Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Change Caller ID on 1 of 2 phones

Regular Visitor

Change Caller ID on 1 of 2 phones

We recently switched both our Verizon land lines to Comcast Digital Voice, and are very pleased with the service thus far.  One of the lines is my wife's, and she has a different last name than mine.  Currently both our new lines broadcast my name for caller id, I presume because the account and billing is in my name, and I was wondering if her line could be modified to broadcast her name?  A very helpful phone rep thought she accomplished this 4 days ago, but my wife's phone is still broadcasting my name.  My understanding is that one alternative is that I put everything in her name, with both lines broadcasting her name, and I'm okay with that, but there must be an easier way where each line can broadcast the caller id of the principal user. 
Regular Contributor

Re: Change Caller ID on 1 of 2 phones

The CNAM (Callers Name and Number) on your Caller ID must reflect the responsible party’s name; however, there are some variations that are allowed:

1st name, last name (John Smith).

1st initial, last name (J. Smith).

1st initial, middle initial, last name (J.Q. Smith).

If you have a second line, the same format still applies, but you could substitute your spouse’s first name. The last name will still need to match the name on the account. Also, business names are not allowed, and names can be a maximum of fourteen characters long.

If you want a different name to appear on your Caller ID then you will need to change the name of the responsible party on the account. This is done by going to your local payment center and requesting a "Change of Financial Responsibility" form. Make sure that both you and the other person bring proper identification with you. I hope this answers your question.

Thanks for posting!

Jim

Regular Visitor

Thanks for your help Jim.  I have to say though that with the number of spouses with different last names in this day and age, forcing me to change the name of the responsible party on the account is somewhat surprising.  For example, American Express gives my wife a card in her name even though I'm the responsible party with a different last name.  This policy forces single households with morethan one phone line to open multiple Comcast accounts if they want their own name to be broadcast on caller id, and that doesn't make sense to me.  Perhaps it generates additional revenue for Comcast, but the duplication is a waste of resources, particularly if both get paper bills sent to the same address.  I hope this doesn't mean changes to the internet, e-mail and digital voice center preferences I've established.  Maybe I'll send a letter to senior management to suggest they adopt the AMEX model.  Thanks again. 
New Poster

I found out about this the hard way. I had the old comcast digital phone service and had 3 lines - 1 for personal, 1 for my home-based business, and 1 for fax. I had my own name (with just first initial + last name) for CID on the personal line and my business name for CID on the 2nd line. I was happy.

I called 2 weeks ago to try to change a feature on my package and was told that they weren't allowing changes because their digital phone service was going away and I'd have to switch to CDV. (I know this is a side issue, but I was told it would be dropped "sometime in November" and "you should have received notice" and I panicked because I hadn't received notice and had to assume worst case of November 1st. I'm in IL - 630 area code - does anyone know if this is even true?).

I was told I could only get 2 lines thru CDV. So just this week I switched 1 to AT&T (my fax line) and the other 2 to CDV. Last week *before the install* I called to make sure the CID was going to be set up properly. The rep I spoke with took the information and said he set it up the way I wanted. Well, I got the service yesterday and noticed that both lines were incorrect so I called back.

Now I'm told that the name on both lines have to exactly match the name on the account. Then, when they heard that one of the names I wanted was for a business, they forwarded me to the commercial accounts department. There I was told that they couldn't help me because they can't port a number *within their own company* from residential to business.

So what do I do now? There is obviously no legal reason that the CID name has to match the account, because other companies and their own digital phone service allowed it to be different. I can't switch the account to be a business account because of their own restrictions. Plus, switching from digital phone to CDV was treated as a third-party transfer as if it were completely different companies. So do I now also have a problem switching to another carrier for the next 30 or 60 days? Someone told me there was some kind of lock down period.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation