Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

Switching from Verizon Landline to Comcast Voice

New Poster

Switching from Verizon Landline to Comcast Voice

I have an appointment to have a Comcast technician set up my voice service.  I am porting my Verizon landline telephone number over to Comcast.  Do I need to have my Verizon service disconnected BEFORE the Comcast technican arrives?

I have gotten different answers from Comcast support.  One of reps told me to disconnect Verizon before the Comcast technician arrives, another told me that the Virzon landline must be active when the Comcast tech does the installation. 

I have informed Comcast that the number is to be ported, but i have not yet contacted Verizon to cancel their landline service. 

New Poster

Re: Switching from Verizon Landline to Comcast Voi

I did the same switch today and didn't disconnect Verizon until after comcast voice was connected.  You should request to keep your current phone number though. 

Valued Contributor

I suggest NOT disconnecting from Verizion until after the swicth.

Once you disconnect the old service, the phone number is not guaranteed to be available to be switched.

New Poster

Do NOT Switch at all...... keep your landline - Comcast phone service has been horrible for us  and we have no other options -- keep your landline for as long as you can.  When you phone service starts breaking up Comcast will tell you that your "inside phone lines are bad - DO NOT BELIEVE THIS. They will tell you to connect directly with your modem and you need "panasonic" phones - THIS DOES NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM EITHER - THEY WILL COME OUT ADJUST YOUR BOX, PUT ON A FILTER, COME BACK ON THE NEXT SERVICE CALL TAKE OFF THE FILTER, IT IS A VISCIOUS CYCLE WITH THEM.

Yeah, i have to agree. Comcast Voice is terrible. They try to use these all purpose 'gateways' (modems) and they simply are too weak to provide consistent phone connections. I constantly have people tell me that my voice is breaking up or just as often, their voice disappears mid sentence.it's bad.

Wished i had not gotten greedy in trying to save a few bucks a month and just stuck with my Verizon landline. 

On the positive side, all the junk calls and solicitations manage to get through with out any interruption !  

Problem Solver

Just to give equal time here, I've had Comcast voice for about 3 years and have had absolutely no problem with it.  

I'm certainly not saying that the people complaining and having trouble with the service aren't telling you the truth.  I'm sure their experience with the service has been bad, especially if they're also having line level problems from Comcast.

It's just that many of us who were skeptical about  signing on as I was, have since enjoyed a trouble free experience

(and NO I don't work for them)

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation