Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

Caller ID Not Showing Up

Caller ID Not Showing Up

Ever since we changed Comcast sometimes i cannot see the Number or Name of whos calling any ideas what could be wrong ? I have some new VTech I5871 and ATT one and there exactly the same some phone numbers show and other nothing with no name?
Frequent Visitor

Re: Caller ID Not Showing Up

My parents are experiencing similar problems with their Comcast Digital Voice - out of state, non-cell phone calls show up as "out of area", and even some in-state calls do not display the caller ID. They report that previously (when they first started with CDV), caller ID worked fine all the calls coming in.

For myself, caller ID is working well.

Can anyone from Comcast provide troubleshooting tips or other suggestions?

Exactly or the number shows up 000-000-0000
Regular Contributor

Hello everyone

Here are some troubleshooting steps to take. Since there are a number of different types of caller ID units, I will provide some things to try that should work with most, if not all, units..

Make sure your unit is a "Call Waiting Call ID" or "Second Call Waiting Call ID" device (this can be found on the back of the device using the initials "SCWID"). If it is not, this can cause many problems (for example, when on a call you get a second call and the first call drops, or you may hear a loud screeching sound).

If the unit is battery powered (some phones also have this feature), make sure the batteries are fresh (it is a good idea to change them once a year).

Check to see that the unit is connected directly to the wall outlet. If it has a built-in jack, verify that the cord from the wall goes into the "tel in" jack.

If the issue continues after these things have been completed, attempt a "hard reset."

1) Remove the unit from the telephone jack.

2) Unplug from any power source.

3) Remove any batteries.

4) Wait 5 minuets.

5) Put the batteries back in, plug the unit back into the power source and then back into the telephone jack.

If this does not resolve the issue, please contact us .

In some cases, the data is not transferring to the Comcast switching equipment, which would prevent it from being displayed.

If "unknown, unavailable", or "out of area" are displaying, these are long distance calls or businesses and the information is either not being transmitted, or is being lost in transmission.

As for cell phone calls, how the information is displayed may depend on the cell tower that the calling party is connecting through.

I hope that this answers your questions. Thank you for posting them!

Message Edited by JimWe on 05-18-2007 10:29 AM

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation