Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Outgoing voice drops out; incoming voice OK

Regular Visitor

Outgoing voice drops out; incoming voice OK

I have Comcast phone/internet/TV service.  I have an intermittent problem with the phone:

Sometimes, after establishing a  conversation, the outgoing voice drops out while the incoming voice continues.  I hear the person I am talking to saying "I can't hear you".  If they don't hang up, the outgoing voice may return in 30 seconds or so and we can continue.  However, usually,the other party hangs up and we have  to call again.

Where the cable enters the house, it goes to a 3 way splitter: one output goes to the TV, one goes to the internet modem, and one goes to the phone modem.  The phone modem was replaced within the last month and all the cabling up to the modem has been replaced.

Technicians have come several times and changed cables, splitters, and the phone modem; none of this has helped.  The last technician left his card with a phone number but he doesn't answer and does not call when  I leave messages.  I made one more call to Comcast; they promised a higher level technician would call; they never did.

I see from the posts on this site that others have this problem.  Apparently, it is not related to the equipment at my  house but with the Comcast system.  Does anyone have a solution?

=====================

November 2014  -  I believe that this problem has been resolved.  A very dedicated Comcast line chief took interest and worked on the problem over several months.  Apparently, some of the equipment on the poles had degraded due to age and weather.  He described the problem as "egress" (or maybe "ingress").  It had nothing to do with wiring or equipment in my house.

Tags (1)
New Poster

Re: Outgoing voice drops out; incoming voice OK

I don't have a solution, but maybe some additional info. I had the same problem several years, and could not get Comcast to fix it. What I found was that while download speed was always great, upload speed varied from OK down to 0. There is a speed test somewhere on the Comcast web pages, or use http://www.speedtest.net/. With this, you can test for this and document it, and maybe that will help get Comcast to do something.

I ended up switching to DSL, and just came back to Comcast recently, after having similar problems with AT&T. The rep told me they had problems in my area in the past that were straigtened out. Maybe that was a crock, but so far (a couple of months) it's been excellent. Maybe telling them you're about to switch will help. Good luck.

Regular Visitor

To kenkrupa,

Thanks for the note.  The cable carries signals for phone, internet, and TV.  Your comments relate to internet problems and my issue is a phone problem.  My internet works OK (although I might not notice a short drop out).  I don't think the phone uses the internet.  If I am wrong, please let me know.

New Poster

This is happening to me as well.  I have had everything checked and upgraded but my voice still disappears in the middle of some calls.  Very frustrating. 

Tags (1)
Regular Visitor

I'm having the exact same problem with our phone.  Hardware is fine, I think it is something to do with Comcast VOIP system.  I'm not going to call for tech.s as in the past with problems with internet dropping out was handled poorly.  I added the internet phone option to save money but very frustrating when on a call and keep hearing people on the end saying "hello, are you there?"  Probably will go back to a Landline even though more expensive.  Can't image calling 911 and they can't hear me.  My wife said before we switched should'nt have and she is right.

Regular Visitor

We have had nothing but the voice dropped out calls as described here.  There is nothing wrong with the equipment so will not call out techs as we have  before for other issues.  Going back to the land line.  Hate to think I had a serious medical issue and on the phone and it drops out.  Not worth the savings we thought we were getting.  My wife was hesitate to switch over and she was right.  Anybody reading this should not use Comcast phone service.  Internet and video is OK, although not perfect. 

Regular Contributor

One thing I would try is plugging a working phone into the back of the modem and seeing if the problem occurs then.  If you do not have the problem on that phone, your problem might be in your inside phone wiring.  If you have already tried this, then the problem could be with the cabling or equipment ourside your home.  You can email we_can_help@cable.comcast.com because they might be able to help you get this problem fixed.  If this problem only happens with one caller, then the problem might be with the other person's telephone service.

New Poster

I resolved on live Chat w/ agent. After jumping thru too many hoops, they finally told me the modem was not synced with their system. About 30 seconds later they had it fixed.
Regular Visitor

Im now experiencing this same problem and wonder if anyone has gotten this fixed...aside from the gentleman who got "synched up" properly. VoIP was working  fine then suddenly transmit voice started dropping. Several phones, wired and wireless, several t-shooting sessions, resets. Techs came out checked signal quality ....fine. Swapped out modem. Problem persists. Just went thru 1.5hr session (a rerun of last one) only to determine someone needs to come out. I find it interesting that one gentlemen in this string had his outside wiring replaced to no avail  as I'm of the mind that has to be my issue. Looking for answers??  Comcast really needs to establish an escalation policy and process.  They could save themselves money and maintain customers if they did. Any ideas are welcome!

Regular Visitor

Having exactly the same problem going on close to two weeks. They say they know about it and are "working on it.". Monday they said it will be fixed by 5:30 PM (wasn't). Today it will be fixed by 4:30 and I would get a call....never happened. Tried to explain serious medical problem to docto yesterday and he could only hear about half of my end. His voice came thru just fine. How incompetent can these people be????

Jim

New Poster

Just discovered this problem yesterday when a friend tried calling and I tried calling him back..I could hear his end but he could not hear me incoming or outgoing...I originally thought his phone volumne was muted or something..

I called him on my cell tonight and everything fine there,so I know it's not his Comcast phone,must be mine.Tried aclling a number outside Comcast and they could not hear me..

THREE calls to Comcast on my cell tonight beginning at 7:30 pm.After the maze of what you have to do and NO ONE answering.3rd try get an agent in Columbia then schedules an appt for Tuesday this week,nothing she can do....

I hang up,unplug the modem and try the phone again and it works now,my voice is going through..

Now wondering whether or not to cancel the appt..or have the tech report back that a simple modem reset  would have saved trouble...Comcast -and w-t-f is with hiring outside the USA???

Regular Visitor

I'm writing to a) say I'm glad that I'm not the only one who shares the Comcast Support Experience (CSE!) . Funny because after wading thru their processes to finally speak to someone, they are nicer than all get out. I guess they get sworn at a lot!  Of course, like a Seinfeld episode, they can take the support issue, they just cant do anything about it.

So the legacy of the voice that cant be heard continues!  I was hopeful that coming back to the forum I would find that someone had this issue fixed. Issue being voice reception is fine but my voice drops for 7-10 seconds intermittently. Like others on this forum, I relogged the call after swapping out the modem didnt cure the problem. Despite being assured that they would send someone to look at the physical plant, that never happened nor did I receive credit for the days I've effectively been unable to use the phone as this issue is extremely frustrating.  One other note....like others between my last posting and today (3/5) I had a period of about a week where the problem didnt occur. So I figured they found a back end solution.  Today, the problem has cropped up once again.  Instead of calling Comcast, since they wont do anything, I'm calling Vonage. I had them before with zero problems and prompt support , dropped them solely for the "cost savings" of Comcast's Triple-Play package. Big mistake !!!  Now they're buying TWC....good luck in the future trying to get support......and we broke up the BELL Companies because why???

Regular Visitor

Agree with you 100%. Problem with dropping out lasted over a month, went away for a week or so, but came back yesterday. Wife on cell phone to Comcast right now. Tech cam out and swapped out the modem, made no difference. He never looked at the splitter or other wiring. It's an "area wide" problem ( I am in Chicago area ) so they say.

Wonder if and when we will be credited.

Regular Visitor

I really hope Comcast subscribers monitor this forum...obviously Comcast doesnt.  So...the hits just keep on coming. To recap, phone "transmit" drops intermittently during every conversation. I can hear you fine...but my voice drops. This has gone on for a month. Technicians came and swapped out modem which we all knew wouldnt fix problem. Subsequent calls have been logged but no one has contacted me.

Now to the good part....I received my bill for the month and since my service is broken and required me to have technicians come out, they added $61.00 to my bill. No wonder so many people are complaining of service disruptions. This is a business unit for Comcast which must be raking in billions at $60/call out!

Meanwhile, I was fortunate to run into a Comcast lineman who actually gave me a plausible reason for the problem being encountered. Noise on the line being injected. Thus why others in my area (West Burbs of Chicago) are also seeing this issue. One note, as it warms up, the problems subsides.  This was verified over the weekend. It got cold...problem surfaced. Today its around 50 and no problem encountered yet this morning.

Now job 1 is figuring out how to get from under Comcast's thumb!! You think they are arrogant now...wait till the Time Warner acquisition completes.

Regular Visitor

Second repairman came out and checked the wiring and changed the splitter since the TV (especially channel 189 (CBS)) was "tiling" periodically. He made a minor change to wire inside but did not replace the wall outlet and just left a hole there.....nice job!

I avoid the $60 charge by paying $3.95/month for inside wiring protection. Just a thought.

My telephone still drops calls (I hear them, they don't hear me and it is sporadic). Using cell phone almost exclusively.

We are supposed to get credit for this outage .....

You said it affected the western suburbs ( I am in Wheaton) but specifically what do you think it is? My daughter has comcast in Elmhurst and has never had this problem and it is every bit as cold there as here.

New Poster

I have the same issue.  I have had approximately 10 service calls.  Each time I was told the issue was corrected but in time, sometimes a week other times more than a month the problem returns.  This has been the longest time  my phone is working, about a year.   

The past week the problem has returned.

I too do not use any wiring in my house.  I have tried a chorded phone plugged directly into my modem and at some point my modem was replaced.

This is extremely frustrating.  When I call Comcast most of the time I am told they are experiencing longer than usual wait time.  

I finally  was able to set up a service call.   Based on my past experience  it will probably be the first of several.

New Poster

I'm offering this again (my reply was the first above):

I had the same problem several years, and could not get Comcast to fix it. What I found was that while download speed was always great, upload speed varied from OK down to 0. There is a speed test somewhere on the Comcast web pages, or use http://www.speedtest.net/.

Someone (the original poster) said no, the problem was with the phone, not the internet. BUT, Comcast phone is VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol). So if your upload speed is poor, you will hear them but they won't hear you. Do this test and see if that's the problem, or at least rule it out.

New Poster

Thank you so much. My download speed was93.82 and Upload is 12.22.

How can this be improved?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 10 in conversation