Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

How to set up a land line through my triple play comcast package

New Poster

How to set up a land line through my triple play comcast package

I have the triple play package through Comcast but have not had a need for a land line phone until now.  Comcast came out and set up the modem in a central location in my residence, so that I could get internet access in every room.  So, my dilemma is this.  How can I get a land line connected to my modem, if I need to use the phone in my home office, which is about 25 feet away from my modem?  When I called Comcast customer service, it was a fiasco trying to get a straight answer. I asked how to set up the land line and if I do it myself of if someone needed to come down to set it up and if there would be a charge for Comcast to do it.   I was told they would charge $49, which first of all, I was unsure about, as I was told when I signed up for triple play there would be no charge for set up.   Can someone who has knowledge of land line set up through Comcast, please help?  Thanks in advance!

Contributor

Re: How to set up a land line through my triple play comcast package

You could get a cordless phone set and put the base unit near the modem plugged into the telephone jack of the modem and put a remote cordless phone in your office.

New Poster

Awesome!  Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.  As far as your suggestion, Comcast told me that I could get a cordless phone and put the base near the modem, BUT, the person I spoke to in customer service, also said that I still needed to get another phone to put in my office, because the cordless phone needed to stay on the base unit?  I didn't think that made sense.  But when I called back and spoke to someone else, they said I would need someone to come in from Comcast, in order to set up a cable to reach from the modem to my office, in order to use the phone in that room.  So, now I'm unclear.  Thanks again, truly!

Frequent Visitor

Cable issues

Telephone.

I assume you have phone jacks throughout your house. These provide the most simple and easiest way to solve your issue. The important thing to remember if you want to use them, is that they have a small amount of power running through them if the phone company's lines were ever connected to the house and, you must be sure to disconnect the jacks from the phone company's grid before you hook any other provider's equipment to them. So, you go outside to the phone box on the side or back of your house. Take both a Phillips and Flat head screwdriver, as I've seen both types of screws used. Open the box, you will see two screws with wires at the top of the plate inside. Loosen the screws and unhook the wires, making sure they don't come into contact with anything. Be forewarned, if you do not do this, and hook up to the jacks, you can cause enough of a power surge to short out the phone company's lines and you will get a visit or a bill from them demanding you pay for the damage. Consequently, this is a critical step. Once you disconnect the wires, you are good to go, and can go back inside and connect one end of a phone cord to any jack in the house and the other into the modem. Once you have done that, as long as your jacks are connected to each other, you can plug in any and as many phones as you want to them. Your phone should now be operable. The jacks (transmission) work in both directions so, as long as you modem is connected to any jack in your house, all your jacks should now be “live”. If you need to have a phone connected to the same jack as your modem is connected to, just buy a splitter adapter -- they sell adapters that have 2, 3, 4 jacks. You connect the line to the adapter/splitter, and another cord to the adapter and to the wall, and yet another cord to your phone handset, and you are good to go.

Frequent Visitor

ClaraRM, This is the BEST explanation of what you need to do, and how to do it. Clear, concise, informative. Thank you!

I was told one thing by a tech, something completely different by store person, neither was this answer, and a third said not to even try it.

Just went outside with screwdriver, came back inside five minutes later, plugged telephone cable into wall and then adapter (I had one for printer/fax), and... corded phones now work! I'm ready for the next power outage.

Thank you!!

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation