Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

New service internet and Porting number issues

Regular Visitor

New service internet and Porting number issues

I recently subscribed to Comcast for the "Triple Play" package and the holdup is porting my old number from At&t.  The contract installers came and were not able to install my number.  The last I commuinicated with comcast they were to bring a new number while the porting issue was worked out.

Not that Comcast was doing anything they wanted me to contact At&t to work out the porting issue.  Like I have any idea what to even begin to ask for!  I did try twice and gave up being on hold for 20 minutes.  One reason I abandoned At&t!

It just seems ridiculous that Comcast expects the consumers to chase down phone number porting.  As it is I changed the phone service back to regular At&t service so that I would not be without a phone when they remove the Uverse system.  The Comcast representatives did not offer much assistance with this problem and the contract installers only relayed it was up to me to contact At&t before the next scheduled appointment to install the phone service.  Which I had no input into the appointment.

Separate issue is with internet install.  I recently relocated from another address where I had comcast internet and tv.  As part of that install I received a promotional discount and rebate on a wireless cable modem.  I asked the installer to use that device.  He did attempt and then I was told it would not work based on his conversation with Comcast tech.  Again no real explanation, so now I am stuck with a non wireless modem where my other users dont have access.  I contacted Comcast and have a free wireless modem I can self install for $9.95.  But I will be waiting up to 6 weeks for delivery!

I would try and install any number of wireless routers on my cable modem but am afraid I will lose service entirely.  I reviewed instructions online at comcast seems simple but so was number porting!

While the contract installers were friendly, they were not very thorough in setting up and even if I wanted to upgrade an install such as wireless modem they had no additional equipment with them.  If I deal with a comcast install again I will insist on their own installers for a more complete job with upgrades available.  They forgot to program a remote for TV control, good luck trying to figure that out with the multiple page manual for the remote!

I was hoping to have a simple change of service with better reliability but this is quickly turning into more work than necessary on my part. 

Looking forward to a solution.

Thank you

Cable Expert

Re: New service internet and Porting number issues

The Comcast Cares Team at the Corp. HQ has been notified of your post.

Watch this post and your email for updates from the team, more likely in less than 5 business days.

My own opinion on number ports is to delay the installation until the ported number is ready from the other provider.  More goes wrong when you get a new temp number until the port is ready.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Too bad they don't offer that when they are signing you up, I certainly would have waited to avoid all of this hassle.

Thank you

Cable Expert

My number porting was not ready by the original install date because of delays at AT&T.  My original installation date was canceled and moved out 10 days.  By then AT&T was ready on their end.

That was in early 2009, and now the porting times is supposed to be faster than back then. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

To further clarify for those that might want to got through this hassle, just today after two visits from Comcast technicians to install the phone service (unschdeuled by the way)  I got back on the online chat and finally an analyst produced the document that no one else has to this point "Comcast Letter of Agency".  My guess is that was the form that has been needed the whole time.

Comcast really needs to get their act together in this regard I cannot be the only person experiencing this issue.  Until the curent provider gets the request their is nothing that will happen.  Meantime the consumer is stuck in the quagmire of beauracracy and paying double bills until the service can be transferred.

Up until this morning I was ready to remove the service go with internet only, Dish network and ATT phone service just like the old days!  I will give it another week to resolve at this point kudos to the analyst John Raymond who seem to have it together, why not have him be the standard.

By the way the cable service has been on and off again since install, I called in the problem and they said no outages and a tech would be by.  Well he did come by to install the phone and had no record of the problem or outage.  I was then told that there was an outage in my area so we will see if the cable will even work for a day and of course that affects internet as well.

It would be near impossible for the average consumer to have the time to be able to go through all of this, meanwhile Comcast is billing me for everyday that I dont have phone service and substandard cable service amazing!

Frequent Visitor

I bought the EMTA 722g thing yesterday at Best Buy despite being told how hard and awful it is to install and how I need to have someone come and plug it in. I get home set it up call in and the phone service is up within i a few minutes. The internet was another story after 2 hours of stupid stuff like turn your lan card off and on (despite telling them that everything worked great before i switched from my old surboard to the aaris box). As I was about to give up i decided to change the ethernet cable and boom it worked. Everything was working, my faxes are going out without problems where my former packet8 "fax" service rarely worked.

So today I call to port my packet8 # over to my new comcast line, the guy tells me i have to have someone come out to make it work. I laughed (being an I/T consultant for the past 15 or so years and porting numbers all over the place). He then said it would take 10 days to do (again, how is it others could port from bellsouth to voip providers etc almost instantly). OK fine. I hang up and sure enough the line goes dead and it eems the guy deleted my voice service off the switch. Now I'm waiting several hours for them to put it back together.

Just a bizzare experience all around. 

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation