Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

FCC law regarding porting

New Poster

FCC law regarding porting

The FCC dictates that any number can be ported as long as it stays in the same geographical area...

Yet, I am being told I cannot port my number to Comcast. AT&T has no issue with it. I spoke to them several times about it. I am NOT moving. Same house,same address, but I am told my number cannot be ported.
If AT&T is stopping it, they are breaking the law. If Comcast is refusing to do it, I'd like to understand why? If I can't get it ported, I guess my only solution is to flip everything to AT&T. I prefer not to, but I am going to follow the path of least resistance.
I am going to try again tomorrow, but I will have the big shopping bag full of the equipment I have and return it all if they can't remedy the situation.
Portability: Keeping Your Telephone Number When You Change Service Provider

Under the Federal Communications Commission’s “local number portability” (LNP) rules, so long as you remain in the same geographic area, you can switch telephone service providers, including interconnected Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) providers, and keep your existing phone number. If you are moving from one geographic area to another, however, you may not be able to take your number with you. Therefore, subscribers remaining in the same geographic area can switch from a wireless, wireline, or VoIP provider to any other wireless, wireline or VoIP provider and still keep their existing phone numbers.

Valued Contributor

Re: FCC law regarding porting

Yes you should be able to port your number over.

If it is AT&T- To port a number it has to still be active and in use ( in your case with AT&T) and no past due balance on your AT&T bill. If there is a past due balance AT&T can deny the port. 

If the problem is on Comcast side they are either having a glitch in their system where your address is being reported under the wrong franchise area so it looks like to them you are trying to port an out of area number or they had an order in place for you and the order got canceled and your number is in never never land in their system ( happened to me....They had to 'release' the number from their records even though they never really had it and then 're add it' ) .

I transfered to phone support even though my phone wasn't active with comcast yet and they were able to start the process to fix it...Try that.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation