Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Phone help

Regular Visitor

Phone help

We have digital phone service, it is with a package deal. My husbands new job requires that he download his work information by dial up. He has a handheld computer. It communicates his work for the day and orders. Do you know of anyway to get this to work ?? I don't want to go back to a dial up phone but I might have to because of his job. Any suggestions? I also have a 2 year contact with this package deal. Can I go back to regular phone service with comcast or is it just digital.
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Phone help

Comcast doesn't provide "regular" phone service.  It's all digital Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP).

Has your husband asked them about this where he works?  Just a wild stab, but assuming he used to do the dial up downloads by plugging the handheld computer into a phone jack, have you tried that using a phone jack that works with your Comcast phone service?  It probably won't work since the system your husband's employer uses to communicate to the handheld probably expects to communicate directly with a standard dial-up modem.  Which your Comcast phone service doesn't incorporate--and which probably messes up the attempt to establish the "dial-up" connection and accept the data stream. 
Regular Visitor

Thank you is it possible to have  a seperate phone line with a regular phone company brought into the house or will the digital mess it up? Seperate phone number also like a data line
Expert

They'll be completely separate sets of wires, they don't interfere with each other at all.

Have you tried plugging his handheld computer into one of the Comcast jacks to see if it works?
Most Valued Poster

Your handheld computer must have a built in modem or a modem attachment for this to work. You then connect the modem to the VOIP device with a phone line and it should dial into the work computer. If the handheld has a fax capability, it will have a modem. You may want to discuss the situation with your network administrator and see if the data can be downloaded via FTP or VPN. Most of the Palms and Windows based handhelds have VPN software and web browsers built in.
Regular Visitor

Thank you all. I had to unplug line one which is the telephone line and plug the modem up to that line and the handheld took off. It downloaded and was perfect. I just can not use the phone or be on the computer at the time of download. Thank all of you for your help.
Expert

You should be able to use the computer to access the Internet while using the handheld.
New Poster

Use a phone line spliter for both the phone and the handheld, or you can get a basic line from comcast as a second line to use with the modem and the handheld.