Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

Can I use a separate voice modem?

New Poster

Can I use a separate voice modem?

I currently have comcast tv and data.  I have a xoom docsis 3 modem for internet.  I am interested in upgrading to voice service, but my current modem does not support telephony.

What I would like to do is buy a cheap docsis 2 emta modem and use that for voice only, while continuing to use my docsis 3 modem for data.  The only alternative would be buying a considerably more expensive docsis 3 emta modem.  I have talked to two customer service representatives, and they both insist that running two modems is completely impossible and that Comcast can only have one modem active in the system for any one account.  However, I have read a lot of stories on the internet about people doing exactly what I want to do without problems.

Two questions:

1) Is what I want to do possible?

2) If so, how do I get it implemented, given that the Comcast SOP is apparently designed not to let you do this?

Many thanks for your help!

Frequent Visitor

Re: Can I use a separate voice modem?

To Question #1 - Yes. For over 18 months I ran a leased EMTA modem for voice and a docsis 3 (Surfboard) separately. No issues in setup or provisioning. Due to a dual modem blow out (yes, both at the same time! Go figure) I'm currently running a leased ARRIS TG862G/CT for the EMTA (no data provisioned) and an old Surfboard 5101 for data. Registering and provisioning was accomplished for both with a tech here as he was setting the EMTA side of the ARRIS.

Question #2 - Good luck! Comcast is clamping down on equipment that is customer owned. They won't list any approved EMTA devices and it'll take luck and a nice person on the phone to activate the equipment. 1-855-OK-BEGIN.

If you want more interesting reading, lookup MoCA ver2.0 and wonder why all the equipment is NOT available via retail.

Hope this assists you.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Can I use a separate voice modem?

In regards to customer owned EMTAs, some areas simply do not support it at all, and other area require you buy a specific model from a specific company. Check with your local service cetner to see if customer owned modems for voice cervice are even allowed in the first place. If they aren't then Comcast won't activate the service, regardless of what agent you get.

However, keep in mind, if you do lease two modems, you may be subject to two leasing fees.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation