Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Comcast lying about digital phone switch

ANSWERED
New Poster

Comcast lying about digital phone switch

I am so frustrated with Comcast phone.  It's been two months since I asked them to switch my land line to my digital phone line and it's still not complete.  I've signed documents for them to switch it and they can't seem to find them in their computer.  I've had service technicians not show up after I confirmed an appointment.  I have been told three times that my phone number would be ported over in 48 to 72 hours.   I finally had a service technician out to the house on Labor Day and he supposedly switched out the number and even "proved" to me that my land line number was now my digital phone number and the number had been ported.  Two weeks later I started having problems with my phone and I find out Verizon is still my carrier and when I called Comcast they have no record that I ever asked for the switch.  I've asked for a supervisor to call me back, but still haven't heard from one.  I'm still wondering what the technician did at my house if he wasn't fixing the phone.  Now I'm told it will be another seven to nine days until they can port the number.  I have no way of knowing when and  or if they actually have it complete the process, because they've lied to me so many times.  How do you figure out who your carrier is?

Accepted Solution

Re: Comcast lying about digital phone switch

Hi, yes I did receive the equipment - internet is working beautifully. Just waiting for phone # to port on the 7th as you stated. Thanks for your help.

View answer in context
Service Expert

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/portability-keeping-your-phone-number-when-changing-service-providers

The Porting Period

The FCC has changed its number porting rules to shorten the porting period for “simple” ports from the current four days to one business day. The new deadline applies to all simple ports, including “intermodal” ports such as wireline to wireless, wireless to wireline, wireline or wireless to VoIP or any other combination. Simple ports generally do not involve more than one line or more complex adjustments to telephone switching equipment. Wireline, wireless and interconnected Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) providers are required to meet this new, simple port deadline, which will take effect in late summer 2010 for most carriers. Small, rural carriers have a longer period, until the beginning of 2011, to meet the new porting deadline.

If you call Comcast about this, read this rule to the person you talk to. Let that person know that if it isn't ported over in one business day, Comcast and Verizon are in violation of the FCC rule.

What I will do is escalate your issue to the forum administrator. Please check back here for his reply. He may need more information from you.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Valued Contributor

I've escalated this to the fix agent

Steve

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

That's very interesting to know because just the other morning I called Comcast to port my number over from Verizon and the rep quoted me the four day rule. I wish I had known it should be one day because that would have made things a lot easier and quicker. I live in an MDU that provides basic bulk service so I have to make all my orders through the bulk department. Now it's the weekend but maybe I can try to reach someone in the bulk department tomorrow.

Regular Contributor

Well I called the bulk department back today about the matter and they said that while they are aware of the one day law, it still takes 4 - 7 days to port a number over from Verizon (no explanation given as to why). However the good news was that they said my order has been processed and the modem has been mailed out to me (I am doing a self-install). They said that by the time the equipment reaches me my number should be ported or ready for porting. I am hoping everything goes smoothly and I do not get stuck in some kind of Verizon-Comcast limbo as others have described. They provided me with an order number but did not have a tracking number (for the modem) as yet. We'll see how it goes. But apparently here in Philadelphia, Comcast's main headquarters, they are not adhering to the one day porting rule. Although, to be fair, maybe the problem is with Verizon and not Comcast.

Problem Solver

-

Sorry about the issues that you have been experiencing with porting over your telephone number. It looks as if Steve escalated your issue and it shows as resolved. Can you please confirm with me.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon

Thanks
-Keisha-
Problem Solver

--

Sorry about the issues you are having as well.

I do show an order processed on your account to port over your phone number on 10/7/2011. I have sent you a private message containing your UPS tracking number for your Comcast equipment.  

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Thanks
-Keisha-
Regular Contributor

Hi, yes I did receive the equipment - internet is working beautifully. Just waiting for phone # to port on the 7th as you stated. Thanks for your help.

New Poster

Yes.  The problem is fixed.  Thank you so much.

Problem Solver

---

Glad to hear that you received your equipment and it's working well.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Thanks
-Keisha-
Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation