Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

Bogus Number ... Confusion.

New Poster

Bogus Number ... Confusion.

I've been using the same home telephone number for the last ten years, at least. It's the same number, even before I started using Xfinity Voice. 

The problem is, for the last few years, I started seeing a new number on my Comcast bill alongside my old number. No idea who's number it is or where it came from. I called it and it goes to a voicemail box which I can also access online. This mystery number doesn't ring anywhere, at least not at my house, which raises some concerns. I looked up my address online and it shows where I live to have two lines ... my original home number and the new bogus number. So, the new bogus number is associated with my name, on my Xfinity account, and on my bill ... but it doesn't ring to my house even though I'm using the data/voice modem for all my communications.

I've contacted Comcast numerous times over the last two years and no one has been able to give me a difinitive answer or help me out as to why my old number (which I use and want to keep) still works and this other mystery number doesn't. 

The problem is ... even though I'm on "Do-Not-Call" lists, I still get calls. Less frequently but I do. It's annoying and I don't appreciate having an "800" call me during the day. I can't manage my home number online and Comcast is oblivious to its existence even though it's an active number which I use as my home number for people to contact me. 

My original home number "disappeared" from my bill and only this new number shows up. The new number ... I don't want it and it's not active. The old number is still active. 

I'm getting billed for a line that I don't use basically. No idea what to do

What gives? This has been an issue ongoing for at least two years. I end up contacting Comcast with the promise that they'll handle it ... and it's only gotten worst.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation