Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

Connecting another phone in basement

Connecting another phone in basement

I've tried - unsuccessfully connecting a phone in the basement, with no luck. All the other phones  in the house work fine. Every time I try to connect a phone in the jacks in the basement, I get nothing. Well, I get something that doesn't work! Can't make calls, static, etc.
The main modem line ( eMTA?) is hooked up to the same jack in the basement. You would think another phone line would work seeing that there are 2 extra phone jack openings. Not a huge deal really, just that I would like to have a working phone in the basement.
Otherwise, the CDV is lovely, and working fine (except for the tiny outage we had a few days ago...)
Any advice? Thanks!

Problem Solver

Re: Connecting another phone in basement

Have you removed the plate covering the hole in the wall and checked that the wires are hooked up to the other jacks in it?
Most Valued Poster

You can also pick up one of the Radio Shack phone line testers for about three bucks.  It will show you which line is connected, if any, and whether the wires are connected properly.

Thanks kentshaw, I forgot that I asked this on the forum. The phone lines and jacks in the basement are set up like a carnival, in one spot, there are two separate jacks installed, only one works. So I found a line coupler, and I was finally able to hook up another line in the basement! I was afraid of line quality reduction, but so far, it's all good, no loss of quality.  I'm so happy with CDV, it's been awesome so far. I don't regret 1 minute of switching.
Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation