Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

Comcast Digital Voice FAQ (2006)

Regular Contributor

Comcast Digital Voice FAQ (2006)

Q: What is Comcast Digital Voice service?
A: Comcast Digital Voice uses Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) technology to provide nationwide calling over our advanced broadband network. This technologically advanced home phone service enables you to enjoy a number of enhanced new features without sacrificing any of the features, call clarify, or reliability to which you are accustomed.

Q: What is Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP)?
A: Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) is a technology used to transmit phone conversations over a data network. Most Voice over IP service providers use the public Internet to transmit your calls. Comcast does not, we use this technology to transmit your calls over our advanced broadband network, your calls never hits the public Internet.

Q: How is Comcast Digital Voice service different from the traditional phone service I have today?
A: Comcast Digital Voice uses our advanced broadband network to provide you with a number of enhanced new features without sacrificing any of your current phone features or the call quality you expect - and with a great opportunity to save! You can even keep your same phone number.
With Comcast Digital Voice service you get all of these benefits and more:

Enhanced Voice Mail - Enhanced Voice Mail allows you to manage your Comcast Digital Voice voicemail messages by phone, or on the Web from anywhere.
Popular calling features - Enjoy 12 popular calling features like Call Waiting, Caller ID and Call Blocking - all included in your low monthly price.
One simple bill - Enjoy one simple bill for Comcast's Cable TV, Digital Voice and High-Speed Internet services, with multiple payment options. Plus, you can view your long distance call detail online.
Unlimited local and long-distance calling - With the Comcast Digital Voice Unlimited Plan, you can call anyone, anytime, anywhere in the United States and Canada - talk as long as you like, all for one low price.
Low international rates - Comcast Digital Voice offers low rates to your favorite international calling destinations.
Professional installation - Leave the wiring to us. We come in and do the whole standard installation for you. And once it's set up, you're ready to go!
Satisfaction guaranteed - We are so confident about the quality of our Comcast Digital Voice service that we guarantee you will be satisfied, or we'll refund your money for the first 30 days of service.

Q: How is Comcast Digital Voice different from Vonage or AT&T CallVantage?
A: Comcast has several years of experience providing home phone service to over 1 million customers, and we have used that experience to build our new, Comcast Digital Voice service. We offer:

Whole-house wiring - so that you can use existing phone jacks in your single family home (many other VoIP service providers only allow you to use a single phone);

Professional installation and on-site support for your service (many other VoIP service providers will only ship equipment to you and provide remote support);

Directory listings - Including operator services and directory assistance for a nominal fee; and

E911 service - Comcast Digital Voice's E911 service provides emergency service operators with both your phone number and location (many other VoIP service providers only give emergency services your phone number).

Q: Can I use other Comcast services (watch cable television , surf the Internet) while using Comcast Digital Voice service?
A: Comcast Digital Voice service does not interfere with your cable television viewing or Internet surfing. In fact, thanks to the power of broadband technology, Comcast offers a whole family of products provisioned over the same coaxial cable, such as cable television, phone and high-speed Internet services.

Q: What if my electricity goes out? Will I still be able to use my Comcast Digital Voice service?
A: The Multimedia Terminal Adapter (MTA) we supply with Comcast Digital Voice service contains a backup battery that is designed to power the MTA for up to eight hours of continuous service. The actual length of battery backup time will depend on the amount of time you use the phone to place outgoing calls during a power outage. However, if the cause of the power failure is a network outage caused by downed cables/wires or other causes affecting our network, the service will not function until we restore the network.

Q: Do I need to cancel my current local service?
A: If you elect to have Comcast Digital Voice replace your current home phone service, Comcast will do all the work to ensure that your service is seamlessly transitioned from your current service provider. Your current service provider will be notified of your decision to switch to Comcast when we contact them to port your telephone number. Your current local phone service will be cancelled when your Comcast Digital Voice service is installed. Please do not contact your current local phone service provider to cancel your service, as this may result in an interruption of your service.
When you order Comcast Digital Voice service, if you decide that you want a new telephone number, then you will need to contact your current phone service provider to cancel your service. To avoid any service interruptions, please wait until after your Comcast service is installed to cancel your existing local phone service.

Q: Do I need to contact my current local toll and long distance service provider to cancel service?
A: If you wish to subscribe to Comcast Digital Voice, you are required to select Comcast for local toll, and long distance services on all lines that you wish to switch to Comcast Digital Voice. You must cancel, or authorize us to cancel, your existing local toll and long distance service on those lines. We provide an integrated service offering that allows you to make calls across town or across the county.

Q: If my cable goes out, will my phone go out too?
A: Comcast uses the power of broadband to deliver voice, cable television and high-speed Internet services to our customers over a single coaxial cable. To ensure reliability, these services function independently of each other. If, however, a storm or an accident knocks out our network, then multiple services may be affected.

Q: Do I have to keep my Comcast High-Speed Internet cable modem turned on for my Comcast Digital Voice service to work?
A: A device called a Multimedia Terminal Adapter (MTA) was installed to support your Comcast Digital Voice service. You must leave this device turned on at all times for your home phone service to work. This device is designed to support both Comcast Digital Voice and Comcast High-Speed Internet services. However, based on the individual needs of your home the installation technician may be required to leave both the cable modem and the MTA in your home. In which case, you may turn off the cable modem, but the MTA must be left on at all times.

Q: Do I need a computer to use this service?
A: A computer is not required with Comcast Digital Voice service. With Comcast Digital Voice, calls are made and received through a normal phone set like a touch-tone or cordless phone. Comcast Digital Voice is not a PC-to-Phone or PC-to-PC service. However, you can use a computer with Internet access to take advantage of some of our enhanced features including online account summary, up-to-the-minute call detail online and where available, Web Access to Voice Mail.

Q: Is the sound quality clear on Comcast Digital Voice service?
A: Our digital communications network transmits a "clean" signal with less noise and distortion than many analog networks. Noise is essentially screened out of the signal.

Q: May I select my own area code?
A: Not at this time. Area code selection is not a feature of Comcast Digital Voice service. You will need to select a phone number from the valid area code in your service location.

Message Edited by GeoffG on 08-17-2006 12:41 PM

Message Edited by ComcastGeorge on 02-15-2010 01:58 PM
Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 1 in conversation