Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

Phone randomly calling person in my area

New Poster

Phone randomly calling person in my area

A person in my area has been receiving calls from my number--my name and number show on her caller ID--but when she answers, there is either nobody there or there is a telemarketer. I am not making these calls, and do not know who is. The person's phone number is one digit away from mine. This is happening several times a week.

I have contacted Comcast twice, with varying answers. First, I was told that they had other reports of this happening in my area and they were looking into it. Next, I was told that my pnone number had most likely been taken by an out of area--most likely out of the country--telemarketing company, and that usually these people take over numbers that have been disconnected, but in my case they somehow got mine. The comcast rep told me that the only way to stop the problem is to change my number.

We have had the same phone number for over 25 years, and have never had any problems. Is there anything we can do other than change our number?

New Poster

Re: Phone randomly calling person in my area

I had the same problem;  I even got a call at home showing my own id and phone number was calling ME!  Comcast security said it is called phone id spoofing and advised to tell the person being called to contact their phone company who should tell them how to trace the caller's real number. Three traces and they can file a police report....for whatever good that does.  Other than that not much can be done but if enough calls go unanswered it seems to eventually go away.  Good luck!

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation