Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

Data Service Error & Smartzone Voice Tab Dead

Regular Visitor

Data Service Error & Smartzone Voice Tab Dead

Hello.  I have had Comcast Voice since September.  I was given a Thomson ACG905 router for my Internet and Phone service.

For a short time I used the Thomson DECT 6.0 phone that came with the package, but I didn't like the voice mail service or the ring tones, so I switched back to using my regular V-Tech phone / answering machine. 

Within the past week, I found that I apparently had "1 Message Waiting" displaying on my phone and had no idea what to do about it.  Then I remembered that I had previously set up my voice mail and perhaps I had a message waiting on there.  I hooked the Thomson DECT 6.0 phone up again and allowed it some time to get a small charge in the battery.

Upon trying to access things using the Thomson phone, I found that I got a "Data Service Error".  So I took out the HomePoint User Guide and followed the instructions.  I first tried using "Retry" several times to no avail.  I then followed the instructions regarding resetting the ACG and unplugging the AC Adapter and so forth at least four times and had no luck there either.  I just kept getting the "Data Service Error".

From there, I tried going on the Comcast website to look for help and found none at all concerning the "Data Service Error".  I tried using the "SmartZone" page and figured I could check voice mail messages from there.  Well, I found the page, but the Voice tab neither gave me a menu, nor did it show any more than a picture of what the service looks like and a link to more information.

I then made an attempt to access my voice mail over the phone, but it asked for a password and I had no clue what it was anymore.  I tried finding out how to reset my password and everything pointed to using "SmartZone" which wasn't even working.

I hope someone here can help me as my only two options left are to phone Comcast or get help from here.  I would guess that my voice mail needs to be reactivated again or something similar.

Regular Visitor

Re: Data Service Error & Smartzone Voice Tab D

I hope someone replies.  The holiday weekend is over now.

Gold Problem Solver

I would suggest calling 1-800 comcast and see what they tell you.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Regular Visitor

I too had this same error trying to access my voicemail using SmartZone. I could log into SmartZone, but if I click on the Voice tab, it gave a promotional page stating to learn more about Digital Voice. My digital voice account was not accessible, even though I continuously got emails stating I have received another voicemail.

CSR's at 1-800-Comcast will not be able to help you. I've called numerous times about this issue. 7 tickets had been opened, and 7 tickets were closed with no resolution. They will follow their written procedure asking you to give up your rights to their Privacy Policy, and ask permission to login in to your account and duplicate the issue. If you refuse to give up this right, they will not help you as their procedure tells them to do so. They state the Visual Voicemail of the Digital Voice is a free feature, so they are not obligated to fix it.

After a couple of weeks and numerous calls, I sent an email explaining the situation to their Contact Us link on the Customer Satisfaction Guarantee page. I got my first call back the very next day from an actual tech rep who said he finally looked at my account, and saw the error on their end. He fixed it immediately.

Don't bother with 1-800-Comcast for this issue as they will follow their prompt sheet and not know how to fix this and will continuously state they must log into your account to duplicate it or they can't help you. If you're okay with giving up your rights, then give them a call.

Regular Visitor

I called Comcast and received a ticket number after explaining the problem with the Voice Tab.

Two or three calls back to me and a number of days later and the problem is now fixed. 

I don't recall having heard anything concerning giving up rights during any of phone calls I had with Comcast representatives.  All I know is that the tab now works.

As for the Data Service Error, that's different.

When I originally signed up for Digital Voice, I was sent a brand new modem from Thomson and a phone to go with it.  It was a new promotional idea that has since fallen apart.  Apparently lots of customers were unsatisfied with the Thomson phone and its features, so the idea was abandoned.

I was told by a representative from Comcast that if I wanted to get help with the error, I would need to contact Thomson directly as Comcast is no longer promoting them.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation