Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Charges for long distance?

Contributor

Charges for long distance?

Ok not sure how this phone service works, but got charged for 35 cents for 2 calls that it says were long distance. Sure it's not much. But how are calls originating from 20 miles away and 35 miles away considered long distance? 5 cents a minute for this. I don't get why I am paying for this. I'm pretty sure it was calls received from the #'s that are that far away.

Absolutely ridiculous. Keep wondering why I don't just drop the phone. Most only calls I get aren't for me(they are for former owners of our # and from telemarketers)

Regular Contributor

Re: Charges for long distance?

I can't tell you 100% this is the reason, but I suspect it's due to the way the Local Transport and Access Area  (LATA). Where I live, calling a handful of cities in the same area code as my own number is considered long distance, just like if I placed a call to New York City from Miami. It seems strange, but it's the way the phone system was designed. 

LATA is your local calling area.

Therefore intraLATA means the same thing - your local calling area (inside a particular LATA). A LATA can cover an entire state so all the state will be considered intraLATA, and all calls within that state will be considered local calls (usually for small states). Most states have several LATAs.

InterLATA refers to calls between 2 LATAs. These can be 2 LATAs located in the same state, or 2 LATAs located in 2 different states. Therefore long distance calls.

Interstate calls are calls between two states. These calls can also be considered interLATA because they are calls between 2 LATAs.

Intrastate calls are calls within the same state. This term is rather confusing because calls within the same state can be either interLATA or intraLATA.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation