Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Incoming calls won't ring on phone. Help!

Regular Contributor

Incoming calls won't ring on phone. Help!

Since the router firmware update on my DCP3939 the incoming phone calls won't ring on my phone. It will only show the incoming call on my television. Can't make outbound calls either. Please help! Thank you Smiley Happy
New Poster

Re: Incoming calls won't ring on phone. Help!

I am having the same issue.  It started 2 weeks ago when they switched out my cable modem to the one you listed above.  I've been on the phone with Comcast for 5 + hours and no one seems to be able to resolve the issue.  Please post if you do find a resolution.  I will do the same.  

Regular Contributor

I'm hoping EG or another Comcast rep can come in here and help. Because, as of now, I'm at a loss..
New Poster

My ticket is being escalated to Tier 2 service.  48 - 72 hours.

New Poster

same here - Phone was out last week - it was then finally reset and I do get a dail tone - but no one can call in 

Regular Contributor

I did a reset but that didn't work. I even did a factory reset. Nothing. Phone still doesn't ring when calls come in. I can't answer them nor make calls. Only see them coming in on my television. I wish somewhere here had an answer. Where are the comcast reps when you need them here ?.
New Poster

Same issue here.  Had voice installed today and quickly realized there was no ring when Comcast tried to send me my new pin#. Of course the installation contractor had left and after over an hour with a chat rep I now have no phone service at all. Let's see, how are they going to call me to say they can't come back for a month????

New Poster

I am having the same issue. i swaped out my o;d modem for a new one today and Comcast say they are calling me but it is not ringing in my home. I  can not make calls out either (no dial tone just silence) i have been on the phone with them for 3 hours and 1 hour with chat.

Regular Contributor

Looks like it's not an isolated issue. Let us know how you guys made out. If anyone else is having the same problems post them here. I'm still without my phone for 5 days.
New Poster

I have this same problem....just learned that all incoming calls are going directly to voice mail. Is that what is happening to everybody else and how do we fix it?
New Poster

Same problem here no incoming or outgoing calls. Incoming calls on home phone are being directed immediately to VM.

xGMANx wrote:
Since the router firmware update on my DCP3939 the incoming phone calls won't ring on my phone. It will only show the incoming call on my television. Can't make outbound calls either. Please help! Thank you Smiley Happy
New Poster

Just curious--has anyone gotten this problem fixed? My phone is doing the same thing. We rarely use it, so I didn't really notice until a couple of weeks ago (and until my Mom said that I never answer my home phone). Sucks to pay for a service that doesn't work properly.

New Poster

Don't we ALL find it troubling that we HAVE to pay for services (in our neighborhood at least) that we are only able to utilize COMCAST for TV, Net & Phone?  

I am very frustrated.

I too have spent endless hours on hold to calls that are outsourced to a contintent that I am certain can get better service than we can!  I have a white noise on my phone.  Calls are still going to Magic Jack, which I cancelled a month ago and was asured by MJ AND COMCAST that my number had been ported back.  

I STILL can not call out or get calls on my home phone.  

CAN SOMEONE  FROM COMCAST IN THE USA please call me or email me WITH THE SOLUTION?  

I am an extremely patient person but right now, I can not find a thank you or a PLEASE left towards this company.

BPU  Board of Public Utilities is my next call-

Regular Visitor

I had the same problem and fixed it, though you aren't going to like how I ended up fixing it. When I first installed the new comcast gateway/modem my wife noticed incoming calls were going to voice mail. Long Long story made short (Labor day weekend was spent with comcast resetting and reinitallizing and switching to Line 2, etc., I must have called them 8 times) I found the phone outlet at the back of the new box was reversed. I eventually cut an 8 inch piece of phone line, reversed the red and green and crimped on a new phone jack, I happened to have extra line, a crimp device and extra jacks from many years ago. When the scheduled comcast technician arrived after the long Labor day weekend I told him the story, he said if it is working just leave it that way. I wanted to let comcast know that my local phone connection was no longer a standard connection. When I took the phone line off their old comcast modem and plugged it into the new one I changed nothing else in the household, there are 6 or 8 phones connected through out the home but only one line going downstairs gets plugged into the new modem, as before. If my home hook up worked with their old modem it should have worked, unchanged, with the new modem. The technician assumed that the line was reversed inside the new modem. That is unlikely, they must have made hundreds of thousands of these new gateway/modem boxes and surely test them. I found it because I happened to have a phone tester that plugs into a phone plug and tells you if the line is OK, open, reversed, shorted, etc. The strange part of this story is when I was with comcast on the phone (I could call out) and we tried both of the outlets coming out of the rear of the new box (they have to set it up at their end) the line that I was not using tested OK, the line set up to be used, by comcast, was reversed. When they switched to the other line, again troubleshooting on the phone, that situation reversed, the one they had set up to use became reversed, the other one was not reversed. You cannot just switch to the other line on the rear of the box, they have to set it up for you. In any case nothing they did would make it work, I just stumbled onto the problem with the tester. This tester I had laying around for probably 20 years or more. You can likely find one anywhere they sell phone outlets and jacks and phone accessories. I agree you shouldn't have to fix this problem, comcast should. I wrote them and called in the solution I stumbled onto so they would know of my problem and document it with their technicians. They said the conversation was recorded and their technical people would review it. Apparently they haven't, I see many have had the same problem. Why incoming calls went to voice mail and didn't ring the phone (any of my phones) I don't know. In the old days, like 30 or 40 years ago, it was common knowledge that if you reversed the phone lines you couldn't call out but would get incoming calls. That is what the phone company would do if you wanted a business line for only incoming calls to a recorder. But if you reversed the lines that same phone could then be used for outgoing (and incoming) calls. That is not what this situation was however. With this problem you could call out but incoming calls would go to voice mail without ringing any phone. But that gives you a clue as to why I checked the line and reversed it, not the same situation but it worked! Another check for a properly connected phone used to be to pick up the phone, note the dial tone and also note that when you pressed the first number the dial tone would go away. That is what my phone does now, of course it is working now. I forget what it did before I reversed the line....but keep in mind that before reversing the line I could make outgoing calls ok. Reversing the line allowed incoming calls and of course I could still make outgoing calls. So you agree life gets interesting? At this point if you have to fix it yourself good luck. If you crimp a new plug on the end of a short piece of line you only have to twist the whole line 180 degrees. You don't have to strip or fool with the red and green separately, the crimp device will connect the jack to the two, or four, wires automatically. If you have only one phone line the two center wires are used and are red and green, the other two are not used. When you are done crimping one of the jacks will be standard (compare it to one of your present phone line ends) and the other (after rotating the whole line upside down, 180 degrees and crimping it) will show the red and green reversed, (when compared to the other end which is standard). Comcast apparently hasn't worked out a solution to this judging from the number of complaints I see. Again good luck.
New Poster

I am currently experiencing the same problem. 3 weeks ago we replaced the modem with the new gateway device and ever since then the phones in my house aren't working. No calling in or out. Spent 2 hours on the Comcast "chat line" to no avail. Said there may be a problem with the phone lines in my house. I'm not believing this because I've never had a problem with my phones until we switched this modem. This is terrible service! So frustrating!
New Poster

I have the same problem and calling support phone gets a hangup or no answer.

New Poster

Your post is very thorough and so seems your technical knowledge base. What are the answers for we who are not technically endowed. Where can the issue be escalated?

Regular Visitor

Sorry, when I first wrote of my experience I used many paragraphs that were merged into one long mess when I posted it.  Sloppy at best, they should allow the post to appear as it is written.

Judging from other similar complaints many are having ths problem.   It appears that it is the same problem I had at first but some complain that with a substiture modem they couldn't get incoming or outgoing calls.  My problem was only incoming going to voice mail without ringing the phone.  I didn't change any of the house wiring either, so comcast shouldn't be blaming the house wiring, as with one case I read.

For my problem I reversed the red and green wires in the four wire phone line.  If you don't have a crimper or end pieces to crimp to a short piece of wire my comments won't help you much.   I would suggest you show my writeup to a comcast technician but I have to say the technician that visited me may or may not have been equipped to make up that small reversed piece of phone line.  You also need a female to female adaptor to connect that short piece between the modem and the house wiring, I forgot to mention that.   The typicasl phone end jack that comes with the typical phone has a male ending, the wall outlet in the typical home is a female.  When you remove the male phone line from the modem, hook it into a female to female adaptor the other end of the female adaptor and the modem female adaptor would be both female, so the short piece of reversed line would have male connectors on each end.  I would think that comcast would be equipped for that though they may not have thought of reversing the line at one of the connectors.

I agree that at this point comcast must have hundreds of this same or closely related complaints on file.   Perhaps they have now resolved the problem, I would call them again.  It is certainly their responsibility to fix it without charge to the customer. 

When ever comcast sends me a new increased billing with numerous items showing on two pages and I balk at the bill and call them I end up talking with what they call their "retention" people.  These are people that are authorized to make adjustments and credits to the bill rather than lose a customer.  Perhaps they also carry enough weight to get the technical people to solve the problem, call them and threaten to quit, you are paying for something you are not getting.

Sorry I can't be more help.   This is a technical area that comcast should resolve.  You can also threaten to take them to small claims court, that should get someone to move.  Or talk to one of their "senior managers".   Good luck. 

New Poster

The *SIMPLE* solution. Seriously.. Worked perfectly.

I didn't have a ring for 2 months.

Only use a 2 wire cord from the modem to your house wiriing.  

The outer 2 wires are making the modem freak out, so don't connect them.

If you can't find a 2 wire cord, open the jack plate where you connect the modem and house and disconnect the yellow and black wire.

Rejoice!

If the off chance that doesn't work , then reverse the green and red wire in the jack plate. 

Then you should be good to go.

It was completely a HOUSE WIRING issue and not Comcasts.

Frequent Visitor

Wow, you lost me but maybe I should call you to fix my phone ? LOL Since you have to talk to 20 reps and spend at least 4 days on your cell phone before they even understand your problem!

New Poster

shoot me an email  tag . loomis at gmail

New Poster

I have same problem - no phone  the internet phone inputs on the new modem won't light like the other ports to indicate working

New Poster

since the day I installed modem- this needs resolved and a credit

New Poster

i have a cable to the modem only, phone wiring from modem to phone

New Poster

Well, I tried your fix and it didn't change the behavior.  I can still dial out, but my incoming calls do not ring my phone or go to voicemail.  I have connected a local phone (doesn't work) and also connected it to my pbx with only two wires (w and w/b) and tried them both ways to no avail.  Dial tone going out, no incoming calls.

Waiting for support to call me back tomorrow.

New Poster

I have the same problem. Not only do the incoming calls not ring on my phone but also I cannot get a dal tone.  The phone just shows Check Tel Line.  Does anyone know how to fix this?

Frequent Visitor

First question: is the telephone plugged into the #1 phone port on the back of the voice modem directly or into 1 of the phone wall pates around the house? An incorrect connection can lead to no dial tone. If this is a newly replaced voice modem, did you complete the activation process to the point the Tele 1 light on the front of the modem is solidly lit up?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats