Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Periodic loss of dial tone and outbound calls

Frequent Visitor

Periodic loss of dial tone and outbound calls

I have Comcast triple pack and I have periodic problems with outbound calls.  I have three phones - one I do not use at all. 

When I pick up living room phone I usually get a dialtone - then I dial the number and I hear what appears to be one outbound ring and the call drops.

Sometimes I am on an outbound call and the line goes dead.  When I try dialing again, I sometimes get a dialtone but after dialing the same number, the call drops after a half ring.

If I go into the other room and get the other phone, sometimes I can make another call - sometimes I cannot.  This happens during the day, when I am on the computer and also watching television.

It seems like I signed up for Triple Pack but it only wants me to use two at a times.  I jest but that is how I feel. 

I think at times that when I am recording something and on the computer at the same time - that is when I run into phone problems with outbound calls. I am not absolutely sure about that.

My batteries for my wireless land phones are new so that is not the issue.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Periodic loss of dial tone and outbound calls

how often is this happening?

Frequent Visitor

Hi Michael;

Every day during the week and sporatically on weekend days.  When I have the tv on and I am checking my email on my laptop (via wireless router), I end up during mid morning thru late afternoon, either of two cases:

Initial outbound call goes okay, but if I make a second call, I will get dialtone, then the call is ringing and the call drops, or when I hit redial to call again, I sometimes lose dialtone.

I didnt mention this in initial writup but I previously had problems with laptop and television - when television was on and I was on laptop with Skype or IM, I would have laptop connection problems.

two servicemen, about a month apart finally identified problem in master bedroom in line and he ended up disconnecting one of the lines in the splitter.  He said there was too much noise on the line (he checked with a meter) and after he made an adjustment, everything was fine for weeks.

Now, the PC is okay, the tv is still okay, but problem is more frequent with wireless land line phones.

The first time the problem happens in mid morning, then I put that phone in cradle and get other phone from bedroom.  That phone then works once but then it also either drops dialtone or sometimes even drops call while I am talking to someone.

Sounds stupid, but it acts like I am paying for triple pack but Comcast is only allowing a double pack at a time.  I know that is not the case - just trying to make light out of a bad situation.

Also, when that happens (drop call, drop line, or dropping outbound dialing of call) I can dial my home phone from my cell phone and it does ring.

My gut tells me that too much is going on at a time (by that, I mean) television is on and I might be recording something or watching a previously recorded show) and I am surfing the net, and I want to call a friend to tell him about something that is on television and then problems start happening with my phone of triple pack.

I might be wrong, but it seems like the phone problem happens moreso when I am recording or watching a recording on television while laptop is up with a few windows running.

I am a ex-mainframe programmer and currently a parttime web developer and I know NOTHING about modems, routers, and the like, but it seems like either two much data is coming in/out through the modem and the phone line is the one Comcast chooses to kill in an effort to slow things down.  IMHO.

Like before, 7 or 8 out of 10 times, the problem happens during the week versus on the weekend.

Frequent Visitor

The modem and the tv operate on separate frequencies should it wouldn't be related. Sounds like it could be intermittent noise on the upstream channel. Send us your account info at we_can_help@comcast.com and we'll look into this.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation