data modem in a seperate portion of the house.  The telephony modem is located in the basement where the servicecable entrance is.   The process was easy and took a total of about a total of 1.5 hours of my time including research, purchase, installation and activation.  Follow these steps and you should not have a problem.

1) Initiate a chat session with Comcast support (or call) 1-800-934-6489 and ask if they allow a customer to purchase and install their own modem.

2) Select a modem from the approved device list located at   http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/   The rep strongly suggested that I purchase a DOCSIS 3.0 device.

3) I selected and purchased an Arris TM822G telephony modem from Amazon (comes with a battery back-up).

4) I replaced the existing modem with the new one (power, signal cable and telephone line connections.

5) I waited until the unit powered up and sequenced and then called Comcased (from my cell phone) at 1-855-652-3446.

6) The very nice woman on the other end asked me for the C-MAC number which is located on the back of the modem.

7) She activated the modem remotely and had me confirm dial tone and ability to make and receive calls.  Total time was about 10 minutres.  She gave me a Tech Support number in case I had issues down the road (1-800-934-6489).  Not needed so far.

8) I will be returning my Comcast telephony modem to the service center today and obtain a receipt.  I will then verify the $10/month fee stops when the next bill is received.

Again, the process was very easy and painless.

New Poster

Excellent info, but what part of the USA are you in?  We were told that some Comcast areas do not support customer owned modems.  Thx.

New Poster

They said NH which I am assuming is New Hampshire Smiley Wink