Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Phones 'hang up' as soon as a call is answered

New Poster

Phones 'hang up' as soon as a call is answered

Recently started having intermittant problems with calls occasionally going to my Comcast voicemail (normally I have it bypassed and use an answering machine at home). Suddenly this week, the problem worsened to where most of the time as soon as we try to pick up a phone call, the line is immediately disconnected from the caller. We have not successfully received a phone call that we picked-up for four days, though occasionally we find a message left on our answering machine that came in when while we were away. I have tried rebooting the modem and disconnecting everything that we have hanging on the phone line one at a time, with the thought that some device, like the fax, might be messing with the line. Items on the line are two (2) wireless phone systems, a caller ID box, a fax machine and a wired phone. We updated our modem months ago and have not had an issue until now. Another piece of trivia is that once it fail-safes to the Comcast voice mail box, callers will only get a 'this line is not available' message. I have looked at other posts that had issues with the ringer, but all of our phones, wired and wireless ring, we just cannot answer. Thoughts?

Frequent Visitor

Re: Phones 'hang up' as soon as a call is answered

I am having the exact same problem. Been going on since yesterday. Very annoying, thought it was my cell phone because I was trying to call home yesterday and it kept disconnecting me.  Hopefully it will be straightened out soon. Are you able to make calls outbound? I am, but that does not help much. Calling them today.

New Poster

The same thing is happening to me since 3/14.  I contacted customer service on 3/16 and they said it would take 24 hours to fix the problem.  It still isn't fixed 3 days later.

Frequent Visitor

Do you have T-Mobile as your cell service?  I do and I am having the exact same problem.  I can call from any other carrier, but if someone who has t-mobile calls, it hangs up as soon as I answer.  I will be getting with t-mobile on this as I had comcast REPLACE my modem yesterday and it is still an issue.

Let me know if anyone else out there is having the same issue.

Frequent Visitor

I do have Tmobile, so maybe it is their problem. Tried calling home with both of cell phones and gets cut off. Did get call this morning from non cell pone and it worked. I will contact Tmobile.

Let me know if they fix the problem with you. thanks

Frequent Visitor

Yeah, I'm thinking it's a T-Mobile issue too.  I used my work issued i-phone from AT&T and my call went through.  I will tell my t-mobile tech about this forum... LOL... let them know it's not just me!

Frequent Visitor

Also, I forgot...I am able to make outbound calls from home phone so Do not think it is the modem which was replaced couple months ago.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks, I'm checking with another friend that has Tmobile to see if they have same problem too. Annoying..will definitely call Tmobile today!

Frequent Visitor

TMobile is putting a ticket in to work with Comcast and try and get this resolved.  They are supposed to follow up with me on Sunday, March 22.  I have another friend who has comcast phones, but I could call her... strange.  I told the tech that it wasn't just me, that there were others on this forum board that were having the same issues.

I'll keep y'all posted!

New Poster

I have AT&T as my mobile carrier and Comcast for my land line. 

Frequent Visitor

Myra, are you able to call your house with your cell phone?

Problem Solver

I am in the Chicagoland area and have Comcast home phone service and T-Mobile Cell service and I have no problems calling from one to the other.

Frequent Visitor

Once again Comcast has "upgraded" phone sevice. Since then phone rings twice and when answered there is only dial tone. When accessing voice preferences it only opens occasionally, can't forward calls. Displays randomly different screens when access is possible. Ticket was placed but no change, no caal back with update as promised. Clearly Comcast is incapable of supplying reliable phone service so I can add this non-functioning offerings to the list that cable tv has inhabited for years. Have a new slogan for Xfinity: "Charge more - deliver less."

Frequent Visitor

Called Tmobile and they could not help me. Told me to check with comcast (not looking forward to that call) and if that does nit work, call them back.

Frequent Visitor

Cindy... hmmmm... strange - Tmobile put in a ticket for me, but it's more of an "enterprise" ticket than an individual ticket.  They indicated they were going to get with Comcast to see if they could see what was going on.

If the Comcast tech hadn't JUST been to my house last night and CHANGED my modem out, I too would be pointing the finger at comcast... but I'm really not sure WHO is at fault... I just know that my son also has t-mobile and it frustrates me that he can't reach me at the house.  I don't always have my cell phone right next to me and i sometimes don't hear it.

Again, if anyone else has had this problem, chime in... LOL Smiley Happy

Frequent Visitor

I guess it depends on who you talk to at Tmobile. I had a friend of mine with verizon cell call me and it came through no problem. I asked a friend of mine with tmobile to call me later with her cell and see if it works.

Maybe it Comcast and maybe it is Tmobile but I know for sure it is Frustrating!! Let you know if I find anything else out and please do same. Thanks!!Cat Frustrated

Frequent Visitor

on a whim i tried to call my home phone with my tmobile phone this morning... guess what... it WORKED!  Maybe they have the issues resolved??  Tmobile hasn't called me back like they said they would if they got it working earlier than Sunday... but... maybe it's too early (only 5:45 a.m. here)

We shall see... Try your phones again... see if they are working now...

Frequent Visitor

Its a miracle!! It is working again. thanks so much for update. Lets hope what ever problem was is fixed for good! Have a Great Day!!

New Poster

No, I can't call my house phone from my ATT cell
New Poster

I'm not even getting telemarketer calls!  I get Nothing!

Frequent Visitor

Myra... strange... Maybe it's Comcast having a problem with various cell providers?  Definitely sounds like you need to call comcast again... (I know - something you just can't WAIT to do! LOL)... Hopefully, you will get someone here in the states... if not, hang up and try again.  Since it's during regular business hours you SHOULD get someone stateside... but you never know.  If all else fails, have them change out your modem... insist upon it.  The tech who came to my house told me it wasn't my modem when i couldn't connect to the internet, but could to wifi... i insisted and he changed the modem and it fixed my internet problem (the phone problem was still an issue at that time which is why i contacted t-mobile)

I hope that you get your issue resolved - and a credit for the time it's been out...

Frequent Visitor

Cindy... I'm glad yours is working again too!

New Poster

ARRRGGGG - I cannot get or make a phone call from my home phone. What is the issue!!!

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 7 in conversation