Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Assorted Questions on Digital Voice Installation

Frequent Visitor

Assorted Questions on Digital Voice Installation

Hello,

1. I've had awful luck with Comcast installers so the $30 installation charge was an inital deal breaker for me, even though the sales rep. assured me that for CDV, an expert, Comcast technician is assiged to the job, not a sub-contractor.  How true is this?

2. When is the $30 installation charge billed?  Is it after the installation is complete, tested and working to my satisfaction?  I live in a condo and have 3 phones and a fax machine, so I would need to use the internal wiring.  From what I've read on these forums, I get the impression I really won't know for sure if this is possible until the technician comes out.  Basically, I don't want to get charged $30 for the technician to tell me I can't get CDV, for some reason or another.

3. Currently I have a Verizon POTS line and I want to keep my number, which Comcast will take care of, but if I can't get CDV, for one reason or another, what happens to my Verizone line?  I can just imagine all kinds of hassles resulting from that situation.

4. The current deal running for my situation is that for $40 more, I get CDV, all the movie channels, sports package and bumped up to the 8 Mb/s internet tier.  When would that kick in, before or after the installation of CDV?

Thanks in advance.
Regular Visitor

Re: Assorted Questions on Digital Voice Installation

I can only offer my personal experience, which seemed a little unusual. I already had tv, and internet. My installation for CDV was 49.95. I was to pay on the day of installation. They came, brought a new modem, and made the proper connections to my phone, tv, pc, and I paid them. The weird part was that on my next bill I saw a credit for 49.95, but the total bill was still the same as always, it didnt include a bill for the CDV. Then on my next bill was the new total that included the CDV and a bill for the 49.95. So, six of one half dozen of another.

I can give you a tip for the installation though. You dont have to hover over them, but do check in with the installer every few minutes, so you can see what they are doing and ask any questions. I have avoided a good few problems by just communicating well with the installer. Express your concerns and ask questions.
Regular Contributor

Hi otamywy,

I am going to answer both of your post at the same time.

Regarding "How do I know it even works?" you said, "So when Comcast makes that final call to release my number, is that instantaneous? Will I have to cut a check before I even know if my 3 phones and fax machines can receive incoming data?"

The porting process should be seamless. People calling you should be able to reach you without interruption. All of your phones and your fax machine will work prior to the technician leaving (he will verify this with you).

"Will Comcast give what amounts to a ‘free estimate’?"

If there is a working cable outlet in the room that you want the eMTA placed (normally where your CHSI modem is), we will not have to run new cable. In most cases we will connect to your inside wiring.

As for additional lines: At this time we only provide two lines into any home. If you are talking about telephone jacks, we can activate the existing jacks if your home is wired for two lines; if not, then we would also need to run new telephone lines unless you decide to go directly to the back of the eMTA (this would limit you to having to place the phone in that room or use a cordless telephone for that line). If there is additional wiring needed, the technician will tell you prior to doing this and you can determine at this point if you want to continue. If you decide not to and cancel the installation there will be no charge, "no harm no foul." We will miss having you as a valued customer but will honor your decision.

I hope this answers your questions, if not please contact us  or email me .

Thank you for considering Comcast as your telephone provider!

Jim

Bronze Problem Solver

huh?
Email Expert

JimWe seems to have gotten this thread confused with the other 2 threads that the OP started.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation