Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Call screening is not call blocking

Regular Visitor

Call screening is not call blocking

We are being harassed by incessant calls about a possible scam/criminal craigs list ad. Apparently the lister didn't want calls (probably only wanted email), so forwarded all calls to our number without our permission or us even knowing who they are. Comcast has been no help. They cannot block the original forwarding number which we acquired by asking questions to callers. The interested "buyers" call this scumbag's number.... it gets forwarded and our number rings. All hours of the day and night. Every five minutes. Comcast won't help. Police came and determined it was a google voice number, but it will take time for the investigation and tracing. The Do Not Call List complaint was made. Complaint to FCC made. Google Voice support is no where to be found. Craiglist has removed the original listing, but we think they just put up additional ones using the same scumbag's number which he/she agains forwards to us. So for now, the phone rings nonstop. We get calls from all over the country, Canada, even Peru! No help from Comcast. How can this  be stopped?

New Poster

Re: Call screening is not call blocking

unfortunately, change your number and unlist it...

Regular Visitor

I never got any calls from people I didn't know until I switched to Comcast and got on the "do not call" list, now I get at least three a day with caller ID saying unknown number or a number with a dozen or so numbers after it that when returned says that it can not be reached in this area. I checked this out but Comcast said there was nothing I could do but block the numbers individually which is hard to do when no number is posted. No one leaves a voicemail. I know some of these are scams but the only thing to do is either change my number and notify everyone on my contact list of it and if that doesn't work I'll no longer be able to take advantage of the cable tv/internet/phone option which I think saves me money but don't know. I can't afford to pay $190.- for channels I hardly ever watch and a phone system that drives me nuts. It wouldn't be so bad if my doctors didn't have a restricted number or other govt agencies didn't do the same. I can't blame all this on comcast but the do not call list may be to blame, at least a change of number will get rid of them I hope. If anyone knows how to to fix this problem please let me know. Otherwise I'll just have to stumble my way through.

Contributor

Curious why can't the forwarding number thats known be blocked ?

From what I see they have a google voice account and any incoming calls are forwarded to you home number so you home number isn't the one listed on cragislist but the google # ? 

Perhaps this is what happened   https://productforums.google.com/d/msg/voice/Rqyp7X6IA8Q/B46cIQ76lQkJ  or post here https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!categories/voice/making-and-receiving-calls

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Comcast told me I can only screen incoming numbers which are the people answering the ad. We asked a few callers what number they dialed and that's how we got the scammer's number. We've never received a call from the scammer's number which is listed in the ads appearing in every state in the country. We never verified the forwarding. (the two number code or whatever). Still trying to reach Google to report the violation of their TOS so hopefully they will disable their account or remove our number from their forward list. If anyone can explain how we can type in the scammer's number and block it on comcast, I'd appreciate it. Three different comcast reps said they couldn't do it. Thanks for the links!

Contributor

Never thought about it but how is is it different from doing a propererties / details from a received email ? with the original ip or in this case phone number with all the transfers along the way ? probably a FCC thing ..

I personally would have no issue contacting corporate offices and explaining..perhaps they can freeze the account pending verification...then again the FCC...still give it shot..

G/L and keep us updated

Google Inc.
1600 Amphitheatre Parkway
Mountain View, CA 94043
USA
telephone: +1 650 253 0000
fax: +1 650 253 0001

https://support.google.com/voice/?hl=en

Regular Visitor

dotbiz.... thank you so much! We decided not to wait for google to get back to us and took the advice from one of your links above. We set up our own google voice account using our comcast/compromised number as the forwarding one they require during setup. A popup screen warned that our number was being used by another google voice number and it would be removed from it with verification, were we sure? Darn straight! It  then took our number away from the scammer. We still don't know how they hacked our number in the first place, but what is important is that the phone has now gone quiet. Thanks again!

Contributor

Good job !  I like it ! ...Just feel sorry for people that aren't tech savy...

jim

Regular Visitor

Check your PM's. You have no idea how your help really helped. Keep moving it forward.