Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Dropped Calls

Frequent Visitor

Dropped Calls

I have a DVM3203B modem in my basement which provides cable, internet and phone.  The cable and internet seem to be fine but my phone calls get dropped off and on for 10-20sec.  I tried a different model brand new cordless and moved the base to a different location with no better results.  In addition the link light on the modem is flashing ?? Is this normal all other lights are solid and lit.  It appears people are posting something from their modem for the techs on here to determine if its a modem issue, please advise how to do this, thanks.

Cable Expert

Re: Dropped Calls

From your browser go to http://192.168.100.1 and share the downstream power levels, downstream SNR and upstream power levels.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Downstream Bonded ChannelsChannel Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Frequency Power SNR Correctables Uncorrectables 1   QAM256   667750000 Hz 1.6 dBmV 38.5 dBmV 305 0 2   QAM256   649750000 Hz 1.7 dBmV 38.7 dBmV 145 0 3   QAM256   655750000 Hz 1.8 dBmV 38.6 dBmV 199 0 4   QAM256   661750000 Hz 1.6 dBmV 38.2 dBmV 239 0 5   Unknown   0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV 0 0 6   Unknown   0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV 0 0 7   Unknown   0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV 0 0 8   Unknown   0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV 0 0

Correctables Uncorrectables 343 0

Upstream Bonded ChannelsChannel Lock Status US Channel Type Channel ID Symbol Rate Frequency Power 1   ATDMA   5120 Ksym/sec 29500000 Hz 34.7 dBmV 2   Unknown   0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 3   Unknown   0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 4   Unknown   0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV

Status System uptime 0 days 01h:39m:50s Computers Detected: 1 CM Status: Operational WAN Isolation: OFF Time and Date: Fri Jul 08 20:14:17 2011

Cable Expert

There is nothing serious with the RF signals.  The upstream power is a little low than usually seen, but that might not be the issue, especially since you say the internet is not failing.

So we need to troubleshoot if the problem is interference between the cordless phone and wi-fi wireless internet in the home.

What are you using for a router and where is it located?

If you have your telephone inside wiring & outlets connected to the eMTA telephony modem, then please try it with a known good wired phone.  We need to make sure it's not the cordless phones even though you have tried two different units..

If it works with a corded phone, then the next step is to change the wi-fi channel in the wireless portion of the router.  That would be done from the admin page of the router, and change it from automatic to channel 1, 6 or 11 in the wireless or wi-fi page of the device.

Try those things to see if the issue can be isolated, and then we can try more ideas later.

The blinking link LED would be normal, as that is your internet traffic.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Hi, I am currently using the router that Comcast provided which is a netgear WNR1000 v2 which I might add does not do a very good job in my home sending the signal.  It is on the first floor, the modem as stated earlier is in the basement and the cordless bases have been in my kitchen which is a good 30 feet away and now I have been trying the base in my family room about 20-30 feet away.  Thoughts ??? Thanks.

Cable Expert

I've notified the Comcast Cares Team to do a health check on your eMTA telehony modem.  They can track and monitor if signal issues are causing your CDV issues.

Watch this post and your email for updates from the team during the business week.

Since your cordless phone and router are so far apart, and you have tried multiple cordless phones, then the wi-fi probably not the issue.

Comcast might need to send out a tech to troubleshoot it.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thanks I will look for their emails.   Have a good weekend.

Problem Solver

-

I've check the levels and they are within specs at this time. Are you still having an issue with drop calls?

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.

Frequent Visitor

I will have to let you know after the weekend which is when I really use the phone.  Question: I have noticed that sometimes when I dial out to get a dial tone I get a wurble beep, beep, beep and other times it comes on straight to a dial tone ? Is this normal.  Thanks.

Cable Expert

That is not normal, but it still sounds like the phone is the issue, so please try a known good wired phone connected to a phone jack in the home, or better the L1/L2 jack on the eMTA and give it a good test.

Otherwise the eTMA certainly could be failing and needing replacement by Comcast tech visit.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Re: Dropped Calls/Static on the line

I am still having serious problems with my phone.  I got a new wireless phone system and the calls are not dropping anymore but many 50% or more of the calls that come into my house have a ton of static, you can barely here the person.  Calls made out are perfectly fine.

This issue has been going on since we have lived here off and on and the past few weeks is bad again.

Resetting the modem seems to help for a few days but that is it.

What I dont have the technical knowledge of is why is the line clear when initiated by me and many times terrible when received by me ?? Is this a modem issue, a phone line issue ???

I would really appreciate an expert on this coming out to resolve at this point.

Thanks, 

Steve

Cable Expert

You must try to plug in a known good wired phone directly to the eMTA telephony modem's L1/L2 jack.  Eliminate the inside phone wiring and any cordless phones.

Give it a good test.  Most likely it is poor connection issues with the inside wiring in your home that any low voltage tech or Comcast phone tech can troubleshoot. 

Remember if it is an inside wiring issue, the inside phone wiring is owned by the homeowner just like your electrical & plumbing and Comcast will charge for issues with your own inside wiring.  If you know someone handy they might be able to help you also.

If you get the Comcast tech out, he probably should swap out the eMTA just to eliminate that it's the eMTA.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

I understand regarding the test.   However, I pay for the wiring protection that I was told covers the inside wiring also ???? Please advise.  I pay like 3.99/month for it.  Thanks.

Steve

Frequent Visitor

One more question.  I have an active green light on my modem for Tel 1 and Tel 2.  When I plug the phone line into Tel 2 I get no dial tone, nothing ??? Could this be part of the issue.  Why would I not be able to plug the line into Tel 2 and get a dial tone and in turn maybe help with my problem, thanks for listening.

Cable Expert

Tel 2 (L2) is for a second line, so if you have one line and phone number L2 doesn't do anything but supply battery voltage.

If you have 2 lines and 2 numbers from Comcast then there will be dial tone on both the L1 and L2 jacks, one for each number.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation