Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

House Phone only works when connected to modem?

New Poster

House Phone only works when connected to modem?

This is strange.   We recently returned from vacation (during which we used the call forwarding function to route calls to our mobiles).   When we returned the only way to get the home phones working was to directly connect the phones to the cable modem.    

It worked fine before vacation but now is a problem.  Any ideas?   I'm not prepared to believe it's an issue with the internal lines yet.   

An amendment - it appears that open phone calls do not 'close' when making a call.   For example,   I can manually disconnect the phone line from the modem, wait a moment, and reconnect it.   Then I get a dial-tone.   But if I hang up the phone, there is no dial-tone when I pick it back up a few minutes later.  The only way to address the problem is by unplugging the line from the router.

Any ideas?

Cable Expert

Re: House Phone only works when connected to modem

First, I hope you are trying more than one phone in your testing, as it could be the phone.  If you have any doubt the phone is still good, having a spare cheapie wired phone helps with troubleshooting, as they can be found at big box stores for $6. 

Otherwise it sounds like inside wiring isssues with the phone wiring in your home, and because each home is wired differently, I can't give a one answer fits all solution.  It could be high resistance at one of the jacks, or at the juntion where all your lines to the jacks meet and are connected together.  All it takes is corrorsion on one splice or jack to cause some high resistance. 

It will take some troubleshooting.  You will need some knowledge on how your lines are run in the house, and where they are connected together.  Since the inside wiring is owned by the homeowner, then you can try it yourself, hire someone local, or Comcast can be called in for normally a flat rate to fix it.

And it cerainly, but is doubtful that it is the EMTA causing it.  Electronics do fail too.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Connection Expert

Sometimes strange stuff can be resolved by resetting the modem.  There is a small hole in the back of the modem that has a reset switch.  Use a ballpoint pen or paper clip to reach in to the hole and gently depress the switch until all of the lights go out exept for the Power light.  Release the seitch give it some time to come back up and see where you stand.

If you take a wired phone and connect it directly to the l1 jack on the back of the modem, can you make calls and then terminate themand get a dial tone?  If so look int the lines or your cordless phone system.

If not, the call comcast and schedule a tech to comeout and resolve the issue.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Did you get this problen resolved, as I have exactly the same situation as you described?  Supposedly Comcast is coming out for a service today.

New Poster

Good luck to all.  I have had this issue for almost three years since comcast installed my services.  The technician who installed it wasn't sure why it wasn't working so he hooked directly into modem.  I bought cordless phones and put the base by the modem. 

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation