Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Phone Jacks

Frequent Visitor

Phone Jacks

Hi I just had comcast digital voice and internet and cable installed,the only phone jack here at home is on the kitchen wall,now the man connected my phone to the modem,why is it that i'am not getting a dial tone at all from the wall jack when i plug in a phone.Thank you
Most Valued Poster

Re: Phone Jacks



meranda wrote:
Hi I just had comcast digital voice and internet and cable installed,the only phone jack here at home is on the kitchen wall,now the man connected my phone to the modem,why is it that i'am not getting a dial tone at all from the wall jack when i plug in a phone.Thank you


Call Comcast and tell them, sounds like something did not get all checked out.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Most Valued Poster

Re: Phone Jacks



Naddie1 wrote:


meranda wrote:
Hi I just had comcast digital voice and internet and cable installed,the only phone jack here at home is on the kitchen wall,now the man connected my phone to the modem,why is it that i'am not getting a dial tone at all from the wall jack when i plug in a phone.Thank you


Call Comcast and tell them, sounds like something did not get all checked out.


Sounds like the answer is in red above. The OP stated there is only one phone jack in the home. They would have to install another jack near the modem to feed the signal through if they want service at the jack in the kitchen. Alternatively, the installer could run a line from the modem, back outside to the main phone box.
Firefox 3
Most Valued Poster

Re: Phone Jacks



BluegrassMan wrote:


Naddie1 wrote:


meranda wrote:
Hi I just had comcast digital voice and internet and cable installed,the only phone jack here at home is on the kitchen wall,now the man connected my phone to the modem,why is it that i'am not getting a dial tone at all from the wall jack when i plug in a phone.Thank you


Call Comcast and tell them, sounds like something did not get all checked out.


Sounds like the answer is in red above. The OP stated there is only one phone jack in the home. They would have to install another jack near the modem to feed the signal through if they want service at the jack in the kitchen. Alternatively, the installer could run a line from the modem, back outside to the main phone box.


Nope, one or twenty makes no difference. His/her phone should work, Tech messed up.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Most Valued Poster

Re: Phone Jacks

"Nope, one or twenty makes no difference. His/her phone should work, Tech messed up."

Obviously. But my main point is this: From the OP's post, I take it that the ONLY phone jack in the home is the one in the kitchen, and this is apparently NOT where the modem is. Therefore, the tech will have to either add ANOTHER phone jack near the modem, or run a line out to the main phone box.


Firefox 3
Expert

Re: Phone Jacks

What I think is actually going on is that the Comcast installer didn't connect the existing phone wiring in the home to the modem. He just connected a phone directly to the jack on the modem, which means that no extension phones can be used with it.
Most Valued Poster

Re: Phone Jacks



Barmar wrote:
What I think is actually going on is that the Comcast installer didn't connect the existing phone wiring in the home to the modem. He just connected a phone directly to the jack on the modem, which means that no extension phones can be used with it.

I wish that I could recall exactly how our tech explained it to me. BUT I do NOT have a phone jack connected to my Arris modem. He had to go out side and do some thing there, When he was done, all of our phones worked. And I do have a phone jack back here, but the tech did not go through that. The OP needs to call Comcast and get a tech out there.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Regular Contributor

Re: Phone Jacks

Hi everybody,

As is often the case, everybody's right Smiley Happy

If there is just one telephone jack near where the modem will go, or if you request it (like I did), or if you live in an apartment building with crazy wiring, then the installation tech will just set things up with the phone plugged directly into the back of the modem. This eliminates whatever wiring may be inside the home, which can often be the cause of a lot of service problems.

For people who have more than one jack in the home, we will connect the modem to the wiring inside the house so you can use all of your jacks. Incidentally, our technicians can also install new jacks to your home as well for an extra charge. Just make you you specify that you would like this done when you are making the arrangements for your installation.

Meranda, you didn't say where the modem was; is it in the kitchen near your existing jack? If so, you may want to keep the phone right where it is and just not use that jack at all. On the other hand, if the modem's in an inconvenient location, or if you would like to have a second telephone in the kitchen, then I would follow Naddie1's advice and contact us and we will make the arrangements to have a tech make the change.

Geoff.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Phone Jacks

Thank You All,Comast has a tech coming out here today,so he can do what he has to so I can use my phone in the kitchen.
Most Valued Poster

Re: Phone Jacks



meranda wrote:
Thank You All,Comast has a tech coming out here today,so he can do what he has to so I can use my phone in the kitchen.


Good, have him be sure to test it all out this time. That should have been done at install.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
New Poster

Re: Phone Jacks

Funny having the same problem no phone jacks in my home work, got 3 in one service in Oct, 2006 been fighting this for 2 months! I'm sick of rearranging my shcedule to wait for them to come to my home to say its fixed when its not or to tell me my phone jacks are bad (ummm didn't have this problem when I was with sprint/embarq, started when I canceled them for comcast.)   Not to mention the tech tells me they don't install jacks, I go put new jacks in the same problem.... Back to my point not the jacks luckly I was able to return them. I have had 3 techs out this month alone and still not able to use my home phone jacks. Not to mention the on going problem with droping calls, not recieving calls, or unable to call out at times through my modem, or it tells those calling me I'm disconnected ( Yep called it from my cell and told me my # was disconnected). Oh can't forget to mention the Charlie Brown teacher voice I get when talking on the phone all the time or the static.... Not impressed at all when first connected to comcast they came 3 hours past the schedule time did not install everything I asked for, plus left putside cable box open... I am still compalining on that too they still have not put that back on, Last week tech come out to fix phone lines on Friday drilled hole in wall to run New Phone line, never calked around it left the outlet hanging off my wall.. Pretty bad when a cell phone is better than a home phone.. oh also can't get calls off pc only shows calls from weeks ago cannot retreive voicemails tells me none. Keep getting Error DVC-281,-251-252-282, Connection get slow at times seems the only thing I have going is the cable, and personally its not worth it to me to keep losing out on work and everything else! They come tomorrow if not fixed it will be gone why pay for things I can't use and to deal with horriable customer service, and the way they leave things unfinished.
Regular Contributor

Re: Phone Jacks

Hi diamond517,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having these problems with your service and we'd like to get them resolved as soon as possible. I contacted the dispatch office in your area and made them aware of the ongoing nature of your problems yesterday. Please feel free to send me a private message here on the forums or email me and I will be happy to assist in any way that I can.

Please also let me know if you are having any further problems with accessing the Digital Voice Center or using any of its features.

Thanks very much for your post.

Geoff.

New Poster

Re: Mozilla Firefox and CDVC

I have been fighting a similar problem DVC-108 Authentication Failed since my service was installed May 13.  I have had 3 phone calls and 3 on-line chats trying to get this problem resolved.  The latest was today with most un satisfactory COMCAST Representative, SCChris who now tells me it will be 72 more hours after being promised on the five previous calls that it would be up and running in various times from 24 hours to 5 days.  This is just the latest blowoff I've gotten from them.  The surprise is they all seem like they think they fixed the problem!  There seems to be no tracking these problems by COMCAST to ensure resolution.  You'd think there might be some attempt along those lines anyway.  SCChris even refused to esculate my problem when I asked.  He said "No one could do it any faster than him!"  That sure made me feel warm and fuzzy!  So anyway good luck on getting your problem fixed.  Perhaps you'll find a shortcut.
Expert

Re: Mozilla Firefox and CDVC

Larry, this thread is about a problem that only occurs with Firefox, not with IE. Is that what you're experiencing?

If not, your other posts are more than sufficient. Posting the same complaint 3 times is considered spamming and against forum rules.
Frequent Visitor

Re: Phone Jacks

What if you have cordless phones ? I would think you can connect to eMTA only.
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Phone Jacks

Two year old thread, Please start a new one and post details about your problem..
TANSTAAFL!!