Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Call Blocking Possible?

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

Call Blocking Possible?

Is it possible to block incoming calls?  Seem to be on a "You won a ton of ca$h" scam list and get 3-4 calls daily - sometimes more!  Thanks

Accepted Solution

Re: Call Blocking Possible?

There are ways to screen calls, go online on Xfinity connect, choose preferences and call screening.  Choose all anonymous calls, and selective call rejection and add the number of who is calling you.

screen.JPG

View answer in context
Cable Expert

There are ways to screen calls, go online on Xfinity connect, choose preferences and call screening.  Choose all anonymous calls, and selective call rejection and add the number of who is calling you.

screen.JPG

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your prompt response.

New Poster

I tried the call rejection options. They are not working. We keep getting a call from someone in Africa. All hours of the day and night. It's driving us crazy. We can not communicate with them due to the language barrier. Can you help us?

Frequent Visitor

Can't seem to make this solution work --- any others out there?  (Call blocking)

New Poster

New Poster

I have Anonymous calls blocked as well as selected numbers that come in with garbage names.  I still receive calls that say "Unknown Name, Number not available"  I just got one at about 8:30AM Sunday Morning.

This seems about as anonymous as it gets, yet it is not blocked.

Problem Solver

--

Sorry about the issues that you are having.

Are you saying that you have entered the phone number that they are calling from and that same number is getting through? If so then we need to escalate this issue with a ticket that your call screening isn't working.

If they are calling from blocked, private or a different number each time, that's something different.

Can you clarify for me so that I know which route to stake for troubleshooting to get your issue resolved.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.

Thanks
-Keisha-
Problem Solver

All,

Anonymous Call Rejection blocks all incoming calls from people who have deliberately blocked their caller ID, either using the Caller ID Block per Call feature (*67) or the Caller ID Block per Line feature.  Typically, their caller ID would show as “Anonymous,” “Private,” or “Private Caller.”  Those inbound callers will instead hear a message that the customer does not want to receive a call from any party that has blocked their caller ID.

Anonymous Call Rejection will not Block any call where the caller ID information is not reported or is incomplete.  For example, calls that either display “Unknown,” just the city and/or state, or just the telephone number are all permitted to ring through.

Now for call screening, It's used for Customers who do not wish to be disturbed by certain people may use the Call Screening feature to block up to twelve telephone numbers.  Inbound callers from those numbers will hear a polite message indicating that they are not receiving calls at this time.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon

Thanks
-Keisha-
Frequent Visitor

Just spent the better part of an hour attempting to access call screening option --- cannot get past "enter your password" --- which I did --- many times!  This is really frustrating!

New Poster

Your Anonymous Call Blocking does not appear to be working.  Even though I have it enabled, I just received a call from "Private Caller".  This should have been blocked.

I also do not understand why "Name unavailable" and "unknown number' are not considered anonymous.  I never answer any call from anyone who does not have the nerve to identify themselves.  I try to block them with *60, but that frequently doesn't work.  These constant, unknown callls are extremely irritating.

Frequent Visitor

Hooray ---finally got it done!  Simple --- just dial *60!

Whee!

New Poster

Hi, is there some way to ask that Comcast change their policy, specifically to include blocking "Unknown" and "Private" callers? It seems to me the telemarketers have figured this out and purposefully do not report or give incomplete ID information. Thank you!!

(I am referring to the Administrator's comment:

Anonymous Call Rejection will not Block any call where the caller ID information is not reported or is incomplete.  For example, calls that either display “Unknown,” just the city and/or state, or just the telephone number are all permitted to ring through.)

Problem Solver

All,

For unwanted telemarketer and solicited calls please add your number to the National Do Not Call Registry. https://www.donotcall.gov/. All the information you need is listed there for rules and regulation's for both landline phones and cell phone numbers. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Thanks
-Keisha-
Regular Visitor

I see she didn't answer your question directly so the answer must be:

No, blocking individual telephone numbers for your phone is not something we at Comcast can do.  Try a different phone service.

Cable Expert

rebeth wrote:

I see she didn't answer your question directly so the answer must be:

No, blocking individual telephone numbers for your phone is not something we at Comcast can do.  Try a different phone service.

Selective call rejection will block up to 12 individual telephone numbers as the answer up the post states.

That is a separate setup than anonymous call rejection..

What you have posted is a false statement.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Regular Visitor

OK, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt but Comcast's goofy site won't let me, a fully unrestricted account change or even see what I cannot change--so I can get to the call screening area.  Too much trouble just to block calls.  I'm going to a different vendor.

Regular Visitor

I am having almost the same issue. I am getting the "credit card services" phishing scam calls weekly. Each time it is a different number and the numbers I see on the caller id are most likely false. I have my number on both the state and country donotcall list already. I keep putting the numbers on my call screening list but, like I said, each time it is a different number.

Is there a way to trace these to a real number and be done with them for good?

Regular Visitor

I was in the process of trying to turn off my phone service.  After reading these posts I'll try to get this service to work for me.  If it's still a problem, I'll be turning off my phone and using cell only.  My problem is from collection agents trying to contact someone I don't know.  Probably the previous owner of the number I was given.  I have great credit.  I don't need, or want to deal with these people.

Frequent Visitor

1 - hang up on caller --- 2 pick up phone & dial *60 and follow directions!  It works!

Problem Solver

All,

Sorry about the inconveniences.

If you are getting calls from collectors, charities and telemarketers do your best to answer the call, get the companies name and contact information and the rep you talked with. Ask them to remove your name and number from their distribution list permanently now and from future calls.

It's always best to answer the call and speak with someone in authority because most companies own multiple phone numbers and blocking that one number will allow them to call you from one of their other numbers they have.

Try this out.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Thanks
-Keisha-
Frequent Visitor

I have had the same number call up to 26 times ( on friday) and I answered the first 3 of them to tell them to stop calling and nobody ever answers! today they have called 14 times already. They call every minute for 5 minutes every hour. I have them on the call block list yet they still get through. What do i do if I have no idea who they are or who they are looking for

New Poster

I am getting calls during the middle of the night from an overseas number and it is very disturbing and want to know if there is a way to completely block this number from going through. If there is a way to stop this call once and for all, I would appreciate your help in letting me know how to accomplish this feature.  Thank you!

Connection Expert

Roger559 wrote:

I was in the process of trying to turn off my phone service.  After reading these posts I'll try to get this service to work for me.  If it's still a problem, I'll be turning off my phone and using cell only.  My problem is from collection agents trying to contact someone I don't know.  Probably the previous owner of the number I was given.  I have great credit.  I don't need, or want to deal with these people.

You could get a new number. Let someone else get this number and handle the collectors. If you are going to have everyone call you on your cell you could just as easily have them call you on the new number. it would save your cell minutes.Smiley Happy

Community Icon
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

I cannot get the Call Blocking feature to accept the number 000-000-0000.  Comcast, can you block this number?

New Poster

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

(sorry )

(neighbor's numerous calls gone; can answer phone again w/o looking @ caller ID)

Thanks for the reply. Needless to say, it works! :-)

(how to do this on cell? jk this is enough lol) THANKS again!

New Poster

How do I block unwanted calls?

New Poster

I have tried this 3 times now, and calls are still coming in, have only two numbers I need to block at this point

one is a cell phone(or think it is) and the other a hard line, but can not understand the person talking.

When I called the office the other day, said all I had to do is get on line here and do it......but if I signout and

come back 5 minutes later they are not listed........am I missing a save button somewhere

Thank you

Cable Expert

The save button is at the top left of the screening page.

Please double check that you are entering the 10 digit number with the dash's, 311-555-1212.

save.JPG

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

New Poster

Comcast should consider upping the limit for call blocking to at least 50 #s (100 would be better)! Sprint allows at least 50 numbers. Better yet would be an ability to block all calls from A/C xxx or numbers with A/C and prefix xxx-124-<wildcard for last 4>.

As prior poster mentioned, these scammers call from a different number every time. These folks don't care about DNC lists (I've had all my numbers on them since day-1). Reports on Internet is that when people tell them that they aren't allowed to call, etc. that sometimes the caller swears at them and just hangs up. Too much effort to report every call to FCC and nothing will happen anyway.

Many spoof CID info as well.

Short of blocking all unknown callers or CID-blocked callers, there has to be some "defensive mechanism" that Comcast can allow us to implement. After all it ties up Comcast bandwidth as well as aggravates the consumer?

What say you Comcast?

New Poster

<Comcast should consider upping the limit for call blocking to at least 50 #s (100 would be better)!>

Agree in full here; a limit of 12 is too small: we're a relatively new Comcast customer and we're already at our limit.

<Better yet would be an ability to block all calls from A/C xxx or numbers with A/C and prefix xxx-124-<wildcard for last 4>.>

Again, agree in full; there should be an easy means of implementation, given the nature of Comcast's backhaul.

I'll be interested in hearing Comcast's reply here.

New Poster

Comcast, how about REAL call screening?

Comcast's "call screening" is like trying to extinguish a forest fire with a bucket of water.  Twelve is NOT ENOUGH to block individual numbers.  One charity calls me from 6 numbers alone.  They should block UNKNOWN numbers and specified AREA CODES as well. 

Those changes might make it worthwhile, but now it's pretty worthless.   I am on every "do not call" list in existance but scammers do not care, and don't waste your time talking to them....or trying  to, they just call you names or hang up.  

New Poster

Re: Comcast, how about REAL call screening?

<Twelve is NOT ENOUGH to block individual numbers.>

+1

<They should block UNKNOWN numbers and specified AREA CODES as well.>

+1

If Comcast implements a much more robust call screening function -- say, the ability to block up to 2,500 numbers at any Comcast voice account -- I see several upsides for Comcast: (i) a competitive advantage against other service providers with Comcast offering state-of-the-art call blocking on a large scale, (ii) a gradual shut-down of voice spammers, with anonymous callers no longer able to reach Comcast clients, (iii) happier customers, and (iv) lower call volumes routed through Comcast's voice system.

I strongly encourage Comcast to work on this idea.

Comcast, where could we write to voice our concern here?

Regular Visitor

Thank you.

SJK

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats