Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Purchased EMTA

Frequent Visitor

Purchased EMTA

Instead of paying a rental fee, if I purchase a EMTA from Ebay, how will i know if Comcast will activate it?

Suppose it is a stolen unit from Comcast. I just do not see them activating the same unit twice in different markets or the unit be on a stolen list somewhere.

Connection Expert

Re: Purchased EMTA

The first thing you should do is to call in to or go to your local CC service center (the better choice) and inquire / confirm as to whether or not customer owned eMTA's (modems with phone support) are allowed to be used on the local system. Some local franchises still do not allow it and require you to rent one from CC.

If allowed, here is a very good current tech eMTA;

http://www.amazon.com/Arris-TM822G-Touchstone%C2%AE-Ultra-High-Telephony/dp/B00721TUNS

I would stay away from buying used ones on E-bay or anywhere for the very reason you state !

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Purchased EMTA

yeah man you may save some money buying used but it may be stolen and if so comcast won't activate it. definitely buy new and from reputable sources. you may pay a bit more initially by buying new, but you'll be breaking even in a few months anyway what without having to pay the leasing fee. 

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation