Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

New eMTA does not work with voice.

Frequent Visitor

New eMTA does not work with voice.

Hello,

I just had a DOCSIS 3.0 eMTA (Arris TM722G) shipped to my house to replace the DOCSIS 2.0 eMTA (Arris TM502G) beacuse my internet connection was upgraded to Ultra which I understand requires the DOCSIS 3.0 modem. I connected it all up and had to call to get the internet working and at the end of the call, I realized the phone was not working. The Customer Service Rep on the phone did not know much about the voice modems.

I had the modem connected the same way the previous one was. He put me on hold and said he determined the modem had not been provisioned for voice service and instructed me to go to the local service center to get another one. This made absolutely no sense to me, why would they ship me an eMTA after doing the 3rd party verification for voice and then not provision it for voice? I've also been told different information by some reps that local service centers do not even have eMTA's and some reps say they do have them. The Rep instead ended up scheduling a tech to come out this Thursday, leaving me without my phone connection for the next two days.

I just decided to try connecting the old TM502G eMTA to a cable line in another room and connect the modem to the phone jack in the wall, and I now have a dial tone again. I'm not sure why they couldn't instruct me to do this in the first place so I at least have my phone line working for now, I had to figure it out on my own. I now have both eMTA's connected, one feeding my internet in one room and one feeding the phone.

My main question is do I really need a tech to come out here to get the new modem to work for voice or are the Customer Service Reps just unsure of what needs to be done? I just don't want to end up getting charged for them sending a tech out here and also last time I had an appointment window from 9am-11am I did see a tech until 4:30PM and spent my entire day off waiting for them.

Thanks!
Frank

Highlighted
Cable Expert

Re: New eMTA does not work with voice.

It is odd that Comcast sent you a eMTA without setting up a tech visit.

I've notified the Comcast Cares Team to look into your issue and get your setup.

Watch this post and your email for updates from the team during the business week.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

It was all packed in a box with the modem, power cord, backup battery, coax cables, ethernet cable with instructions on the inside of the flap on how to connect everything. A self-install kit if you will. I didn't even realize they weren't supposed to send eMTA's without a tech visit in the first place. If I have to have them come out I suppose I can deal with that, I just hope I'm not stuck waiting all day again.. I was just trying to avoid it if possible since I have it all connected already. I can't see them having to do much more then make a call unless this new eMTA needs to be switched out for some reason. Thanks for your assistance!

Cable Expert

As policies vary by Comcast market, most usually send the self install kit only for new installs where the phone number is not being ported from another carrier.

At least your still in business until the team gets you switched over.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

New Poster

It's interesting to learn others are having the same problem.  I also had the new eMTA shipped to me with the assurance of the Comcast call center that it could be connected my self.  I have been with out phone service for over a week, my family has been busy and I haven't had the time to deal with this.  They knew I had the phone service when it was shipped and you have to beg to get a tech sent to your home.  I have every service offered, my bill is always in the $300 range, I feel better service should be offered and I am ready to get rid of Comcast for good!

Cable Expert

citymom8992 wrote:

I have notified the Comcast Cares Team to also get your issues with your eMTA solved.

Watch this post and your email for updates from the team during the business week.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Problem Solver

I was working on your issue and now your phone should be working. Please let me know.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.

Frequent Visitor

Larry,

I did not see your post until just now. The tech actually just came out and got everything working. He tested all the signals at the house first, then tried to provision the eMTA for voice with his device and it did not work. He made a call and they were able to get it working on the other end. Everything is now working. Thanks.

Problem Solver

Glad everything is working. If you have anymore issues please don't hesitate to contact us on the forums.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation