Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

Moving Phone Number over from AT&T

New Poster

Moving Phone Number over from AT&T

Recently, starting 3 weeks ago, I've been assisting my parents with their Comcast* Xfinity* account. Our goal was to bundle their phone service with their cable and internet to cut cost and save money. The phone bill alone with AT&T* was on average $115.00/m. By moving service they'd be saving $75.00/m. Their only condition was that they could keep their phone number and have it moved over. This apparently isn't a smooth process. 

After the initial phone call we agreed to setup the Triple Play* service and with the condition that the phone number remain the same. We were told that the number must be "ported over" and that AT&T* will have to release the number after our request is processed. This usually takes 3-5 business days. We received equipment after two days and setup the new modem. After the 5 days we placed a call to see if phone service had been processed and their number had been moved over. The AE told us that no request had been processed and that they had no record of us requesting the number being moved over. Again, we requested the number be moved over and went through the process again.

Week 2

After another 3 days, I called to see where we were in the process, to find out if the number had been "ported over" yet. Again, the AE told us that no such request was noted in the account, and that they did see that we had Triple Play* service, but with different number. Frustrated, but patient, I did request the number be "ported over". This time they said the number would be ready by Saturday. They scheduled a technician for that Saturday. I meet with the technician at my parents home and awaited the phone service being setup. The technician called into the service department, and spent about an hour and a half talking to them. He told us the number was not ready but that the porting department was setting it up "as we speak" and that they'll call you in an hour. He left me with a number to call after they call me to setup the rest of the service. They never called us.

Although, I can't say who's end is at fault here, (Xfinity* or AT&T*), but my patience is running thin.

Moving on to week 3, were still paying AT&T for phone service, (to retain the number of course) and Triple Play* service. This was not the Goal.

Seeking resolution.  

Anyone having the same issues?

New Poster

Re: Moving Phone Number over from AT&T

hank you for your posting. I was considering doing the same thing - moving my AT&T number to comcast voice. However, after reading your post I will wait or explore other options.

Thanks again

Regular Contributor

Re: Moving Phone Number over from AT&T

I would recommend sending an email to we_can_help@cable.comcast.com because they are sometimes better at resolving issues like this than the regular telephone support department.  If your modem is already set up properly, the problem is probably on Comcast's side.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation