Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

Incompetence!! Wrong Phone Number

Regular Visitor

Incompetence!! Wrong Phone Number

My mom moved into a new house yesterday in a different area code which required her to change her phone number.  Weeks ago I called Comcast to request that they transfer her voice/internet service to her new house effective yesterday.  They gave me the new phone number of xxx-5663. At the time I called the number out of curiosity and sure enough it was disconnected.  In the mean time I have updated my mom's phone number with countless companies and people.

Yesterday morning I hooked up the modem at the new house and called Comcast to have it activated and it went off without a hitch..phone and internet worked fine.  We used the phone yesterday for both inbound and outbound calls and the xxx-5663 number worked properly and displayed correctly on Caller ID's (which I double checked today).  The only odd thing I noticed is when I set up mom's voice mail there were 6 messages belonging to someone else..but they were very old from March/April of this year so I thought nothing of it.

This morning I called the xxx-5663 number to speak to my mom and it worked fine.  Then I called her old phone number this morning to make sure there was a forwarding number listed but I only got a fast busy signal.  So I called Comcast to have that fixed and they couldn't locate my mom using the xxx-5663 number..and told me the number is actually xxx-5563.  I argued with this woman for quite awhile but to no avail. She said the xxx-5663 number has belonged to someone else since 2012! While on the phone with her I used my cell and called the xxx-5663 number and it was suddenly disconnected..and I called the "correct" xxx-5563 number and my mom answered.

I asked how it could belong to someone else when 1. I called it weeks ago and it was disconnected, 2. it's disconnected now, and 3. We activated and used it all day yesterday and this morning.   She had no explanation but said there's nothing they can do.  I asked to speak to a supervisor but of course none were available (too scared I'm sure to have to face a customer after showing this level of incompetence).. so I"m awaiting a call back but I expect I'll be ignored and I'll have to call them back again later.

I am absolutely seething about this. I spent hours and hours updating all of mom's information with 3rd parties and now I'm going to have to do it all over again if this can't be fixed. 

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation