Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Cannot receive incoming calls

New Poster

Cannot receive incoming calls

Ported phone to comcast voice land line,as of today I  can dial out but cannot receive calls. Caller recieves recorded message stating that I am not accepting calls and to try again later.  That later has persisted for 2 WEEKS,  Spent a total of over 16+ hours with various agents and managers  to resolve.   -   problem is not solved.   Any suggestions beside telling them to cram it and seek another provider.

New Poster

Re: Cannot receive incoming calls

Mollie41

I've had this issue for almost 18 months!  It takes forever to get a tech as you sit on the customer service line for hours.  I refused to pay my bill one time until this was resolved.  I had a tech out the following week.  The line was fixed...I paid the bill.  But the fix only lasted a couple of days.  Still have not gone back to them on this. 

New Poster

I had this same problem the last few days, plus the incoming call was not displaying on my TV screen.  I checked this website for problems and answers.  Easy fix.  All I did was push the reset button (with an ink pen point) on the back of my cable modem (not the TV set top box).  After rebooting (about 5 minutes), everything worked fine.

Hope this helps your problem.

Frequent Visitor

I cannot received incoming calls. Just goes to answering machine. I can call out fine, just can't receive.

Frequent Visitor

I will give the reset button a try and see what happens.

Frequent Visitor

I hit the reset button, rebooted the modem, but no results. Still cannot get incoming calls.

Frequent Visitor

Perhaps the reboot did help after all. After a while it started  working. 1st call from, you guessed it, a stupid telemarketer.

New Poster

I cannot receive incoming calls but can call out.  Won't even ring.

New Poster

We have had the same problem.... it just rings and rings.  We have called our line from our cell, here it ringing on the cell, pick up the Comcast line and get a dial tone.  We have been on the phone with customer service and tech service for weeks. Where is this great support network that was promised?

Yes, we've rebooted, change phones, reset, etc..... to no avail.

Thoroughly disgusted with Comcast at this point.

Frequent Visitor

All has been taken care of. Phone works well. Only problem now is that when I call someone they show they are getting a call from " TEXAS" not from me and they don't answer thinking its another telemarketer.  Comcast has been working on this for several days now.

Don Pollock

1/25/2014 10:55 am

New Poster

Re:  ”Comcast modem phone won’t ring” 

Comcast new replacement modems have less than 5 REN, inadequate for many phones to ring

Re:  ”Comcast modem phone won’t ring” 

The problem is at least some of Comcast latest modems have inadequate REN (Ringer Equivalent Number). FCC requires supplier to supply 5 or more REN and devices, ie "handsets & telephones" to require 1 or less REN. Initially Comcast was confused, reading the device (telephone) needing LESS than 1 REN as the supplier needing to supply no more than one REN- makes no sense!, but this misunderstanding keeps coming up, obviously in their manuals. The techs admit, or claim to have heard mention of "REN" in passing in training, and typically then rapidly progress to feeling they are expert. So far not one has any better understanding than, after reminding them, that it has to do with ringing the phones. In the 50's, some phones were requiring excess power. Of course, you can hold phone wires w/out problem or shock. BUT, if you happen to be holding them when a ring comes in, you will feel an unpleasant shock at approx 70 volts up from imperceptible. FCC required phones requiring </=1 REN and the phone company to supply each customer 5REN or more so each household could have up to 5 phones and all to ring. Less than required REN causes either no ring, but Comcast TV display & other nonRing functions work, or occasionally what the manuals refer to as a 1/2 ring, sometimes so brief it cannot be heard over daytime background noise. TEch support, service may give lip service to testing their recent modems for REN output, but so far not one tech has been able to do even after prolonged time calling their supervisors.  After I get out my REN meter (BK Precision Telephone Line Analyzer Model 1042) and show them Ring power is below adequate to ring a phone (regardless that electronic phones require less current, they still require a threshold of milliAmps/current with voltage maintained at Ring boosted signaling threshold voltage, 60-70V).

Regardless that I show them the literature, plenty on the internet re: REN or Ringer Equivalents, and/or Number, or manuals, or explain my phones including my wooden antique we rebuilt to <1REN or likewise my phone booth phone, or that we have a 10 extension 4 line cordless AT&T modern phone system & therefore have far fewer phones than even & NEVER had inadequate REN before (with 3 or 4 times as many phones).

All the techs insist my phones/equipment/system is the problem, increasingly as we prove otherwise, and ignore our using our test loop and service panel installed test phone plugged into the test loop port (required unplugging the entire house system) and the only bad wiring they did going first to ATT&’s equipment/box instead of directly to my test loop port disconnecting the house.  Only 1 tech, vaguely realizing the problem, told me that no only would I have to buy the batteries to supply Comcast modem that they charge me for & do not allow me to install my own, which I just did for the one that worked that they removed and will not return & insisted on installing this one, but he told me I would have to buy a REN booster for a couple hundred dollars (and it is only 1 REN boost).

FCC and common sense reading of its regulations, minimal REN is still needed, as is proper tech training and Comcast manuals & test equipment if they are going to compete for & service phone customers.  I expect to get somewhere next week with them and suggest that knowledge of this problem is key to resolution.  Shocking their engineers have been so uninformed, but the industry seems to be in its Wild West era, despite the cable and cellphone companies’ abuses of decades.

Of course in addition to disconnecting our wiring at the test loop to measure the REN, we also checked at the modem itself, both RJ11 phone receps for lines 1 and 2 (we have 2 line Comcast service as well) and same as test loop, less than 5, inadequate REN requiring unplugging over 1/2 our 5 phones, most of which draw far less than 1REN, plugging in any combination of 3 of our phones fails to ring and the inadequate REN is the same with no phones, just one test phone or handset, and barely lower, insignificant according to FCC regs and all literature & manuals on the subject; actually, not insignificant, but rather proving our system works well & proper according to FCC & all sources, but that Comcast is providing <5REN & is the problem.

The problem is Comcast latest modems have inadequate REN (Ringer Equivalent Number). FCC requires supplier to supply 5 or more REN and devices, ie "handsets & telephones" to require 1 or less REN. Initially Comcast was confused, reading the device (telephone) needing LESS than 1 REN as the supplier needing to supply no more than one REN- makes no sense!, but this misunderstanding keeps coming up, obviously in their manuals. The techs admit, or claim to have heard mention of "REN" in passing in training, and typically then rapidly progress to feeling they are expert. So far not one has any better understanding than, after reminding them, that it has to do with ringing the phones. In the 50's, some phones were requiring excess power. Of course, you can hold phone wires w/out problem or shock. BUT, if you happen to be holding them when a ring comes in, you will feel an unpleasant shock at approx 70 volts up from imperceptible. FCC required phones requiring </=1 REN and the phone company to supply each customer 5REN or more so each household could have up to 5 phones and all to ring. Less than required REN causes either no ring, but Comcast TV display & other nonRing functions work, or occasionally what the manuals refer to as a 1/2 ring, sometimes so brief it cannot be heard over daytime background noise. TEch support, service may give lip service to testing their recent modems for REN output, but so far not one tech has been able to do even after prolonged time calling their supervisors.  After I get out my REN meter (BK Precision Telephone Line Analyzer Model 1042) and show them Ring power is below adequate to ring a phone (regardless that electronic phones require less current, they still require a threshold of milliAmps/current with voltage maintained at Ring boosted signaling threshold voltage, 60-70V).

Regardless that I show them the literature, plenty on the internet re: REN or Ringer Equivalents, and/or Number, or manuals, or explain my phones including my wooden antique we rebuilt to <1REN or likewise my phone booth phone, or that we have a 10 extension 4 line cordless AT&T modern phone system & therefore have far fewer phones than even & NEVER had inadequate REN before (with 3 or 4 times as many phones).

All the techs insist my phones/equipment/system is the problem, increasingly as we prove otherwise, and ignore our using our test loop and service panel installed test phone plugged into the test loop port (required unplugging the entire house system) and the only bad wiring they did going first to ATT&’s equipment/box instead of directly to my test loop port disconnecting the house.  Only 1 tech, vaguely realizing the problem, told me that no only would I have to buy the batteries to supply Comcast modem that they charge me for & do not allow me to install my own, which I just did for the one that worked that they removed and will not return & insisted on installing this one, but he told me I would have to buy a REN booster for a couple hundred dollars (and it is only 1 REN boost).

FCC and common sense reading of its regulations, minimal REN is still needed, as is proper tech training and Comcast manuals & test equipment if they are going to compete for & service phone customers.  I expect to get somewhere next week with them and suggest that knowledge of this problem is key to resolution.  Shocking their engineers have been so uninformed, but the industry seems to be in its Wild West era, despite the cable and cellphone companies’ abuses of decades.

Of course in addition to disconnecting our wiring at the test loop to measure the REN, we also checked at the modem itself, both RJ11 phone receps for lines 1 and 2 (we have 2 line Comcast service as well) and same as test loop, less than 5, inadequate REN requiring unplugging over 1/2 our 5 phones, most of which draw far less than 1REN, plugging in any combination of 3 of our phones fails to ring and the inadequate REN is the same with no phones, just one test phone or handset, and barely lower, insignificant according to FCC regs and all literature & manuals on the subject; actually, not insignificant, but rather proving our system works well & proper according to FCC & all sources, but that Comcast is providing <5REN & is the problem.

New Poster

Has this been resolved?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 8 in conversation