Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Home Security System Communication Failure

New Poster

Home Security System Communication Failure

I have ADT Home Security system for 12 years. I recently upgraded my Comcast to triple play to include Voice. Since the install I am having a phone communication failure problem with my ADT Home Security system.

I kept the same phone number and just ported over to Comcast. Everything was working fine until i switched over to Comcast.

I called ADT who did ran some tests and indicated that the issue is the phone and to contact Comcast. I contacted Comcast and they indicated that the issue is with ADT.

It seems to me that the Comcast tech did not do the install correctly and did not connect the modem to the alarm.

Both ADT and Comcast are saying it is not their issue and that I would have to pay to have a tech come out to troubleshoot. I just want my security system to work like it did before I changed to Comcast voice.

Cable Expert

Re: Home Security System Communication Failure

This is a user to user forum, please contact Comcast to get a tech back out to rewire the RJ31X jack so the panel can communicate.  

1-800-266-2278

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

I am having same issue
New Poster

Check the routing of your phone line. It should be: Comcast cable from outside goes to your modem inside then phone line from modem goes to your alarm box WITHOUT ANY OTHER BRANCHES TO PHONES. (This allows your alarm to cut out any other phone use in an emergency while it is trying to call out during an alarm). Then phone line from alarm box can be wired to the rest of your house. Perhaps Comcast was not aware you had an alarm system during the install? If it is wired properly though, try tripping the alarm (call ADT to put your system in temporary test mode first). Let it scream and yell and whoop for 60 seconds , disarm the alarm and see if the communications error clears. I had both situations occur separately with my ADT system. This is a Comcast problem if it is the wiring. If you can trace all your wires this is a fairly simple fix you can do yourself if you are handy.

New Poster

I feel your pain. I did the same thing. There was no comcast technician to have done soemthing wrong, they sent me a new modem and I plugged my phone into it. Comcast tells me I should get a dial tone even though the alarm is just plugged into a telephone wall jack which doesn;t make any sense to me. Comcast has a user guide which it decsribes as outlining how to set it up, but it only says it may or may not be compatible. ADT says it's compatible with comcast. I'm just trying to figure out how I'm supposed to connect the modem to the alarm system.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation