Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Caller ID shows incorrect time

New Poster

Caller ID shows incorrect time

I recently piurchased new phones - vtech cordless. Have set the time and date manually. However, when there's an incoming call the ttime of day jumps ahead 1 hour. I.e., when it's actually 3:00 pm the phone shows 4:00 pm. Seems to be associated -- somehow -- with caller ID. I have contacted the phone supplier and they maintain the problemis with Comcast. I've contacted Comcast and they can't seem to fix it. Any suggestions?

New Poster

Re: Caller ID shows incorrect time

I am experiencing a similar problem.  In my case the Caller ID time is about 45 minutes slower than the actual time.  In addition, one of my phones is similar to yours, in that a "feature" of the phone is to automatically "sync" itself with the phone company time whenever you receive a call.  So, when a call comes in your phone will adopt the incorrect time/date as supplied by the Caller ID.

I have contacted Comcast about this and for the most part they deny anything is wrong.  They did go through the trouble of creating a trouble ticket last week, but that's as far as it has gone.  I had a Comcast technician here the other day on an unrelated matter and I demonstrated the problem to him and he agreed something was not right, but he did not know what to do about it.

I believe the problem is the "time base" being used by Comcast.  Somewhere in their network is a master clock that is being used as a time base, and that master clock is not right.  I am using a Comcast supplied TG862 and if I check it's status page it shows a time that is 45 minutes slower than the actual time.  It doesn't matter if I reboot it, it always comes up with a time that is 45 minutes slow.

I don't know if the modem adds the time information to the Caller ID string, or if the Caller ID string is completely generated down the line at Comcast's server's, but the end result is the wrong time on Caller ID and, for those phones that sync with the phone line, the wrong time on the phone itself.

I am going to keep bugging Comcast about this problem, but I don't know if it's going to do any good.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation