Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Comcast sold me out to telemarketers.

Frequent Visitor

Comcast sold me out to telemarketers.

Today's Friday. This past Monday afternoon, I got my internet and telephone service with Comcast turned on. That makes today the fourth full day of Comcast service I've had, and I'm already getting 10 to 12 telemarketer calls a day.

You would think it would be random - i.e., that telemarkerters just robo-call numbers and hope someone answers to hear their pitch.

These **bleep**s obviously know my new phone number, but they also know my full name (Hello, Mr. X! Have we got an offer for you!), and my street address (Can we send a representative to meet with you at XXXX??)

I can't believe Comcast sold me out, and didn't even wait a full week to do it. **bleep**, if they had waited a month, they could have denied it outright.

How do I get rid of these calls? Does anyone know a way to filter them from the control panel? I've already registered at the do not call registry, but that takes like a month to work and I'm getting a dozen calls a day.

Expert

Re: Comcast sold me out to telemarketers.

Unless you asked for an unpublished phone number, you're in the telephone directory. That's how telemarketers get your name and number. It's a public database, Comcast doesn't have to sell them anything.
Frequent Visitor

Well, the new phone book didn't come out today. Even if it did, I didn't get the phone turned on in time to make it to the printing press.

An internet White Pages search doesn't come up with any listing for my name.

A Google search of my exact phone number has no results.

Pray tell - which telephone directory is it you speak of?

Expert

The directory used when you call 411 Directory Assistance, or to display your name on a caller-ID box. I'm guessing telemarketers are more diligent at getting the latest data than the online White Pages sites. And phone books only come out once a year, so of course they won't be up to date.

My point is that unless you specifically ask not to be listed, your name and phone number are public information. Why assume some nasty conspiracy when business as usual would explain it.

Frequent Visitor

Well, it would seem to me that business as usual is conspiratorial in nature.

My local area doesn't have 411 directory assist, so whatever 411 service that's available is provided solely by Comcast, solely to Comcast Digital Voice subscribers.

My point is, if Comcast doesn't send out a daily mailing to  their favorite telemarketing companies every day with a listof recently activated numbers (that would be my first guess), there's no way that telemarketers would be able to get my number so quickly - and know my name and address along with it.

Comcast doesn't have to let outside people search its phone directories.

Is there some sort of feature I missed that allows a subscriber to search a Comcast phone directory of sorts and look for names & numbers in the area?

If not, then my original statement still stands - Comcast sold me out to telemarketers. Whether they give the info away, or at the very least, look the other way while these outside companies gather it, the end result is the same.

Problem Solver

N.M.
Message Edited by slouke on 02-01-2010 11:30 AM
Expert

Of course Comcast has to allow outside companies to search their phone directory. How do you think directory assistance works? How do you think the companies that print phone books get all the information? How do you think white pages web sites work?

I don't know the specific mechanisms involved, but all phone companies make their directory information available. Directory publishers subscribe to this information, and obviously so do telemarketers.

Frequent Visitor

They don't have to let people search the info. Directory Assistance is a service, not a government. I doubt there's any laws in place that say people's phone numbers, names, and addresses have to be available to the public - if there were, there'd be no such thing as unlisted numbers.

But OK - whatever.

36 hours into my new Comcast phone line, and I had people calling me out of the blue who practically knew my  life story.

There's only one possible culprit. People here can make of it what they will.

Over & out.

Expert

No, they don't have to, it's just the way phone companies have always worked. Your phone number is published UNLESS you specifically request an unpublished number, which typically costs extra. If you didn't ask for an unlisted number, I don't see why you're so surprised that you're listed.

Maybe you're just surprised at how quickly they got the information. That's just modern technology for you, I suspect. In the old days, phone companies probably had to submit the information on tapes, and only did it on a slow schedule, perhaps weekly or monthly. Now it's probably all done online, and updates propagate either instantaneously, or maybe daily. Like I said, I don't know the actual mechanism, but the Internet has almost certainly made it easier for all parties involved to get quick updates.

Expert

Just for completeness, I've asked a Comcast moderator to review this thread and let me know if I'm off base.
Expert

I mentioned this in another thread, but this was my experience and not with Comcast, but with AT&T.

Years ago we had a landline phone with AT&T, but fell on some financial hard times, so we canceled the service.  As it would turn out, we also had a bill that ended up in collections during the time the phone service was off.  We decided we needed a landline again when times got better, mostly because our cell service was lousy in our house and we needed a clear line.  Right after the phone was turned on [within a day or two] - in my wife's name only - I got a call from the collection agency that had previously been sending us snail mail.  When I answered the phone, they called me by name - my formal name and not the name I go by - and I was surprised.  I asked how they got the number and associated it with MY name, and they replied "we're good".  Yeah, they were.  Unfortunately for them, not good enough because the bill in question had already been taken care of.

So, there are numerous ways that someone could get your phone number that was associated with your name.

If you think that Comcast sold your number to telemarketers, call them and ask for a new unpublished, unlisted number at their expense.  Be reasonable, and be calm, and they should accommodate you.  Be prepared, however, to incur extra charges for the unpublished, unlisted number.   And remember to register your number, listed or not, with Do Not Call.

Bronze Problem Solver

We do not sell or share any personal information.
George Lunski
"Retired" Comcast Help Forums Administrator

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Expert

Trolling post removed. 2 year old thread locked.