Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Fax trouble

Frequent Visitor

Fax trouble

I don't know if this is a Comcast issue, or what.  We have two lines, and one of them  is permanently connected to our fax machine.  We RECEIVE faxes OK and seem to be able to SEND LOCAL faxes OK, but always get a busy signal on long distance.  We've only tried this to one area code, but we tried several different numbers for that same business.  Voice calls to this business are OK (different numbers), but not their fax numbers.  They say they are not busy, so we are perplexed.  We haven't been able to confirm this problem with other long distance numbers to different area codes or businesses yet.  We switched to Comcast Voice two weeks ago.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Cable Expert

Re: Fax trouble

Plug a wired phone into the L2 jack on the eMTA and what happens when you dial the 11 digit fax number with the phone?  The fax machine on the other end should answer and start beeping.  Try that first and see if the call completes.

There are very few incompatible fax machines known not to work on CDV, but that doesn't guarantee that your machine won't work with the eMTA phone adapter.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

UPDATE:  I've eliminated my fax machine as the problem.  I did as you suggested and got a busy signal. I then called the same number with my cell phone (Verizon) and got the fax machine at the receiving number.  Next, I tried our Comcast primary phone line (not connected to the fax) and got a busy signal.

I also spoke to a Comcast technical "expert" who said he doesn't understand how this could be happening.

Is it possible that the receiving system (I understand it to be a computer fax system) doesn't recognize the Comcast incoming signal, or maybe the other way around, and the Comcast system doesn't recognize the answering signal (interprets it as "busy")?

I'm really baffled, but will call Comcast again and hopefully get it bumped up in their technical support heirarchy.

Cable Expert

I'lll notify the Comcast Corp escalation team to look into you issue.

Please watch this post and your email for updates from them on Tuesday.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Frequent Visitor

I called Comcast again, and the nice lady has written a ticket to get it bumped up.

FYI, I am in area code 575 and was trying to call area code 336.

Frequent Visitor

Got a call from a Comcast technician today.  He tried some sort of tweak, but it didn't help.  When he calls the fax number in question, he gets a "Cannot complete call as dialed" message.  He's stumped and has elevated the problem to the "national" level.

More as it develops...

Retired Administrator

This definitely sounds like a coding issue. We should look into this further. I've asked that our regional office investigate and circle back to you on this.

Just 'Dete'
Retired Help Forums Admin

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.

New Poster

Let me know how you make out I'm having the same problem.

Tags (1)
Gold Problem Solver

Tom,

The last post was quite a long time ago...The OP may not respond now..I would suggest that you start your own thread, going into detail of your issue.  Once you post, I will watch for it and will notify an Administrator of it too.

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Poster

Thanks I figured out my problem.  I had to run the phone line to the fax machine then another one from the printer to the comcast modem.

Gold Problem Solver

Glad you ffiguired it out, and thank you for posting what worked ffor you.  It might help out another User having the same problem.

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Frequent Visitor

I'm the OP.  I have not heard anything from Comcast in quite a long time and haven't checked to see if it is working, or not.  I will check it when I get time.  I'm going out of town today, so it will be next week sometime.  My problem is not like the previous poster.  The fax works with every other number we've tried.  I was told it was some sort of interface issue with another carrier.  I don't know if it's just the area code, the exchange, or ???

New Poster

In my case, I was not sure how it would work with comcast digital cable.  I thought I could hook the fax machine directly to the modem so I referred to the manual for the machine.  I had it set up wrong.  It was a simple fix...I plugged the machine to the modem and the phone to the machine.  Hope that helps.

New Poster

I tried your fix.  Plugged my fax machine into the modem and the phone into the fax/printer.  I lost dial tone to the phone that was plugged to the modem and nothing happened with the fax.  My machine is in the next room from the modem.  When the tech hooked up the phone modem, he put a triple plug in the phone jack on the modem and said all I had to do was plug the fax into the jack and it would work.  Didn't work.  Going to see if I can send digital faxes with my computer.

New Poster

There should be two spots on the printer/fax to plug a phone wire into one is the in line for the telephone and the other one is the outline which plugs into the modem.  Make sure you look closely to see which one is which.  Also the modem should have two spots to plug in phone wires...make sure you are plugging into the telephone one jack.  If that does not help you may have another problem.  Good luck.

New Poster

any help appreciated.  We can send faxes, but cannot receive them.  Any ideas of how to fix this?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation