Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Set up new phone jack

New Poster

Set up new phone jack

I currently have a separate phone line for my business through Verizon.  I have had nothing but problems with that line but I can't use cable to set up my voicemail services through my company.  I think I got my manager to approve me to remove that line and just use my home phone for outgoing calls.

Here is my question.  I have a jack in my home office that is currently set up for Verizon.  What would I need to do to convert that jack to my home Comcast phone?  How much would it cost, what is the procedure for setting that up?

Expert

Re: Set up new phone jack

The first thing you do is disconnect your inside phone wiring from the NID, the network interface normally on the side of the house.  That is where the Verizon network connects to your inside wiring. 

Now that your inside wiring is isolated from Verizon, you need to decide if there are any phone jacks in the house  that close to the Comcast eMTA telephony modem.  If there is, you take a phone cord and plug in the cord to the wall jack in that room and then to the L1/L2 jack on the eMTA.  That backfeeds the dial tone talk battery voltage to the inside wiring in the home.  If all the jacks in the home are wired together, then you should have dial tone at all the jacks that are active.

If you already had a phone connected directly to the eMTA, then you would add a phone splitter to feed both the inside wiring in the home and the phone in that room.

This can be simple if everything's wired together, if it isn't it can get complicated trying to find where the disconnect is.

If you have backfed your eMTA into the home's inside phone wiring and not all the jacks are working, then troubleshooting would be needed to find where the wires from the jacks terminate, and get them all wired together.

There are different ways to do this depending on the inside wiring arrangement in the home, and if the wiring is home run or daisy-chained.   You might learn more by doing a search for backfeeding VOIP telephone wiring at sites like THIS

New Poster

Re: Set up new phone jack

I need to set up the land line and following the instructions of phone jack to modem does not work. Please advise, is there a complete setup instruction set on line?