Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

SMDC3GNV - reset password - cannot get in

Frequent Visitor

SMDC3GNV - reset password - cannot get in

I just received my eMTA and in order to secure it I went to and logged in using the admin/password combination and renamed my SSID as well as changed the password.  I am positive of what I typed in as the password but I cannot log back into the system now.  I get invalid login message.  It is broadcasting the new SSID, but I cannot connect to it nor log back into the modem directly connected any longer.

Any suggestions?  I need to get this fixed.

Tags (2)
Silver Problem Solver

Re: SMDC3GNV - reset password - cannot get in

Sounds like you need to reset the modem back to factory defaults, like here:

Frequent Visitor

Thanks.  I had already done the hold the Reset button in for more than 15 seconds and I still cannot get in using admin / password.  Flushed cache in browser, used a different browser, still receive the invalid login message.

Any other thoughts?

Silver Problem Solver

Well if you are connected direct to the computer by ethernet, have pressed the reset button on the back with a toothpick, paperclip ect; over 15 secs, rebooted the computer The only other thing I can think of is while :admin" is not case sensitve, "password" is.

Otherwise if the phone is still working, try calling this number, 1-800-363-2416

Edit...> Perhaps I shoud have mentioned this earlier. Most people with that gateway, (myself included) are putting the router into bridge mode, because the wireless range is not very good and using their own router.

If you did want to put it in bridge mode, again call the above number or send a private message to Comcast Larry the admin on here and they should be able to take care of it for you.

Frequent Visitor

Problem fixed.  I followed your advice but slower this time.  I think that the first time I bounced the reset press.  In other words, I hit if for a couple of seconds, slipped and repressed.  I think it was too late for the factory reset to work. 

Regardless, using a steady hand this time, I held it in for 20 secs without bouncing it and all is good.

Thanks for your help.

You raise an interesting point, I do have my own wireless, Cisco E4200, do you see any problems with just leaving the SMDC3GNV running as is without bridging?  The E4200 has a much stonger signal.

Silver Problem Solver

Up to you Russ, you may want to leave it, but like I say most people are finding it better to put it in bridge mode and using their own router. You would have to call in or pm Comcast Larry to get that done 'cos Comcast firmware doesn't allow you to do it for some reason.

Anyway, we got there ...Smiley Wink

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation