Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Do I need a special modem for phone service?

New Poster

Do I need a special modem for phone service?

So I got suckerered into a Triple Play because apparently it was my best deal (cheaper than paying for cable and internet separately because my current promo's are expiring).

Now Comcast is telling me I have to get a modem because phone is part of the Triple Play package.  I repeatedly told them I already have my OWN modem that I use for Internet service.

Now I have to get this new modem set up that is supposed to handle Internet AND phone, I am getting charged $30 for installation, and will be charged $7/month to use the darn thing.

Does anyone know if I can use my current modem for phone too????  How does this all work?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Do I need a special modem for phone service?

Hello,

What you need is a etma modem which is for the phone and internet service.

New Poster

Thanks for the info.  So basically, if I am using an older modem just for Internet, I DO in fact have to get a new one in order to do the Triple Play promo?

Silver Problem Solver

Hello,

I don't know if your modem is old because you never told us what type of modem you have. If it is not a etma modem that support the telephone then yes.

New Poster

I don't even know what kind of modem it is.  I've had it for about 4 years.  The Comcast website says I use a Motorola Corporation sb5120.

New Poster

Also - forgot to mention - I don't plan to use the phone.  Just the cable and internet.  So i was trying to get out of even having to get the modem installed, but because phone is part of Triple Play, they said that i must have the phone modem.

Frequent Visitor

If you're good with what you have, I dont think it necessary.I have had a ton of associates tell me everything different.It took almost 8 mos. to get stuff straight.Dont get jerked.sounds like someone gave you a load of bologna.Go to your LOCAL center and talk to the manager, minions cant help you.Trust me, i dont really use the online service for resolution/payment or over the phone.TOOO many problems repeatedly.

Official Employee

Nyy like reasd said you need to upgrade to an Emta for phone service
New Poster

I would like to buy my own modem. I need one with a phone port. Where can I get nor?
New Poster

Comcast ..... Triple Play?

You know, that sounds familiar.  In baseball, if you hit into a triple play, your team is out and the other team gets to bat.

The other team is Comcast.   I wonder if Comcast thought if anyone would catch on?

Regular Contributor

Isadra wrote:
I would like to buy my own modem. I need one with a phone port. Where can I get nor?

Best buy. Contact your local service center. in some markets your not allowed to purchase your own modem.