Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

Hello, I have Cable and Internet service

Hello, I have Cable and Internet service

I just recently ordered comcast Digtial Voice yesterday, I was wonder... Has anyone had any problems with it? Will I get a new phone jack? Thanks. Smiley Happy

Message Edited by car on 02-28-2008 08:41 PM
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Hello, I have Cable and Internet service

I don't use CDV...but have relatives who do.  They've not had any issues.  Obviously with any large number of users, there are bound to be some with problems, though.
If your general cable signals are good, that's one important part.  Whether you "get a new phone jack" will depend on where your phone jacks and cable lines already are, and the ability of the installer to locate the eMTA near an existing phone jack and your cable line, since both your incoming phone line and cable need to be connected to the eMTA.

So no complaints? I've been reading this board and I'm seeing alot of complaints. eMTA? What is that?

Message Edited by car on 02-29-2008 08:04 PM
Bronze Problem Solver

As far as the "complaints" here, remember that this is a help forum...so the people who are happily using Comcast phone service without issues aren't flocking here to say how wonderfully everything works for them.
And "eMTA" stands for "embedded multimedia terminal adapter"...another term is "telephony modem".  It's the combination broadband modem and Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) device that allows Comcast to convert your phone calls for transmission over your broadband connection.  And as I mentioned, when you get the service installed, Comcast will bring one along to be connected to your phone wiring and cable connections to provide the CDV service.
Regular Contributor

Hi car.

I have been using CDV since late July of last year and the phone service is generally fine.  How much you like the service depends greatly on whom oyur phone service is with currently.  If you are with Verison or another POTS service, this will probably be an upgrade as far as features go.  However if you are now using Vonage or another VoIP service, then you will see a drop in features.  However the e911 service will be much more reliable.  At least that is my experience.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation