Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

Large downloads cause modem reboot / CDV never comes back

Regular Visitor

Large downloads cause modem reboot / CDV never comes back

Been trying to find some help on this and hoping someone here can help me out.

About two weeks ago my service started having issues (after 9 months of near flawless service). The first problem was that I lost half of my HD channels, and after spending 2 hours on the phone with a tech the only resolution was a few "change of service fees" on my next bill. The channels came back in the next day, but my other services have since gone downhill.

If I download anything large, my modem will reboot and when it comes back up, the phone doesn’t come back up with it. As a result, I have missed a lot of calls and haven’t realized it until I go to use the phone and find it dead. The only way I have found that fixes it is rebooting the modem several more times. When I log into the modem and take a look at the logs there are all sorts of messages, none of which make a lot of sense. Part of my job is working with large files that I download from work servers, etc. and if I don’t do that, the modem stays up for days.

I called Comcast and a tech came out, looked at my levels, told me they were fine and left. He also indicated there may be others in my area with the same problem. He handed me a card of his supervisor, let me know I should call him if the problem wasn’t fixed in a few days. A few days past, the problem persisted so I left a message for the supervisor. I have yet to hear anything back.

My service is still having issues, I have no updates on when it will be fixed, or if it even will be fixed. I rely on my phone to always work, and I rely on my internet to work. I was assured many times over that the internet is totally separate from the phone, and these types of thing will never happen.

Can someone help me out? Thanks!

Regular Contributor

Re: Large downloads cause modem reboot / CDV never comes back

Dear eric_mcgovern,

After checking your service levels and your account, I think it’s very possible that you may have an issue with your eMTA. I realize you recently had a service technician to your home, but I’m not sure that he was able to fix the problem. Please contact us, or email me directly, and we will set you up for another service technician.

Regular Visitor

Re: Large downloads cause modem reboot / CDV never comes back

Thanks for the response, I went ahead and emailed you. Hopefully you can point me in the right direction!
Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation