Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

Check on porting before getting Voice

Regular Contributor

Check on porting before getting Voice

After 3 weeks trying to rent a telephony modem from Comcast to complete their triple play offer, I went to the Xfinity store and picked one up.  They rep said my current ooma voip number was being ported to Xfinity.  At home I installed the modem and got it provisioned in one call.  Got a "temporary" number that worked ok.  

A week later the ooma number was still not ported.  After talking to three people at Comcast they all said my number could not be ported because the ooma number was registered in a different area (which I new when I picked the closest number off the ooma website.  The ooma number and the Xfinity number are both the same area code; 678, which is a huge area covering dozens of small towns around Atlanta.  I had registered my address with ooma incase I need to call 911.  I've had ooma for 3 years and lived at the same address longer.

Any way, if you are thinking of getting Voice and want to keep your number, better check with this special Comcast number first: 877-397-9735.

Tags (1)
Regular Visitor

Re: Check on porting before getting Voice

I had the exact same issue -- TWICE!  Our neighbor across the street had Comcast voice for 3 years so we knew it had to be possible.  Comcast CAN port your number IF you actually get someone on the phone who actually knows what they talking about.  Over the course of approx 18 months, it took 3 separate attempts, at least 12 different customer service agents,  3 technicians, 2 weeks with a phone number in limbo, blame placed on existing provider (Windstream - not!) and a LOT of aggrevation, but we were eventually able to take advantage of the Triple Play.   We haven't had any issues since.  I'm sorry I didn't write down the name of the person who eventually resolved the issue or I would have given it to you.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation