Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

New Modem and Now Some Phones Work, Some Do Not

New Poster

New Modem and Now Some Phones Work, Some Do Not

I recently switched out my old modem with the new Technicolor modem/router sent to me by Comcast.  Internet works fine.  I am, however, having issues with the phones.  I have 8 phone outlets in the house.  I have phones plugged into two of those outlets.  On a third, a line runs from the wall outlet to one of the two phone slots in the Technicolor modem.  Plugged into the other modem phone slot is a phone line splitter.  There are two phone lines that are plugged into the splitter -- one goes to a fax machine; the other goes to a cordless phone base station.  The phones associated with the base station work fine.  Good connection.  Ditto with the fax.  The problem is the two telephones plugged into other outlets.  Get no dial tone, just a high pitched screeching noise.  I did not have this problem with the old modem.  FYI, I have a two line system (two separate phone numbers).  Anybody got any ideas?

New Poster

Re: New Modem and Now Some Phones Work, Some Do No

Did you previously have telephone lines coming into the house?  If so, you need to go out to the little gray box where they were housed.  Using a screw driver, open the box and disable the phone lines.  Make sure you don't just move them out of the way cuz when you close the box again, they'll re-connect.  Worked for me.  Good luck. 

Tags (1)
New Poster

Got a grey box.  Opened it up and saw the cable line.  There was a beige cord that had what appears to be individual telephone wires (I can tell by the color schemes).  They were joined together in different pairings by little wire connectors.  Did not do anything yet, but look. 

Regular Contributor

If unplugging the phone line from the NID box does not work, try plugging a phone directly into the phone jack on the modem that the house wiring is connected to.  You still need to leave the phone wiring in the NID box unplugged.    If the service works fine at this point, you probably have a problem with your house phone wiring which will need to be repaired.  If the service does not work with a phone plugged directly into the modem, then you should call Comcast because the line might have not been activated correctly or there could be another issue with that phone line.

P.S. You can also hire Comcast to fix the phone wiring in your house if you determine that is where the problem is.  The

Regular Visitor

I had nothing but issues with this TECHNICOLOR unit. It is faulty and Comcast knows it. Make them exchange it for the ARRIS Wireless Gateway 1 device. They won't allow you to get their Wireless Gateway 2 device.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation