Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

How to fix your Comcast Issues

Problem Solver

How to fix your Comcast Issues

I’ll try to keep this short and sweet. Looking at all these forum threads with problems with the Comcast Gateways (modem+ router), phone and TV service, you have the power to change. If you have Comcast triple play you get to:

1. Call Comcast support for an Internet problem.
2. Call Comcast support for a Phone problem.
3. Call Comcast support for a TV problem.

All of which come through one cable. Their cable and Internet run everything. This is what I have done over the last few months to break this cycle. First Comcast Internet for me has been great, had it for almost 3 years now with maybe 4 hours of down time total. I had their phone service too but that had issues even when the Internet was perfect. So this is what I have now.

Comcast Internet, DirecTV (for over 10+ years, never had Comcast TV) and Ooma phone service.

It’s easy now if one of these have an issue, just call that one company. In 10+ years I’ve had DirecTV and had my DVR box fail. I called and in 26 hours had a new one at my doorstep. Yes, 26 hours and I was up and running. DirecTV has been out maybe 6 hours in the 10 years I’ve had it, with a 99% signal uptime Comcast does not seem to match. Of course not all can get satellite TV due to their view of the southern sky so you may be stuck with cable TV.

Here is what I suggest. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Have Comcast Internet and Phone service:

1. Buy your own Arris TM822G ($175) Telephony modem to save $10/mo rental.
2. Get DirectTV.
3. Use your own high quality router.

Have Comcast Internet and drop Comcast phone:

1. Buy your own modem like the Zoom 5341J ($70) and save $10/mo rental and is easily good for the next 5 years or more for support.
2. Get Ooma Phone service for a onetime fee of about $100.
3. Get DirecTV.
4. Use your own high quality router.

Vonage phone service is too expensive at about $30/mo. Ooma is less than $4 per month and that is only taxes, fees and 911 services and besides Ooma has been rated the best Home Phone Service for the last 4 years. Have no idea what Comcast phone has been rated. I already posted a few weeks back how you can save $450/yr just on switching to Ooma phone service. With Ooma’s community call blocking with thousands of numbers already blocked, you have your own 256 set of blocked numbers you can control. Best of all if your Internet goes out or the Ooma box has an issue, all calls go to your cell phone so you don’t miss anything!

With DirecTV I call about once every 6 months and they always give me a deal to reduce my bill about 15-20% with no hassles.

I now spread the wealth to Comcast and DirecTV only (nothing for Ooma because it’s free!). If I have an issue, I only work with that one company, not one company for everything, who may have no clue on where the problem actually is. Yes you may lose your Double or Triple Play bundle discount, but in the long run you will be much happier and cheaper.

You should verify with your local Comcast office if you can buy your own Telephony modem and install it on Comcast’s cable system. Using your own router gives you the power to control your network and not have Comcast crippled firmware holding you back and there is no XFINITYWIFI hotspot broadcasting on your network.

Other ideas are welcome but this works for me.

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: How to fix your Comcast Issues

Good info and Ooma is great but as far as I know you can only have the calls transfered to cell during an outage if you have the premier service from Ooma an additional $9.99 a month.   Same with anonymous call blocking.  You get a limited set of options for the tax only basic service and if you want a full range you have to upgrade to premier service.

Or at least that was what they used to do.  Have they changed that?

Problem Solver

Re: How to fix your Comcast Issues

Yes but it still $30 a month cheaper.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation