Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Call Screening protocols & why only 12 numbers

New Poster

Call Screening protocols & why only 12 numbers

I receive MANY telemarketing and frankly "scammy" calls during the course of a week, and it disrupts my concentration (I work a lot from my home office)...don't mind taking a call when it is a client, but I NEVER want to take a call from someone offering to lower my credit card rates, refinance my house, or the like.  I QUICKLY used up the 12 numbers I am allowed to screen/block and wonder why I can't block more (I simply would call the screening service after each call and "block the last incoming call" as the directions allow...nice and easy!)...seems that I shold be able to block an infinte number of callers...and if we all did that, eventually the telemarketers would go away...also..where can I review the list of the numbers I have blocked?  I have searched in vain for such a listing in consideration of perhaps removing a few numbers in favor of some others...this is a really good feature, but there needs to be a whole lot more of it...

Expert

Re: Call Screening protocols & why only 12 num

The call screening list can be reviewed and changed in Smartzone or Xfinity Connect under preferences / call screening.

screen3.JPG

I sure don't know what makes some more susceptible to telemarketers that others.  I never get calls from telemarketers, where I've been over to friends that do.  I've had an unlisted number for 32 years, so maybe that has something to do with it.  My Wife's cousin has one of these tele-zapper units on her phone which seems to help too.

Expert

I gave up on CDV for this very reason. Even with the number on the do-not-call list, I got garbage phone calls all the time. You can pay Comcast to have the number unlisted, but I'm not willing to pay that fee. 

I now have Vonage and a Google number, problem solved.

Regular Visitor

I complained to Comcast about this and got a polite reply that basically said they had no plans to expand the number beyond 12.  When I filled up my 12 number call screening allotment I decided to use selective call forwarding to forward new numbers that I wish to block to a fax number in my home office that I don't use anymore.  It seems that an unlimited number of numbers can be added to selective call forwarding, while call blocking is limited to 12.  I don't get the annoying disruptive calls anymore, and the telemarketer/scammer/robocaller gets a shrieking fax noise!  You could also figure out some disconnected number with a "no longer in service" recording to forward those numbers too and I think they would give up on calling you pretty shortly.