Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Nomorobo set-up Comcast support (lack-of)

Frequent Visitor

Nomorobo set-up Comcast support (lack-of)

I had significant difficulty trying to set up the new (and very cool-sounding) FTC-sponsored "nomorobo", phone-solicitation-blocking service on my home modem-based landline today.  I found the nomorobo set up instructions and webpage very consumer-friendly, but after indicating my number would work and after redirecting me to what seemed to be a carrier-specific set of instructions on how to tweak my voice settings on my Comcast/xfinity account page, I ran into a brick wall.

I had two browsers open, one was the nomorobo Comcast-specific instructions that included screen shots of my settings page, the second was my actual settings page which I had logged into.  The Comcast instructions (that said at top of page: "updated April [something] 2015) asked me to change a setting that did not appear on my voice preference settings page and the instructions made no sense.

A chat window appeared asking if I wanted help.  I have had terrible experience with Comcast support in the past but I reluctantly clicked "yes" and a chat rep. asked what the trouble was.  I explained, said my problem probably would be difficult to resolve via chat and asked whether a rep. could phone me at my Comcast landline number (or any number).  The chat rep. said she could not do this, as they are not able to arrange phone call support (my wife indicated afterwards "THEYR'E A PHONE COMPANY!!!" I said I would try to work with the rep. and gave a detailed explanation of the problem.

The chat rep. asked me if I had activated Voice2go on my smartphone.  I told her I did not have a smartphone associated with a Comcast account, that I was attempting to set nomorobo up for my landline.  She repeated the request several times without any seeming regard for my statement that I had no smartphone on which to load the app.  She then explained the only way nomorobo would work was if I installed Voice2go (strangely absent from Comcast instruction page).  Knowing the reputation of Comcast support along with my own experience, I simply closed out of the chat window.

I then called Comcast customer support.  After 3 failed calls - par for the course - one of which directed me to an inescapable menu that stated my modem would be reset (while I was logged onto multiple websites), I finally reached a live person, who I (perhaps erroneously) immediately sensed would not be terribly helpful simply based on her greeting, delivery and syntax.

I explained my problem.  She claimed she had never before heard of nomorobo, said they do not support other company's products.  I explained nomorobo was an FTC-sponsored service that Comcast was now affiliated with and would she please assist me.  She put me on hold to speak to supervisor.  She came back on, said she now had info on nomorobo, and asked how could she help.

I explained situation again.  Asked if she could log onto my account or otherwise look at the settings/preference page I was viewing so she could better understand the problem I was facing.  She excused herself again, spoke to someone offline, came back and told me she could not access my account because she was restricted from doing so.  I asked if she could pull up Comcast instructions regarding nomorobo setup (not my account), she again repeated she was restricted from accessing this information (without seemingly pausing to make the attempt).  I asked if at least she was familiar enough with the page to provide me with guidance and she said no.

I asked how I could resolve the matter and she told me to initiate a support chat session.  I explained I had done so previously and the result.  She then told me she had given me the answer I was looking for.  I asked to speak to a supervisor and she told me "they'll just say the same thing".  I politely asked once again and she said she would connect me.  After listening to music for 15 minutes, I hung up.

Luckily, I went back to the Comcast page, logged out of my Comcast account, logged back in and the page content had CHANGED to match the content outlined on the Comcast instruction page.  I was then able to quickly finish setting up nomorobo.

My story had a happy ending but a number of "what if's" could have completely derailed my efforts to activate nomorobo.  I understand Comcast support's record is abysmal, but if they are going to participate in this program, they need to do a better job insuring their personnel are versed in the actual service and can actively assist their own customers in setting it up.

Perhaps I should forward this story to any applicable regulatory oversight agency such as the FTC or FCC? 

Regular Visitor

Re: Nomorobo set-up Comcast support (lack-of)

now that you have had it for awhile, is it working as expected? I'm thinking of switching from centurylink landline to comcast simply because of nomorobo, but I don't want to eliminate one hassle for another. Any feedback would be helpful...

Expert

churlock2014 wrote:

now that you have had it for awhile, is it working as expected? I'm thinking of switching from centurylink landline to comcast simply because of nomorobo, but I don't want to eliminate one hassle for another. Any feedback would be helpful...

I have NOMO running on my set-up..... and yes, there is a "disconnect" on the Comcast support side.... the How To isn't really correct any longer....  I got mine working by trial and error....

I can see every call being FWD'd to NOMO's number and when the phone rings only once, I know that the call was disconnected at NOMO's actions.... if it continues to ring, it is not a number that is in NOMO's database...    it does not stop my Doctor or my Pharmacy calls as others have suggested....

-=Ray=-

Frequent Visitor

I love nomorobo!  We have gotten exactly one call since I set it up in mid-May/2015.  Previously, we'd get 3-5 calls per day.  I have set it up for my elderly parents who can't move very fast and so have gotten very frustrated chasing the phone only to hear a sales pitch.  They love it too.  This is one example of a govt. partnership with private interest that seems to have really worked.  Can't recommend it enough.  Good luck.

Regular Visitor

Thanks for the quick update. Oddly enough, I had been out of town last week with the thought that I was going to make the switch when I got back last sunday. However, up to now (thursday night, 4 full days) I haven't gotten any calls! I usually get the 3-5 calls a day, but so far no calls from "Brigett" telling me something about my credit card nor any of the other assorted bs calls. I don't know what's up with that, but upon commencement of these calls I'll make the switch. Thanks again for the positive feedback re nomorobot....

Frequent Visitor

Last week, the FCC voted to officially allow all regulated carriers to offer robocall blocking services to their customers and that customers have the right to request that they do so..

Just do a search for "FCC robocalls" to read all the news stories about the decision.

Frequent Visitor

i can't get nomorobo to work, just put up a post for help.

i am an IT, so i think i know what i am doing.

nomorobo is very simple i think, i just pick landline/voip with comcast, and my phone number.

i then go to comcast portal, follow nomorobo instructions which just say to add the number nomo gives me to the advanced call forwarding section with rings set to 5. then test it out to validate and enable.

and then it fails. it rings my phone the bar progresses, but about a ring away it stops. this always happens. 

i too called comcast last night with about the same results as the OP. I asked about nomo, i might as well have been speaking martian.i asked if they could go to the nomo robo page, they said they could use the internet! WTH, your tech support can't open a browser. seriously. 

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Expert

jbinbi wrote:

i can't get nomorobo to work, just put up a post for help.

i am an IT, so i think i know what i am doing.

nomorobo is very simple i think, i just pick landline/voip with comcast, and my phone number.

i then go to comcast portal, follow nomorobo instructions which just say to add the number nomo gives me to the advanced call forwarding section with rings set to 5. then test it out to validate and enable.

and then it fails. it rings my phone the bar progresses, but about a ring away it stops. this always happens. 

i too called comcast last night with about the same results as the OP. I asked about nomo, i might as well have been speaking martian.i asked if they could go to the nomo robo page, they said they could use the internet! WTH, your tech support can't open a browser. seriously. 

any help would be greatly appreciated.

YOu must give nomorobo time to process the call and then decide to cancel or drop the call....   My setup works perfectly.... my nomorobo is setup to forward the call on the 2nd ring and my VM is set to answer on the 5th ring....   it works as my Doctor's office is still able to leave VMs for me even when I see the call being fwd to nomo...

Frequent Visitor

ray, thanks for the quick response, but i am not making myself understood. 

i can't nomorobo to setup and be enabled. it won't complete the setup process.

it dails my number to verify it, the bar should change color and then i should pick up.

the bar never changes color, it times out.

Frequent Visitor

Are you answering the phone on the third ring during setup?

New Poster

Same here, can't get it to set up.   I have even changed the rings to 9, still times out.  Call Xfinity and they don't know what to do after putting you on hold forever, then they say they will call back with a solution.  I still haven't revceivd the call.   I also have a nonpublished number, and guess where I found my telephone number online?  The Whitepages.com.....   They were to have tier2 call me back by right now about my nonpublished number being published....  but no call from them either.....  

Bronze Problem Solver

This is an ancient thread that you have resurrected but to get NOMOROBO to work you have to turn on Voice2GO then set up advanced call forwarding.

Turn on voice to go here logged on as primary account.

https://customer.xfinity.com/Secure/VoiceSettings.aspx

Then this link to set up advanced call forwarding and rings.

https://pf.connect.comcast.net/OptimusPref/prefs/voice

Frequent Visitor

Regardring last post - Comcast is still clueless about how to hook nomorobo up and if you don't have wireless you can't turn on Voice2GO and the only message you get when you go to link referenced is:

"Voice Settings

Your XFINITY® Voice service does not include XFINITY Mobile Voice. [?]"

Kind of a catch 22...
Bronze Problem Solver

You can turn voice2go at the link I provided above.   I have done it and it works fine.  No phone or wireless required.  But you do need the Voice unlimited service.

As far as Comcast is clueless yes they are.   the instructions are incomplete in that they don't tell you that you have to have voice2go turned on and the reps don't know either.

Regular Visitor

I have tried many, many times to set Nomorobo up with no success.  Voice2Go is active and all of the instructions have been exactly followed and yet the result is the same, my phone is not protected.  I tried calling Comcast support and as someone said earlier, I might as well have been speaking Martian.

Oh well, it was a great idea and I'm happy for those for whom it works.

Expert

mainesail55 wrote:

I have tried many, many times to set Nomorobo up with no success.  Voice2Go is active and all of the instructions have been exactly followed and yet the result is the same, my phone is not protected.  I tried calling Comcast support and as someone said earlier, I might as well have been speaking Martian.

Oh well, it was a great idea and I'm happy for those for whom it works.

If you're willing to post all of the steps you have taken in your NOMOROBO setup, I will try and assist you.  When posting, do not input your perosnal information ( name, number, email, etc ).

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

New Poster

I had the same problem as the OP. The instructions say to log in to Comcast, then click "Voice & Text". Well, there is no "Voice & Text". What *is* on the page you get after logging on is an obscure icon consisting of three small horizontal bars in the upper left corner of the web page, to the left of the words "My XFINITY     Shop/Upgrade     Support     My Account". If you click on this "hamburger" icon you get a drop-down menu; one of the choices is Voice. That brings you to a page with two menu bars, the second of which says "Email Voice Address Book Calendar Text Messaging Preferences". Click Preferences. On the next page, click the icon labeled "VOICE". You get five prefences to set, the second one of which is "Call Forwarding and rings". You have to wait a few seconds for that to change, automatically, to "Advanced Call Forwarding". Wait a little while longer for the browser to fill in the text to the right of "Advanced Call Forwarding" with its current configuration. Click "EDIT" to the right of that text. At this point you should be able to "Add" a second phone number (the NoMoRobo phone number in the instructions) to ring when someone calls your number, and set it to 5 rings. (Right now the EDIT button is broken, it results in a message "Your call screening settings could not be loaded at this time." I have tried to reconstruct from memory what happens after you click EDIT.)

You do not need a smartphone, you do not need Voice2go. I have neither.

Hours of stumbling around the Comcast and Xfinity sites and doing various Google searches in an attempt to solve this problem were unsuccessful. What did the trick was a chat box opening up with no overt action on my part. I explained my problem to "Marilyn," who was aware of NoMoRobo. She told me to log in and click "Voice & Text." When I explained that there was no "Voice & Text" to click, she immediately drew my attention to the hamburger icon, after which things were straightforward. A gold star for Marilyn who knew about NoMoRobo and knew about the hamburger icon. A raspberry for whatever web designer hid this important function in a completely non-obvious place and then failed to document it.

As near as I can tell, it is working. NoMoRobo has rejected one call that came in while I was home. No robocalls have come in since I configured my phone number for NoMoRobo. NoMoRobo says that they are working on a feature to display the phone numbers that it has blocked. Comcast users may be able to do so from the Comcast web site. Log in to Comcast, click the envelope icon in the upper right, just to the left of "Hi, <your name>". Click Voice on the second menu bar. Click on "Placed Calls". I see one call placed to the NoMoRobo phone number. That doesn't match my understanding of how NoMoRobo works, but the dashboard shows a call received from (allegedly) Owasso, OK at exactly the same time. whocallsme.com reports that this number is associated with a scammer representing himself as "Microsoft Security Tech." Score one for NoMoRobo!

Regular Contributor

nomorobo is configurable to use with the phone service, but it is not offered by comcast and not supported by comcast (just like with norton, it's offered to use with the service, but not supported by comcast because it is not one of thier products)

Regular Visitor

I have been thinking of putting this on my phone. I've now read through about 6 of these messages and they all say about the same thing which is par for the course! They don't know nothin! But they sure have taught them how to BS us on how our 2 yr contract with that guaranteed price quote is not going to change, has all of a sudden changed! And if you tell them it was not explained to you this way and you want out of this contract because they've bamboozled you! They have no problem charging you a cancellation fee! Because they say your service price has not changed it's the equipment that has gone up! <br>They suggested I buy my own modem.... so I did.... about $150. My next bill hasn't actually been finalized yet but when I looked in "Manage your bill" section it went up by $5.00, we shall see what happens when it's actually finalized! At this point.... I'm burning mad!!!! 😡
New Poster

I bought a robocall blocker device (Sentry) a while back that basically does a simular thing as NOMOROBO.   But all callers get a no-robocall message and must press 0 to be put through.   Once a caller does this I can put them on a "White LIst" so they never here the message again.  The downside for me is that both the box and the NOMOROBO service is that the phone has to ring once when it is blocking a call.   Not good when I am sleeping at the time!  When my Sentry blocks a number I put it in the "Black List" on the Sentry.   If I get a second call from the same number that reads rejected, I then use Comcasts call blocking list to completly block the number from ringing my phone.   The problem with this is that Comast only offers a call blocking list that can hold 25 numbers.   So, I keep a log of the numbers I have put into the Comcast list with the date they were blocked.   Then I delete the oldest number from the Comcast list when I need to add a number.  This has been working pretty well, as the numbers I have had to delete have all been over a year old and have not repeated.