Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Can't get my TN ported from ATT to Comcast

New Poster

Can't get my TN ported from ATT to Comcast

I have been trying to have my number ported from ATT to Comcast since last year too. It's been so frustrating! Comcast rep said it was ATT issue. ATT said it shouldn't be a problem to port it to over. After many futile hours of communicating and failed attempts, I gave up! Comcast never really figured it out and after waiting for feedback from their tech dept, I decided to move on.

I tried to port the number again yesterday (after 8 mos) and again, failed to port. 'Was given 'in ten years of working with Comcast, I've never had this issue'. And that was that. Again called ATT to allow to port the number but was reassured, the number was okay to port over. I was also given lots of incentive to signup with U-verse and things seem to head up in that direction.

I wish Comcast can figure out this porting issue. It's been a frustrating (and long) road.
New Poster

Re: Can't get my TN ported from ATT to Comcast

im having the same problem. my number was a bellsouth number which i had ported to a small voip server and now comast is telling me the same thing. well its a big fat lie! any number can be ported with the exception of cell numbers. some cells can be and some not.  im still fighting with comcast to take care of it or im going to report them.

Gold Problem Solver

3bee and honnybea-

I have notified the Administrator of both posts.  Please watch for a reply in this Thread during the business week.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Cable Expert

honnybea wrote:

im having the same problem. my number was a bellsouth number which i had ported to a small voip server and now comast is telling me the same thing. well its a big fat lie! any number can be ported with the exception of cell numbers. some cells can be and some not.  im still fighting with comcast to take care of it or im going to report them.

That's not true, there are some phone numbers that can't be ported. If it's been months since you switched service, you can NOT recover/port the number. It's gone man, let it go.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

I worked on this for 2 months, speaking to everyone from customer service to tech support in Comcast and AT&T.  I have received several explanations, none that have been valid.  One was that I must have a "pic freeze" which AT&T said I didn't have.  The second was that my number was associated with U-Verse, so I had it changed back to a land line.  After that, it was that my number somehow has to stay with AT&T due to the 911 service.  Frightening that no one gives us the real reason, and that Comcast must not want our phone business.

Regarding giving up the number, it's been around for 30 years...I'm not giving it up now!

Connection Expert

What happens if you call the number? Does it ring at someone else's house? If att has given your number away there is no way to get it back.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

I had the same issues and then I complained about it on Twitter.  @ComcastBill responded and had my phone number ported and working within an hour.  I would send him a message if you can, he knew exactly what to do.  What happened with my number is it originally belonged to Verizon so when it ported and failed it was sent back to Verizon and I had no phone number whatsoever.  No one I spoke with online or on the phone could help but then Bill fixed all my problems.  He is a lifesaver.

New Poster

No, I never had the phone number changed, because I didn't want to lose it.  I ended up not getting the Xfinity triple play, and settling for the bundle, while keeping my phone line with AT&T.  I talked to at least 7 people, and received 4 different answers...ridiculous!

Service Expert

This is an interesting read. It's easy to understand.

Portability: Keeping Your Phone Number When Changing Service Providers

It states this: (I've not found anything which states this was delayed. There could be a delay, but if so I didn't find it)

Background

Under the Federal Communications Commission’s (FCC’s) “local number portability” (LNP) rules, so long as you remain in the same geographic area, you can switch telephone service providers, including interconnected Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) providers, and keep your existing phone number.  If you are moving from one geographic area to another, however, you may not be able to take your number with you.  Therefore, subscribers remaining in the same geographic area can switch from a wireless, wireline, or VoIP provider to any other wireless, wireline or VoIP provider and still keep their existing phone numbers.

The Porting Period

The FCC has changed its number porting rules to shorten the porting period for “simple” ports from the current four days to one business day.  The new deadline applies to all simple ports, including “intermodal” ports such as wireline to wireless, wireless to wireline, wireline or wireless to VoIP or any other combination.  Simple ports generally do not involve more than one line or more complex adjustments to telephone switching equipment.  Wireline, wireless and interconnected Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) providers are required to meet this new, simple port deadline, which will take effect in late summer 2010 for most carriers.  Small, rural carriers have a longer period, until the beginning of 2011, to meet the new porting deadline.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

The porting issue is absolutely crazy.  I place my order to port my number over from AT&T on August 24.  My cable and internet worked the next day.  It is now October 20 and my number is still not ported.  I have made call after to call to both companies.  It is totally maddening.  At this point I need to figure out what to do.  If I turn off my Comcast service I was warned that I could lose the phone number that I want to keep but I refuse to keep paying for two phone lines. 

CCCarole wrote:

3bee and honnybea-

I have notified the Administrator of both posts.  Please watch for a reply in this Thread during the business week.

Service Expert

Goldie,  I replied in the thread you started about this issue http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Voice-Service-and-Equipment/Issues-Porting-My-Number-from-AT-amp-T-to-C...

Please do not post the same issue in multiple places. It is easier to help you when everything is kept in one place. Sometimes it gets confusing for everyone when an issue is in more than one place.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Problem Solver

Goldfield--

Sorry about the issues you are having. This issue was escalated yesterday  10/21/2011 and someone will be reaching out to you for a resolution.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Thanks
-Keisha-
Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 10 in conversation