Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Security System Fails Pulse Dial call out.

Contributor

Security System Fails Pulse Dial call out.

I just had a new Triple Play installation completed this past week.  The eMTA is an Arris Model TG862.  My security system controller is an Ademco Model 4110XM.  The security system was connected to AT&T land line and was tested immediately prior to Comcast switch over.  The dial out was set for pulse dial (preferred by security system company for relaibility).  It would not work when connected to the TG862.  I changed the dial mode to DTMF and it works every time.  I don't have any old rotary dial phones to further test the Arris TG862.  The system works just fine for voice calling with DTMF signalling. The Comcast installation tech says that pulse dial will not work (obvious since it failed a test after installation).  I talked to the security company technician and he says that he has never had a problem with any other installation in our area and they are all set to pulse dial.

Having spent a few years developing communications and telephoney equipment I find it strange that pulse dial is not handled by the Arris unit.  Has anyone else run into this issue?  Is it possible that the Arris TG862 is defective and needs to be replaced?  

Thanks, Al

New Poster

Re: Security System Fails Pulse Dial call out.

Your security company and/or Comcast should have informed you that Comcast will no longer support pulse dialing - only tone. They are in the process of changing nationwide. Noting wrong with your modem but your alarm panel requires reprogramming for tone dialing.
Contributor

Re: Security System Fails Pulse Dial call out.

I did re-program the security system and it works fine with tone dial.  A strange fact is that if I set my home phone to pulse dial it will work.  Perhaps it has something to do with the pulse rate.  I don't find any parameter in my security system controller to change that.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation